• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (6 Viewers)

A few pictures from Sunday 25th August:

REDSTARTS and GREENISH WARBLER at Burnham Overy Dunes.

More pictures on my blog.

Penny:girl:

Attachments

• IMG_4461 Redstart crop.jpg
    IMG_4461 Redstart crop.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4652 Redstart crop.jpg
    IMG_4652 Redstart crop.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4507 crop.jpg
    IMG_4507 crop.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4557 crop.jpg
    IMG_4557 crop.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4612 crop.jpg
    IMG_4612 crop.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
A few pictures from Monday 26th August:

Spotted Flycatcher, Redstart, ICTERINE WARBLER at Burnham Overy Dunes.

More pictures on my blog.

Attachments

• IMG_4810 Spot Fly crop.jpg
    IMG_4810 Spot Fly crop.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4827 Spot Fly crop.jpg
    IMG_4827 Spot Fly crop.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4743 Redstart crop.jpg
    IMG_4743 Redstart crop.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4887 crop.jpg
    IMG_4887 crop.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4931 ICTERINE crop.jpg
    IMG_4931 ICTERINE crop.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Noon

It was reported as still present between the pump house and jetty along the riverbank at 9.30 this morning but haven't seen any further reports today.

Keith

Still there at noon, exactly where you said yesterday, opposite the Rockland Broad entrance.
Thanks for the heads up and I wish you luck for later.

Attachments

• Wryneck.jpg
    Wryneck.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 107
What a fantastic weekend its been for birding and looking at the pager today it looks like its continuing unabated. Its the kind of birding you would usually associate with mid-September so lets hope it continues on into that month and beyond, and becomes one of the most productive autumns in many years.

My three day birding session started rather frustratingly with a snipe-sized rail/crake thing flushed and only seen peripherally as it disappeared into thick brambles in the scrubby area west of Cromer. I decided it was most likely a migrant Water Rail but only by going through the most vague process of elimination. I Wanted to put that behind me quick and this was helped by the presence of eight Whinchats also at the site. A quick passing visit to Sheringham cemetery got me my first Pied Flycatcher of the bank hol. A couple of hours at Muckleburgh Hill was unfortunately rather fruitless but a Hobby showed well over Weybourne Camp as it rather desperately chased Swallows, many of which kept in close mocking attendance to this bird.

I Missed a Wryneck by minutes at Walsey Hills, well found by a couple of lucky lads. Unfortunatley it never showed again. I also dipped out on the Icterine in the afternoon but there were some nice birds on the marsh to console.

In the afternoon, I spent the last couple of hours walking out to Halfway House along the point where a fantastic large fall produced Whinchats, Redstarts, Pied and Spotted Flycatchers every couple of hundred metres along with nine Grey Partridge and four Yellow Wagtails. Also four Bonxies flew east.
I Met Rob Wilson and his wife coming back from the point at Halfway House and enjoyed their company for the return journey and new birds were turning up all the while. The highlight coming back was a Sparrowhawk which caught a Redstart in front of us. I had been counting them along the way and this bird really was unlucky as it was number 13!! The Sparrowhawk must have been very hungry as it consumed its catch right in front of us and we were able to get within just a few feet of it. When it had finished we were able to obtain the tail feathers of the unfortunate Redstart.

The next day it was the Wells area and after a quiet start we found a good pocket of birds which included many common warblers, a few Pied Flycatchers and one Redstart but nothing more unusual could be located. In the afternoon, Titchwell was good for waders, Spoonbills and a Turtle Dove and a walk out to Thornham Point turned up more Pied Flycatchers and Redstarts. Unfortunately, the Wryneck was elusive and never showed.

Decided to spend the whole day at Burnham Overy yesterday and the relaxed nature of my walk out there meant it took me over two hours to reach Gunn Hill. To start with, there was a fracas between a calling Tawny Owl and a couple of Jays which could be heard in trees in the village which held my attention for a while and there was lots to look at on the way including Garden Warbler, Whinchat, Common Buzzard, three Spoonbills, and ten Grey Partridges.

