• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

no algonquin wolves in algonquin park? (1 Viewer)

scuba0095

HEllo

I just got back from algonquin park and we did not see anything there but when we were leaving the park and getting close to the 417 we saw a HUGE wolf bigger then any wolf i have seen in zoos cross the road.

I have seen 100s of wolves in zoos and nothing was even close to the size of this wolf!

I don't get it i thought only alongquin wolves lived in algonquin park?? We even stopped the car to look at it and it stared stopped at the side of the road and just stared at our car. Got a real good look it was pure black.

Does anyone know where i can view pictures of algonquin wolves ? Like a big gallary of them?

This just doesnt make sense as this wolf looked like a northern timber valley wolf the kind we see at yellowstone NOT algonquin park! Anyone out there that can help me identify it ? thanks

Actually, Abbigail, that article explains a lot of what Scuba saw. Black, larger, male (assumed) inside park alone. I'd be curious if others have seen it too. If that wolf could talk, he'd probably have an interesting story to tell.

Here's a link to a good write up on the Algonquin park wolves. http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/nature/mammals/whatr_wolves.html
My wife almost patted a wolf in the park. We were camped there in mid- to late May 1965. That early in the season, there were very few people in the Park. It cut through our campsite at night and she thought it was a dog and reached out to pat it then realized how big it was. Much bigger than a German Shepherd. We talked to a member of the Park staff about the incident and he told us that the Park naturalists had been cross breeding wolves from other areas with the local wolves and releasing the off-spring in the Park. He even suggested that there had been deliberate cross breeding with dogs. I've never seen any official acknowledgment of this cross breeding program but it would certainly explain variations showing up in the present day population.

Last edited:
I would be very skeptical of any reports of park service releasing wolf dog, or even hybrid populations of other wolves, into any park. Not sure Why they would bother anyway in Algonquin, since the wolves there have always existed there, and are not a result of reintroduction.

Also of interest is that the wolves in this part of Canada (I think anyway), are sometimes considered a separate species, the Timber Wolf, and are more closely related to Red Wolves than Gray Wolves. Wolf taxonomy is an absolute mess however.

I would be very skeptical of any reports of park service releasing wolf dog, or even hybrid populations of other wolves, into any park. Not sure Why they would bother anyway in Algonquin, since the wolves there have always existed there, and are not a result of reintroduction.

Also of interest is that the wolves in this part of Canada (I think anyway), are sometimes considered a separate species, the Timber Wolf, and are more closely related to Red Wolves than Gray Wolves. Wolf taxonomy is an absolute mess however.

It was dead right when a wolf was a wolf was a wolf.

Enter left early man, top con job ever: come on wolf, you can be my best friend. Here we are with absurdities from Chihuahuas to Bulldogs to Shitzus and people that think the best thing to do with a real wolf is kill it.

Messing up their taxonomy is the least worst thing we've done to them.

John

ok, so according to the first and so far only released volume of Handbook of Mammals of the World, the Alonquin Park wolves might actually be Red Wolves....but more study is needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back