• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (2 Viewers)

nearly funny that
its meant as info for other people like penny for example who lives kings lynn so may not be to far to travel it takes us 90mins from where we live

August Twite seems exceptionally early for Norfolk (2 reported y-day) anyone get any images?

I saw one Twite yesterday at about 1430, flying over Gramborough, calling, heading east. Perfect viewing conditions, but everyone else was looking at the Pied Flycatcher and the Wryneck at ground level. Some Yellow Wagtail passage at about 1415, again heading east, but over the road to Salthouse beach car park, about half-way along. Firstreesjohn heard them first!
MJB

I only saw one wryneck at Salthouse yesterday as well.

Well today went to Burnham Overy Dunes and saw this warbler, was told a booted warbler but this little chap is too far off to be identified. Have taken few images whilst this chap was just visible for couple of minutes before it disappear into the tree again.

Here is some images for your identification.

R

Attachments

• _38A7652.jpg
    _38A7652.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 276
  • _38A7650.jpg
    _38A7650.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 275
  • _38A7643.jpg
    _38A7643.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 237
I only saw one wryneck at Salthouse yesterday as well.

Well today went to Burnham Overy Dunes and saw this warbler, was told a booted warbler but this little chap is too far off to be identified. Have taken few images whilst this chap was just visible for couple of minutes before it disappear into the tree again.

Here is some images for your identification.

R

I would have said garden warbler...

Paul

Titchwell August 26th

Today’s highlights

Wryneck – 1 still at Thornham Point early afternoon but very elusive
Pied flycatcher – 2 at Thornham Point
Redstart – 4 at Thornham Point
Wheatear – 5 at Thornham Point
Curlew sandpiper – 40 on fresh marsh this afternoon. Highest count since 2005
Spotted redshank – 17 on fresh marsh
Greenshank – 8 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 3 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 10 on fresh marsh
Osprey – 1 west mid morning
Black tern – juv on fresh marsh late morning

Paul

Balearic shearwaters and bank holiday fall of migrants

Remarkable numbers of pied flycatcher, redstarts and whinchats in recent days never mind wrynecks and a few greenish warblers.

What was most unusual was the number of Balearic shearwater records.
Cannot think of a better opportunity, in other years, to find a Balearic at Cley (rather than off the tip of Cornwall).

I wonder if there has been a post breeding dispersal of Balearic shearwaters into the southern North Sea, with birds being seen close inshore at the same time as a fall event.

Are (or have) these Balearics been feeding off the coast: having being seen to fly both west and east past Cley Coastguards?

nearly funny that
its meant as info for other people like penny for example who lives kings lynn so may not be to far to travel it takes us 90mins from where we live

Thats a good idea, we can have all the Lowestoft news on the Norfolk thread as well for those who live in Yarmouth. Would have thought Penny quite capable of checking Linconshire news if she was inclined to visit. Keep this thread to Norfolk as intended.

John

Has anyone had any Black Redstart over this fall? I had a female type on the track to Kelling WM this evening and it obviously very early.

Also on the track, a single Pied Flycatcher and Common Redstart, plus Knot on the pool; another good bird.

Kieran

pass, I only saw one

Did anyone see the dauke's hide Icky after 7.45am ?

I saw what was almost certainly the bird fly from the willows strongly to the south east at about 11.00 (large yellowish warbler anyway) after it was called in the bush itself. Apparently the bird also showed at around 10.15 ish but all I saw was a reed warbler.

I did not see the bird apart from that.... as such my quest for an Icky remains! I have tomorrow off so anyone, anywhere please report any Icky sightings... getting kind of desperate now lol

Clear sky tonight, so not sure what the chances of the gun hill bird/s staying is.

PS the term 'the biggy comes after the fall'.... is there any truth in it and secondly why?

Went to Winterton North Dunes today (mainly to look for Southern Emerald Damselflies) but managed about 8 Redstarts, 3 Pied Flycatchers, 4 Spotted Flycathers and at least 10 Whinchats. Unfortunately, there was no sign of the 2 Wrynecks seen earlier in the hour or so I looked for them. Photos were hard to get, the pick of them is attached!

Attachments

• DSCF4174.JPG
    DSCF4174.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 156
Has anyone had any Black Redstart over this fall? I had a female type on the track to Kelling WM this evening and it obviously very early.

Also on the track, a single Pied Flycatcher and Common Redstart, plus Knot on the pool; another good bird.

Kieran

Get my text just now mate?

Barred Warbler reported at Kelling but no more details given. Anyone know any more on this? :) Thanks!

Yesterday, I spoke to a bloke who said he'd flushed TWO wryneck at Gram. I went there multiple times daily on both Saturday and Sunday, only ever seeing ONE bird at any time.

Walked Burnham Overy Dunes and Gun Hill twice today. My second Booted Warbler of the weekend, tons of migrants at Gun Hill and my best picture of an Icterine at the end of the board walk this evening. Also found a Wryneck later this evening (presumably the same one I saw earlier).

Massive thanks to 'Robinsslee' who very patiently sorted my camera out early this morning when it decided to play up:t::t::t:

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back