Despite the presence of lots of birds when I got to Gunn Hill I was beginning to succumb to tiredness from the two days previous and I was becoming very hot and bothered. An hours sea-watching produced nothing which certainly did not help the cause but shortly after, that magical purple moment occurred when a Pied Flycatcher hopped up on top of a bramble patch which subsequently got me onto a self-found or re-found Icterine Warber - just the moment I was waiting and hoping for. It showed well and myself and everyone in the immediate area got great views of it. All pumped up again the rest of the day became a doddle and what with lots of Wheaters, Whinchats, Redstarts, Lesser Whitethroats and a couple more Garden Warblers it was a great end to some very enjoyable bank holiday birding - and I never did see a Wryneck!

The long walk back at dusk gave me plenty of time to relax and reflect on how emotional birding can be and my emotion at this time was one of peace and relaxation helped by the continual passage of dozens of Little Egrets heading over towards the Holkham roost as daylight waned and the night crept in and then it was off home to catch up on some welcome sleep.

Steve.

Last edited:
Today's Rosy Starling at Horsey, appeared fresh-in being constantly mobbed in flight by hirundines! First time I've seen one not with Starlings. Also a wryneck finally gave itself up a bit for a photo.

Attachments

• Rose-coloured Starling (28.08 (Medium).jpg
    Rose-coloured Starling (28.08 (Medium).jpg
    174 KB · Views: 166
  • Wryneck (28.08.13) (Medium).jpg
    Wryneck (28.08.13) (Medium).jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 128
Awesome day

Went out today not expecting too much but the tail of the fall certainly wagged !

Almost accidentally drove past cley spy so though it would be rude not to look for the red-backed shrike, it obliged fairly quickly in the hedge behind the shop.
Gramborough hill provided the only small disappointment of the day with no sign of the wryneck (seen before and after our visit) we did see 3 Whinchats and 3 painted ladies though
Cley produced 3 Curlew Sandpipers on pat's pool
I was glad to see the female monties had managed to fledge a youngster but unfortunately we only saw one, I believe there were two ?
Our final destination was Burnham overy marsh & dunes. On reaching the sea wall a wagtail flew east over the sea wall and called once, CITRINE WAGTAIL, awesome I'd met Marcus earlier who'd had the kelling bird so to find our own was truly magic. It landed on the back edge of the large pool and showed reasonably well in the telescope. Luckily some 20 minutes later when the first birders arrived, it flew back west over the wall and called 4-5 times for all to hear. It landed briefly but then carried on west out over the salt marsh.
The dunes held 2 Yellow wagtails, c30 Wheatears, c10 Redstart, 5+ Whinchat, quite a few Willow warblers and saving the best until last a ridiculously showy ICTERINE WARBLER just east of gun hill. The bird was just prancing around on the top of the bushes on show all the time, I don't ever remember seeing one so well

A truly excellent day

Last edited:
Yep it is still there when I left at about 8pm, I think it roosted in the small tree where I was standing the bird is about 10 feet from me lol :D

Still there at noon, exactly where you said yesterday, opposite the Rockland Broad entrance.
Thanks for the heads up and I wish you luck for later.

Hi guys. I don't know the Burham Overy area very well, so where is the best place to park and how do I find the Icterine Warbler if it is still there tomorrow?

Hi guys. I don't know the Burham Overy area very well, so where is the best place to park and how do I find the Icterine Warbler if it is still there tomorrow?

park here

head out to sea wall, when you come to dunes turn left and view bushes about here
basically the largest clump of bushes before the tall sand dune

A tough day for me at Burnham Overy. Arrived at 11.30 and saw a group of 11 Common Buzzards towards Holkham, but sadly no Rough-legs. As I headed down the track an unstreaked Acro appeared but didn't show particularly well, though I'm satisfied it was just a Reed. At the boardwalk I headed east to look for the Icterine Warbler reported in the morning. Despite about 3 hours in the area I only had 12+ Redstarts, a handful of Whinchat plus good numbers of Wheatear, several Willow Warblers and a couple of Chiffchaffs. I chose not to rush after the Citrine Wagtail in the hope of relocating the Icky (a major bogey bird for me in Norfolk!), so didn't see that.
At 4.30 I was back at the car and about to drive home when the pager told me I had walked the wrong way at the boardwalk, so I headed back along the path to Gun Hill. A frustrating half an hour passed before I eventually got the Icterine Warbler!!! A couple more Redstarts included one male, another Whinchat and a few Yellow Wagtails completed a good day.

