• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid 10x42 Olive Green Edition (1 Viewer)

thisdudeisgood

The Dude Abides
Greetings

Thought I'd advise the forum that I've just taken delivery of a brand new pair of these today. Truly dighted with the quality design and performance (after a back garden once over). The date on the box of this unit is 04/07/2021.

However I was rather surprised and a little bit annoyed that they say made in Portugal on them an not made in Germany. I thought the flagship Noctivid was made in Germany and had no prior information to the contrary. Thus must be a very recent development. All the marketing I've seen still says the Noctivid is made in Germany.

I'm posting this just to inform other forum users to be prepared for a possible 'made in Portugal' label on your new premium 'German' optics.

As I say, I had no prior knowledge these (at least the 10x42 Olive edition) are now being made in Portugal. Everyone wants and expects the 'made in Germany' label right?

I'm thinking of returning them and next time specifying I want a made in Germany unit. They are marketed as being so and I assumed they would be and as they are not I feel short changed somehow and just paid £1800 for a premium 'German' optic.

Does anyone know that the Noctivid, at least some of them, are made in Portugal? Is there anything I should know about these units Vs German made? And am I being foolish by considering returning them. They seem perfect in all other regards but this issue is irritating me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Greetings

Thought I'd advise the forum that I've just taken delivery of a brand new pair of these today. Truly dighted with the quality design and performance (after a back garden once over). The date on the box of this unit is 04/07/2021.

However I was rather surprised and a little bit annoyed that they say made in Portugal on them an not made in Germany. I thought the flagship Noctivid was made in Germany and had no prior information to the contrary. Thus must be a very recent development. All the marketing I've seen still says the Noctivid is made in Germany.

I'm posting this just to inform other forum users to be prepared for a possible 'made in Portugal' label on your new premium 'German' optics.

As I say, I had no prior knowledge these (at least the 10x42 Olive edition) are now being made in Portugal. Everyone wants and expects the 'made in Germany' label right?

I'm thinking of returning them and next time specifying I want a made in Germany unit. They are marketed as being so and I assumed they would be and as they are not I feel short changed somehow and just paid £1800 for a premium 'German' optic.

Does anyone know that the Noctivid, at least some of them, are made in Portugal? Is there anything I should know about these units Vs German made? And am I being foolish by considering returning them. They seem perfect in all other regards but this issue is irritating me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
I meant to say Delighted with all other aspects. Amazing build quality etc. Case is cheap though.

No matter where it is made, it is manufactured by Leica and according to Leica standards in a Leica factory in Portugal. If you liked the product I say keep it without any reservation and enjoy a quality binoculars :)

Leica has already for quite some time a binocular/camera fabric in Portugal and there is nothing wrong with it, the quality of the instruments made there is simply excellent and it is only our customer psychology that wants made in Germany on it.
Gijs van Ginkel

No matter where it is made, it is manufactured by Leica and according to Leica standards in a Leica factory in Portugal. If you liked the product I say keep it without any reservation and enjoy a quality binoculars :)
It's certainly of the highest standard in all regards I agree with that. And I do like it very much. Thanks

It's certainly of the highest standard in all regards I agree with that. And I do like it very much. Thanks

LEICA PORTUGAL PLANT

...Most of the Leica binoculars and telescopes are made in Portugal, but I did see binoculars being worked on in Wetzlar during my last visit there as well. Without going too deeply into what is made where, the two facilities work closely together. Many subassemblies are made in the Portugal plant and then shipped to Wetzlar for final assembly. Add items which are not made in house, like sensors for instance, and the question of where a camera, a lens or a pair of binoculars is being made becomes difficult to answer at best.

However, it is my understanding that a lot of the final assembly steps are done in Wetzlar, as is the final testing before packaging and shipping.

International trade rules allow a company to state as the final country of origin, where an item is assembled and deemed ready for shipment. Therefore most Leica items are labelled “Made in Germany.”

From Leica reddot forum

The motivation behind this move is straightforward. Last year, the US Trade Representative imposed a 25% tariff on a wide range of European goods, including German-made optics. Leica instituted a small price increase to partially cover some of this additional expense. In an effort to mitigate this financial burden for US customers, Leica created a new production line in their existing Portugal facility. Apart from the “Made in Portugal” instead of “Made in Germany” engraving, the lenses are identical in design, manufacture and warranty.

