• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (2 Viewers)

Are there any photos of these Parrots? Anyone manage a sound recording? Would be interested to see and hear.

Thanks

Also, anyone know if the Dutch paper is online anywhere which stressed that Common Crossbills in their eastern range are indistinguishable from Parrots?
Be interesting to read at this current time.

Kieran

Brancaster 1145-1330
Bearded Tits, Greenshank, plus a large unidentified pipit. Didn't have my scope, in the middle of the marsh perched on posts and frequently taking off to land on the saltmarsh(hovering before landing), for a few minutes before returning. Long tail.
More than likely a Richards but will go unidentified.

Did my fair share of hours at the Parrots today, Sacha you must of got pretty lucky because after 5 hours all I managed was a possible distant call that sounded too 'chimey' if that's even the right word for common xbill. But never mind did see a flock of 25+ fly over chipping away but nothing glaringly obvious!

Hi Kieran
this might be interesting perhaps? although not a Dutch paper.

www.britishbirds.co.uk/search?model=pdf&id=6311

page 15 makes reference to features.

Ian

The head on illustrations of Hawfinch and Parrot Crossbill on page 16 look like they came from the same portfolio as the guy who drew Joseph Merrick for the British Medical Journal.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Joseph_Merrick_1886_4.jpg

Thanks for the links guys, will go over them tonight.

Kieran

East Hills

The poorest walk I have had out here!:-C But had fabulous views of a Peregrine chasing and catching a Meadow Pipit on the way out!

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Did my fair share of hours at the Parrots today, Sacha you must of got pretty lucky because after 5 hours all I managed was a possible distant call that sounded too 'chimey' if that's even the right word for common xbill. But never mind did see a flock of 25+ fly over chipping away but nothing glaringly obvious!

Sounds like I was lucky. I spent 20 minutes on Thu searching for the flock which was at first mobile but seemed to return to the same area. When I found the silent flock feeding (by listening for the falling cones) it did not take long to see the male and female Parrot. They really stood out when seen next to the 'slender' Commons. The heads were heavy looking, the chunky beaks looked massive and they even bullied their smaller cousins away from cones!
If you see a possible in the group it's unlikely you have one.. When you see the Parrots, you know !
Of course this would be far trickier on a lone bird or birds. Call can help but even that varies .... These birds were not just large billed Eastern Commons.. They were large headed, big billed chunky Parrots
They were on a real feeding mission .. So they may have moved on but there are going to be more seen in next few weeks (I hope)
Very educational
Sacha

Thanks Sacha, good post.

Certainly encouraging me to check out a few coniferous woods over the next few weeks. Horsford Woods might well produce. Anyone who's 'toughing it' on the coast at the moment could do a lot worse than doing the same. A couple of hours in a suitable area will vary your day and give you at least half a chance of a genuine Norfolk rare!

Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back