Wryneck @ Strumpshaw

I returned to Strumpshaw this evening, hoping the Wryneck would still be presnet and I was not to be disappointed :t:

Attachments

• Wryneck Strumpshaw 130828_1.jpg
    Wryneck Strumpshaw 130828_1.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Wryneck Strumpshaw 130828_2.jpg
    Wryneck Strumpshaw 130828_2.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Wryneck Strumpshaw 130828_3.jpg
    Wryneck Strumpshaw 130828_3.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Wryneck Strumpshaw 130828_4.jpg
    Wryneck Strumpshaw 130828_4.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Wryneck Strumpshaw 130828_5.jpg
    Wryneck Strumpshaw 130828_5.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 106
At 1115, a large group of Buteo spp was thermalling above the northern edge of Holt at considerable height - I got on to the first bird while watching multiple airline contrails - a maximum number in the bins at any one time of 11 birds, but there were others (4?) that had set off steadily southwest.

Just had 15 buteos (sure number is just a coincidence!) over Thorpe marshes this morning ... biggest group I've seen in the UK. Presume they had been grounded nearby overnight as when I first saw them only 10 were in the air but soon joined by the other 5. Birds were close and low enough to grill them all but sadly (?) all were pretty standard Common Buzzard - in fact remarkably little variation.

Birds quickly "kettled" and gained height quite rapidly before drifting slowly East towards Haddiscoe island/Breydon. Still a great sight particularly having grown up in East Anglia when seeing any large raptor was a bonus!

Chris A.

Just had 15 buteos (sure number is just a coincidence!) over Thorpe marshes this morning ... biggest group I've seen in the UK. Presume they had been grounded nearby overnight as when I first saw them only 10 were in the air but soon joined by the other 5. Birds were close and low enough to grill them all but sadly (?) all were pretty standard Common Buzzard - in fact remarkably little variation.

Birds quickly "kettled" and gained height quite rapidly before drifting slowly East towards Haddiscoe island/Breydon. Still a great sight particularly having grown up in East Anglia when seeing any large raptor was a bonus!
Chris A.

Chris,
There seem to be quite a number of groups of Buteos. This morning, a tyro birding friend of mine mentioned that from his garden in Melton Constable last Sunday, he had 11 in a thermal, climbing rapidly, and then 8 went off south at considerable height. Three descended, presumably summer breeders or offspring, to disappear behind a local wood.
MJB

Didn't manage to get much birding done over the last few days, for a variety of reasons, but did manage to see some lovely migrants.
Highlight has to be the Salthouse Wryneck which was a joy to photograph.
The Icterine Warbler found by Sean McCann at Cley was also rather good.
A few photos here

Titchwell August 29th

Today’s highlights

Fantastic for waders at the moment

Curlew sandpiper – 59 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 5 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 11 on fresh marsh
Dunlin – 250+ on fresh marsh
Whinchat – 1 on beach
Wheatear – 8 on beach
Turtle dove – 1 over fresh marsh

Paul

......Our final destination was Burnham overy marsh & dunes. On reaching the sea wall a wagtail flew east over the sea wall and called once, CITRINE WAGTAIL, awesome I'd met Marcus earlier who'd had the kelling bird so to find our own was truly magic. It landed on the back edge of the large pool and showed reasonably well in the telescope. Luckily some 20 minutes later when the first birders arrived, it flew back west over the wall and called 4-5 times for all to hear. It landed briefly but then carried on west out over the salt marsh......

Congratulations Stuart:t::t::t: Is that the pool across the other side of the dunes and slightly east of the end of the board walk? There were several pied wagtails here when I looked.

Congratulations Stuart:t::t::t: Is that the pool across the other side of the dunes and slightly east of the end of the board walk? There were several pied wagtails here when I looked.

Cheers Penny

No it flew over the sea wall, where you climb up if coming from the coast road lay-by, and landed on the large reed lined pool. Quite a way south of the dunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back