• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid Dioptre issue (1 Viewer)

Iceberg slim

Fly by night
United Kingdom
Hi has anyone had issues with the Dioptre setting on the se binoculars, when i can set it to my designated setting, the next time i try to refocus, it has slipped again, it still has a definite click out , click in sound, its just it won't stay put.
I sent these back to Leica through my original dealer, but they denied there was an issue, no doubting it now though, I had 10x42 Ba and ONs , they seemed absolutely bomb proof, also my mate has the same issue, with same Binocular.
This will be me without any back up Binoculars for a couple of months at least?

This is a common problem on cheap bins but I don't think I've heard of it on a Noctivid before. Does the setting wander visibly from where you set it, or do you just find that you have to readjust, and thus end up in a different position on the scale? People do sometimes find they need to readjust the diopter for whatever reason, and tips have been given on this forum for getting it right, but this sounds like an easily repeatable problem and it's hard to understand why Leica service couldn't identify it.

'If' i can set it to my requisite position, then i leave the bins, then go back five minutes later, they dioptere setting will not click into position, and with the click setting all the way in the setting scale just moves the whole spectrum, when trying to set, its definitely not fixable without stripping the dioptere housing down, and i have neither the knowledge or tools to attempt it...

As a matter of interest I had exactly the same problem with my Noctivids last year. I returned them to the dealer but as Leica was shut due to Covid I decided to take a small loss and bought some Zeiss SF’s. 3rd pair of Leica’s that I had a problem with ( others were Ultravids ) so that’s it now - no more Leica again. They seem to be falling well behind Zeiss and Swarovski now anyway.

The older leicas were bullet proof, but i knew i had issues when in Peru, but i started doubting my sanity, when the AD could find no issues, anyway i traded in + a cash adjustment for some Brand new 10x32 Els, i'm afraid Leica have lost me for good....

There are many stories like these for the other two premium European glass also, personally I have never had a major problem with any of the three.

Neither have i before this, and over the last 25 years i have had 10x42 BA & BNs, Ultravid 10x42, and Ultravid HDs, the only indue i ever had, ws the Armouring De-lamming on a my Ultravids

As a matter of interest I had exactly the same problem with my Noctivids last year. I returned them to the dealer but as Leica was shut due to Covid I decided to take a small loss and bought some Zeiss SF’s. 3rd pair of Leica’s that I had a problem with ( others were Ultravids ) so that’s it now - no more Leica again. They seem to be falling well behind Zeiss and Swarovski now anyway.
i have heard also very bad things about the zeiss service as well , so saying that Leica is falling behind the other 2 is a personal thing

i have heard also very bad things about the zeiss service as well , so saying that Leica is falling behind the other 2 is a personal thing
The service I have received from Zeiss through East Coast Optics has been superb. My Swaros are being sorted in Austria at the moment, and they are taking quite some time and lacking a little info update. Never been a previous Zeiss fan, but would definately look at Zeiss again in the future, on my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back