• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Non-Europeans what European bird would you like to see? (1 Viewer)

Vagrant-wise, I am still smarting from dipping on last spring's Garganey that showed up here in Wisconsin, so that would be high on the wishlist just for that reason. Or Common Crane, another euro rarity I have dipped on in the past.

As far as actual bird in Europe, it would have to be Wallcreeper. Maybe followed by Azure Tit, although I think that barely gets into Europe.

I don't think Hong Kong is a prime location to get European birds. It's a real pity that the Isles of Scilly can get vagrants from much further east but that the reverse doesn't happen as far as I know.

As for the birds I'd like to see during a vacation to Europe - having only done a little bit of birding in Greece and nowhere else in continental Europe, I would have so much to look forward to.

Ruff in complete breeding plumage would be interesting. I sometimes remarked to other birders back in the UK that I might want to make a trip to Scandinavia specifically for that.

Last edited:
Vagrant-wise, I am still smarting from dipping on last spring's Garganey that showed up here in Wisconsin, so that would be high on the wishlist just for that reason. Or Common Crane, another euro rarity I have dipped on in the past.

As far as actual bird in Europe, it would have to be Wallcreeper. Maybe followed by Azure Tit, although I think that barely gets into Europe.
Well in to Europe, I've seen it in Belarus.

Azure Tit gets a long way into Europe, but sadly not the currently accessible parts (widespread in European Russia, Belarus, Ukraine).

cheers,
James
Whether you want to is another question, but Belarus is still fully accessible - land border from Lithuania is open and there are no restrictions on entry, can go by car without issue. Indeed, Belarus has even introduced visa-free entry for some nationalities, eg British if flying in (but no direct flights from the EU) and Lithuanians by any entry means

Last edited:
Yeah Azure Tit is present in a large part of Europe, just not a very attractive one at the moment. They are actually also in Ukraine, so after Ukraine wins, they should be available again :)

Ruffs can be seen in a majestic manner in Poland during spring migration, because they display and fight during the migration. If you catch the correct time, it's really spectacular, you can paddle down the Biebrza river and large flocks of Ruff will do all sorts of fun stuff a few meters from you.

Yeah Azure Tit is present in a large part of Europe, just not a very attractive one at the moment. They are actually also in Ukraine, so after Ukraine wins, they should be available again :)

Ruffs can be seen in a majestic manner in Poland during spring migration, because they display and fight during the migration. If you catch the correct time, it's really spectacular, you can paddle down the Biebrza river and large flocks of Ruff will do all sorts of fun stuff a few meters from you.
I thought I was going to get some mentions of the bearded reedling, European golden oriole, roller, demoiselle crane etc… to me those are some of the most fantastic we have. Also no mentions of any of our sylvids… 😟

Last edited:
I've read so much about jackdaws, they sound really cool, I'd love to see them.

The only interesting vagrant I've heard about this year in these parts (northeast USA) is a Barnacle Goose in Newton, Massachusetts, so far I have not been able to catch up with him. Actually the Stellar's Sea Eagle did appear again near Portland, Maine last month, but he moved on before I could get up there. He's got his own website:

Nobody for Great Bustard, Lammergeier or European Bee-eater?
Already seen European Bee-eater as a wintering bird in South Africa. Also while European Bee-eater is cool, there are lots of other bee-eaters, some of which I think people might find cooler looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back