• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (108 Viewers)

Shifty fades off Grey-

Who would’ve thought that, within one week, two huge blockers could’ve been eclipsed by a bloomin’ buntin’ ! And in County, too.

The poor finder must be more than emberized.

Hey ! Ho !

Ironic that bird was found within walking distance of birders who would have id it within a matter of seconds! Hey ho, would not of got there before dark! Have to settle for a needletail and a Bridled Tern instead;)

With more observers (photos, even), an FfB would’ve been in the bag.

This comment suggests that the bird was definitely a Grey-necked Bunting.

I appreciate that I am not in any sort of 'loop' so this may be common knowledge, but can anyone say what has happened to turn an unseasonal report of an Ortolan Bunting into a probable Grey-necked Bunting? Particularly if there aren't any photos to apply a retrospective ID from.

I appreciate that I am not in any sort of 'loop' so this may be common knowledge, but can anyone say what has happened to turn an unseasonal report of an Ortolan Bunting into a probable Grey-necked Bunting? Particularly if there aren't any photos to apply a retrospective ID from.

That's what I was wondering. Are July Ortolans unprecedented?

Phil

I thought this as soon as Grey-necked was spoken up. What's more likely; an unseasonal passage migrant (there have been late June records before, I don't know about July) or a bird never recorded in Britain?

Last edited:
Worth a look 'just in case':

http://birdingfrontiers.com/2013/06...rikes-twice-grey-necked-bunting-on-helgoland/

although would like to think that the last bit might turn into 'lightning-sometimes-strikes-twice-grey-necked-bunting-in-norfolk'........

Believe if bird was an Ortolan would be first July record for county hence interest (not that Ortolans aren't smart birds in their own right).

Mick

Friend from Germany was lucky enough to see the recent Helgoland bird.

The finder reported his find to Birdguides I had heard. I have just emailed them to ask why the report has changed from Ortolan to 'possible' Grey-necked Bunting' and they have replied by email to me.

Reply on my blog HERE;)

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
It strikes me that maybe there is a sort of Chinese whispers going on here.

Somebody presumably not that experienced thinks he/she saw an Ortolan.

Other people think 'Oo, funny time for an Ortolan and there was a Grey-necked Bunting in Germany a few weeks ago'.

Birdguides go along with this and check with the observer, then putting out news of it as a possible Grey-necked Bunting.

Somebody then promotes it from 'possible' to probable'.

Personally I would wait to find out what the original observer wrote/ recorded at the time (presumably there are no photographs). What colour was the throat? Did it have a grey breast band? Any detail of the mantle?

Steve

Other people think 'Oo, funny time for an Ortolan and there was a Grey-necked Bunting in Germany a few weeks ago'.

Birdguides go along with this and check with the observer, then putting out news of it as a possible Grey-necked Bunting.

Personally I would wait to find out what the original observer wrote/ recorded at the time (presumably there are no photographs). What colour was the throat? Did it have a grey breast band? Any detail of the mantle?

Steve

See Josh Jones's fuller account of his conversation with the finder on the Rarities thread

Steve

Well said, Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back