• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (10 Viewers)

Nothing on RBA though mmm...

Saw a singing skylark early morning on the way to work and stopped for 5 minutes listening while the bird gaining altitude :)

On the way back from work saw 2x yellowhammer and 1 singing hidden in the bushes ... never thought they were so close to where I live!

It’s coming this way !

At the rate it’s southered, so far, it’ll be here in about a week.

And an “unconfirmed report of possible adult Great Black-headed Gull”, yesterday evening from Titchwell- for those who ‘need’ it for Norfolk. (The last record from Britain and Ireland seems to be 1859.)

Nothing on RBA though mmm...

Saw a singing skylark early morning on the way to work and stopped for 5 minutes listening while the bird gaining altitude :)

On the way back from work saw 2x yellowhammer and 1 singing hidden in the bushes ... never thought they were so close to where I live!

Put out on RBA at 5.03pm

Lovely evening at Titchwell. 16 spotshank, spoonbill, 5 little gull, big flock of knot, 330 blackwit, 3 ruff

Paul

and so peaceful as well! Wouldn't have guessed a potential first for Britain since 1859 had been reported yesterday. Had good fun looking for it though :)

Oliver. Not a good week for Norfolk's Mega's being seen by more than one person! Understand you are witholding secret information on the locality of a Ruddy Duck:eat:

With two possible Norfolk 'firsts' slipping through the net this week already, surely the next good bet for the more enterprising among us will be in the terneries on Scolt Head (where we won't hear about it anyway!) or Blakeney Point - interestingly the 1966 B Point Head Sooty Tern reappeared on Inner Farne two days later. Be a hot trudge though!

David

Oliver. Not a good week for Norfolk's Mega's being seen by more than one person! Understand you are witholding secret information on the locality of a Ruddy Duck:eat:

Now that is a mega! Saw the Ruddy and will probably be the last one I ever see before it joins the ranks of Lady A's

5 + green sands at Cantley yesterday, 2 fresh BHG chicks made a swim for it causing aprox 20 adults to mob us as they paddled merrily.

On a side note - not great seeing chinese lanterns over Costessey this evening- heading straight for Ringland woods.

With two possible Norfolk 'firsts' slipping through the net this week already, surely the next good bet for the more enterprising among us will be in the terneries on Scolt Head (where we won't hear about it anyway!) or Blakeney Point - interestingly the 1966 B Point Head Sooty Tern reappeared on Inner Farne two days later. Be a hot trudge though!

David

A good week with two made up mega's!

for you serious photographers or should I buy a sigma 150-500 f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM
BRAND NEW FOR £600.00
but read that my canon 1000d body will be to light and out of balance

Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM Lens
been offered this lens for £650.00
should I snatch their hand off

for you serious photographers or should I buy a sigma 150-500 f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM
BRAND NEW FOR £600.00
but read that my canon 1000d body will be to light and out of balance

Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM Lens
been offered this lens for £650.00
should I snatch their hand off

Sigma is big and heavy but fairly good up to 400mm, after that I have found quality varies but is generally softer than I would like.
70-300mm is a great lens to have but you may find it a bit short for wildlife? Depends what you want to do though really.
I'd personally go for a Canon 400mm F5.6. These can be picked up 2nd hand for £700-£750 in good condition and would offer you the reach of the sigma and quality of the canon for not much more money.

Hope that helps.

Sigma is big and heavy but fairly good up to 400mm, after that I have found quality varies but is generally softer than I would like.
70-300mm is a great lens to have but you may find it a bit short for wildlife? Depends what you want to do though really.
I'd personally go for a Canon 400mm F5.6. These can be picked up 2nd hand for £700-£750 in good condition and would offer you the reach of the sigma and quality of the canon for not much more money.

Hope that helps.

it does thank you

Titchwell July 8th

Today’s highlights

Spotted redshank – 12 on fresh marsh
Little gull – 5 on fresh marsh
Avocet – 221 on fresh marsh
Green sand – 2 on fresh marsh
Dunlin – 11 on fresh marsh inc 1 juv
Ruff – 4 on fresh marsh
Wigeon – 7 on fresh marsh
Knot – 1000 on fresh marsh