• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Non-Field Guide Book Recommendations (1 Viewer)

TicoTyler

Tyler Wenzel
Costa Rica
Thought it would be nice to get some recommendations for books about birds that aren't field guides. A few I've read that I recommend:

• A World on the Wing - great information about bird migrations
  • The Feathery Tribe - a biography of Robert Ridgway that also gives a good overview of how ornithology developed in the western hemisphere
  • Sibley's Birding Basics - helpful even for experienced birders at understanding topics like molt and for beginning birders covers a great number of helpful topics
  • The New Neotropical Companion - helpful overview of neotropical ecology in general with many points specific to birds, although I did catch a handful of factual errors.

On my to-read list:

Flight Paths: How a Passionate and Quirky Group of Pioneering Scientists Solved the Mystery of Bird Migration

Users who are viewing this thread

Back