Last edited:
Leica has already for quite some time a binocular/camera fabric in Portugal and there is nothing wrong with it, the quality of the instruments made there is simply excellent and it is only our customer psychology that wants made in Germany on it.
Gijs van Ginkel
Yes I was aware of that and that the Trinovid HD etc was made there. So is it common knowledge the Noctivid is too? Only last year the top guy at Leica was interviewed by Troubadour on this forum saying how the Noctivid was assembled in Germany so when did that change? The made in Germany is what it's marketed as and what's expected. It needs to stop being marketed as being made in Germany as its false advertising. Like a BMW made in Estonia when marketed as being made in Germany. Thanks

Info regarding LEICA PORTUGAL PLANT

...International trade rules allow a company to state as the final country of origin, where an item is assembled and deemed ready for shipment. Therefore most Leica items are labelled “Made in Germany.”

From Leica reddot forum

The motivation behind this move is straightforward. Last year, the US Trade Representative imposed a 25% tariff on a wide range of European goods, including German-made optics. Leica instituted a small price increase to partially cover some of this additional expense. In an effort to mitigate this financial burden for US customers, Leica created a new production line in their existing Portugal facility. Apart from the “Made in Portugal” instead of “Made in Germany” engraving, the lenses are identical in design, manufacture and warranty.
Thanks very much for that much appreciated, it is good information. Does that mean I've been sold a model destined for the American Market but sold in the UK by a UK store?

Thanks very much for that much appreciated, it is good information. Does that mean I've been sold a model destined for the American Market but sold in the UK by a UK store?
There is no difference in the “Made in Germany vs Made in Portugal” Noctivid. In your case the final assembly took place in Portugal it’s the same binocular.

I would like to agree with the above again, just forget the "Made in Germany" or "Made in Portugal", it makes no difference!
By the way, congratulations, a very good pair of binocular, enjoy it.

Andreas

There is no difference in the “Made in Germany vs Made in Portugal” Noctivid. In your case the final assembly took place in Portugal it’s the same binocular.
I'm satisfied the finished product is the same. And the finest product at that, no doubt about that. However in my opinion the made in Germany vs Portugal will indeed influence a prospective purchaser who may go Zeiss or Swarovski instead. The reputation of German made optics is legendary and what a customer after a premium optic wants. In my opinion if Leica marketed the Noctivid as being made in Portugal (which they don't) they would sell less units regardless of quality. I'm annoyed that these aren't made in Germany, mostly because I was led to believe they were. Thanks again for your great input.

"However in my opinion the made in Germany vs Portugal will indeed influence a prospective purchaser who may go Zeiss or Swarovski instead"
I would not run to the blue shield yet, who knows where their stuff will be made in the future.

"However in my opinion the made in Germany vs Portugal will indeed influence a prospective purchaser who may go Zeiss or Swarovski instead"
I would not run to the blue shield yet, who knows where their stuff will be made in the future.
I've had all the big 3 and I'm definitely a Leica person. Best image for my eyes and superior product all round in my opinion. This Noctivid is sensational. Really glorious and the best bin I've ever looked through. Zeiss image is OK but build quality not on a par with Leica or Swarovski in my opinion. Thanks for your comment.

I've had all the big 3 and I'm definitely a Leica person. Best image for my eyes and superior product all round in my opinion. This Noctivid is sensational. Really glorious and the best bin I've ever looked through. Zeiss image is OK but build quality not on a par with Leica or Swarovski in my opinion. Thanks for your comment.
Although the fabric case included with the Noctivid is really truly inferior with a tiny wee flimsy cheap zip and crap fabric. I don't use a case anyway so of no great consequence for me but it's noticeably cheap compared to the ultra premium binocular inside it. If anyone is thinking about getting a Noctivid... Its really fabulous, a great investment. Thanks

thisdudeisgood,
The Leica factory in Portugal exists already for a long time and there is no difference between made in Germany or made in Portugal, both are of the same high quality. And that quality is really what matters and not the country where the factory and quality control is located.
Gijs van Ginkel

Jan,
And I do not care as long as Leitz/Leica signs for its top quality, and as far as I have seen it did for binoculars either assembled in Germany or in Portugal.
Gijs van Ginkel

I just sent mine in for a focusing issue. The focusing lens is shifting and getting out of alignment when changing directions when focusing. I know Leica will fix it and I am not worried. I have had to send in made in Germany optic’s for warranty service and also made in Austria. 🙂

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back