• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (1 Viewer)

Patience needed today.

Red-breasted flycatcher seen first thing at Warham Green Garden Drove, not seen again until 11am.

Just before that time I walked back up the track to join two birders.
Three others watching further up and only 100m from the concrete pad. R B Fly had been re-located.
Took a record shot before bird moved down track. Showed from sunny hedgerow out of the wind by the coast path as others arrived.

The early morning Cley and Salthouse cattle egret had moved on but was re-found at Burnham Overy.
Viewable from A149 where path goes north to seawall. (Small parking area at junction.) Not seen between 1 and 3pm by which time only two of us were left. The other birder scanned the cattle and found the elusive cattle egret taking digi-shots and leaving

The bird showed distantly at the right-hand end of the cattle and moved left.
Lost to view after walking around the corner of the fence. This before anyone else had arrived.

Re-located at far end of fence to where last seen. All observers able to connect with a very distant bird.

Attachments

• Warham red breasted flycatcher refound at 11am 100m down track.jpg
    Warham red breasted flycatcher refound at 11am 100m down track.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
East Hills

Two Redstarts, 100+ Song Thrushes, goldcrests, willow warblers, chiffchaffs, robins etc and a very interesting bird!

Back at Garden Drove I saw and photographed the lovely Red-breasted Flycatcher before going onto Cley.

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Titchwell October 1st

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler - 2 on reserve
Great white egret - 1 west over the reserve @ 11:45 and seen again on saltmarsh at 12:20 but no further sign
Brambling - 2 on feeders, several in/off sea
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Ring Ouzel at Burnham Overy Dunes this morning, good views of the Red-breasted Flycatcher at Warham again and 3 Brambling early evening at Warham.

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Pictures taken on Monday 30th Sep.

Attachments

• IMG_5934 crop.jpg
    IMG_5934 crop.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_5906 crop.jpg
    IMG_5906 crop.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5913 crop.jpg
    IMG_5913 crop.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Titchwell October 2nd

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler - 2 in Meadow trail/Fen trail/carpark area
Jack snipe - 1 flushed from Patsy's reedbed
Curlew sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh
Whinchat - 2 along fenceline on grazing meadow

Paul

A very unexpected reserve tick today in the form of 2 Sandwich Terns flying over reception broad calling.
I'm not sure the 15 insurance brokers that were volunteering for the day with me were quite so surprised or as enthusiastic as I was, but I probably amused them by looking exactly as they expected a warden to be as I ran for my bins!

Conditions Late Evening.

Hey sweets,

Just looking at the forecast for this evening and thought it could swing us a few more common migrants. I know it's not 'classic', but still a slight improvement on the last few day.

These charts are from 9pm this evening.

Rain031013.gifWind031013.gif

Was thinking the same Kieran. It is unusual that one want want a shift or turn in the weather after we have been blessed with a period of easterlies, but a change in the weather this evening would surely be more productive. A bit of rain and a slight swing from easterlies to southerlies tonight and I think tomorrow could be interesting. Beautiful and calm weekend in store with light westerlies, so it will be a pleasure to be out mopping up what tomorrow brings.
Cheers,
Jim.

Titchwell October 3rd

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler - 1 in Meadow Trail area but very mobile and elusive
Curlew sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 2 on Volunteer Marsh
Whinchat - 2 on grazing meadow

Paul

Just a bit of information please

I can't remember if it was last October or the previous January when I was up in Norfolk but on one of those occasions I bumped into someone who had seen the Aurorea Borealis from the North Norfolk coast and I also remember seeing pictures on here I think.
My question is, how regular are they seen and does anyone have any idea when it is likely they may be seen in the next month or two??
Excuse my ignorance on this subject,I obviously know that weather plays a massive part but don't know too much else about it....also apologies for the non bird related query... Many thanks

Osprey (Taverham)

Any one know the exact whereabouts of where the Osprey was located in Taverham yesterday? I'm assuming it was near the fishing lakes towards Ringlands? May give it a little look on my way out of Norwich later this morning. See if it's still there.

Any one know the exact whereabouts of where the Osprey was located in Taverham yesterday? I'm assuming it was near the fishing lakes towards Ringlands? May give it a little look on my way out of Norwich later this morning. See if it's still there.

Taverham Mills Lake - Mike has given details and a grid reference here: http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2839280&postcount=194

I can't remember if it was last October or the previous January when I was up in Norfolk but on one of those occasions I bumped into someone who had seen the Aurorea Borealis from the North Norfolk coast and I also remember seeing pictures on here I think.
My question is, how regular are they seen and does anyone have any idea when it is likely they may be seen in the next month or two??
Excuse my ignorance on this subject,I obviously know that weather plays a massive part but don't know too much else about it....also apologies for the non bird related query... Many thanks

I don't think it happens this far south very often. It can be difficult to predict far in advance - I have signed up to Facebook alerts that let you know when there is a high likelihood of it being visible, check out http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/alerts. I remember the photos being posted on here, but if I remember rightly they were time-lapse, so I don't know how strong it was with the naked eye.

Have seen this from Burnham Overy Staithe about five years ago - just a slight coloured haze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back