• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Norfolk Bats (1 Viewer)

Bittern2010

Hi Everyone,

In the unseasonably mild weather we had last Thursday (23rd February 2012), I was amazed to see a Daubentons bat at Natural Surroundings near Glandford. I saw the bat fly low over the water on several occasions, occasionally skimming the surface. It approached very close several times particularly when I was standing on a low footbridge.

I presume the bat had been disturbed from it's roost or had been woken up by the mild weather. Apparently, Daubenton bats are resident at Natural Surroundings but as one would expect they are more usually seen on summer evenings.

Also a friend reported seeing a bat (probably a Pippistrelle) on the same day in their garden.

Has anyone else had any early bat sightings this year?

Regards

Steve

P.S. I know this is a Birdforum rather than a Bat Forum but they do fly at least.

Last edited:

sacha

About 3 Pippistrelles out hunting a few days ago over the garden near Reepham .. The mild weather seems to have made them all wake up!

JHDraytonbassettpits

Daubenton's Bat

Hi Everyone,

In the unseasonably mild weather we had last Thursday (23rd February 2012), I was amazed to see a Daubentons bat at Natural Surroundings near Glandford. I saw the bat fly low over the water on several occasions, occasionally skimming the surface. It approached very close several times particularly when I was standing on a low footbridge.

I presume the bat had been disturbed from it's roost or had been woken up by the mild weather. Apparently, Daubenton bats are resident at Natural Surroundings but as one would expect they are more usually seen on summer evenings.

Also a friend reported seeing a bat (probably a Pippistrelle) on the same day in their garden.

Has anyone else had any early bat sightings this year?

Regards

Steve

P.S. I know this is a Birdforum rather than a Bat Forum but they do fly at least.

Hi Steve,
On the very same day 23/2/12 in North Warkwickshire at RSPB Middleton lakes a Daubenton's Bat was hunting for 2 hours early afternoon before being taken by a Sparrow Hawk. Usuallly they fly half an hour after dark. I have reported the sighting to the National Bat group via their telephone line, then sent photo's taken, by e-mail and awaiting their reply. I would suggest the bats were brought out of hibernation with warm tempertaures and increased insect activity with 4 Butterfly and 5 Bumble Bees seen that day, with many other insects about I would say it was the first day of Spring in North Warwickshire.
Video of the Bat was taken and can be seen on RSPB Middleton lakes facebook under Photo's with 0:12 and 0:28 marking the video clips.

Regards, John

Last edited:

Bittern2010

Thanks for the replies Sacha and JHDraytonbassettpits.

Having Pippistrelles in the garden is a real treat. On warm summer evenings, I have seen some in my garden as well.

I saw the Daubentons bat in broad daylight as well. It was a fascinating creature to watch in good light conditions. It took a few seconds for my brain to kick in before I realised what I was watching. It's nice to know someone else had a similar experience.

I will report my sighting to the local bat group as well. I had trouble viewing the videos but I think that is due to my ageing laptop.

I know that Daubentons bats are fairly widespread in Norfolk. However, I would be interested to know if there are any local sites where they can be seen feeding in partially lit conditions (i.e. from the bridge of a village/town with street lamps).

Regards

Steve

HarassedDad

Norfolk County Butterfly Recorder
They used to be viewable from the bridge into trowse just off the county hall roundabout - but I haven't been there at dusk for five or six years now.

Happisbirder

Always looking, seldom finding...
This little fella (or lass?) was found recently dead in a property in East Norfolk last Tuesday Feb 28th.

James

Attachments

• Photo0066.jpg
    Photo0066.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 66

Bittern2010

Thanks for the info Harrassed Dad. Trowse is a close to me so I will check it out in the Summer.

Thanks for posting the photo FrootShoot. The bat looks like a Brown Long Eared Bat - the long ears give it away :eek:). Feel sorry for the poor blighter. Looks like it didn't make it through the winter.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread