• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (17 Viewers)

On the scrape north of the duckpond - viewable from the A149 'layby' but too distant to photograph properly.

Thanks for the info, was hoping to get some shots... I did have a look on your website to see if you had photographed it yet, thought that the lack of photos of it might mean it wasn't at a good range. Odds on some one will get lucky and get it on duck pond.

Thanks for the info, was hoping to get some shots... I did have a look on your website to see if you had photographed it yet, thought that the lack of photos of it might mean it wasn't at a good range. Odds on some one will get lucky and get it on duck pond.

If it's all the same one, it seems to have moved again - this afternoon on Pope's Marsh east of Cley East Bank: even more distant!

Titchwell October 28th

Today's highlights

Great northern diver - 1 offshore
Black throated diver - 1 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 2 offshore
Long tailed duck - 2 offshore
Spotted redshank - 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

Penny, I've really enjoyed reading your blog over the last couple of weeks. Very informative, news-filled, interesting and fun to read. Thanks very much for taking the time to update it daily. It must take up ages of your time and it shows great dedication to birding that you do. Thanks very much also for your touching tribute to Derek Moore OBE who I met at a local bird-club meeting about a year ago. Lovely chap and I can see why he will be dearly missed.

Went birding along the cliff-top between Mundesley and Paston this morning in the hope of Lapland Buntings. Unfortunately, none were encountered today but I did bump into a friendly local birder (so sorry - I can't remember your name) who showed me a nice bright Yellow-browed Warbler which he had just found in the cliff-top bushes. Along with lots of Skylarks and Linnets there was also a male Stonechat and several newly-arrived Blackbirds and Song Thrushes. Flocks of Starlings flew in off the sea regularly with smaller numbers of Chaffinches and also four Reed Buntings. On the butterfly front, I was very pleased to see a Clouded Yellow fly past which landed in a garden so that I could obtain scope views. My latest Clouded Yellow in Norfolk to date.

A single Wheatear was along Happisburgh cliffs and a brief seawatch during the last half hour before dusk produced a surprise Manx Shearwater heading north west.

Steve.

Penny, I've really enjoyed reading your blog over the last couple of weeks. Very informative, news-filled, interesting and fun to read. Thanks very much for taking the time to update it daily. It must take up ages of your time and it shows great dedication to birding that you do. Thanks very much also for your touching tribute to Derek Moore OBE who I met at a local bird-club meeting about a year ago. Lovely chap and I can see why he will be dearly missed........
Hi Steve!

It's really, really nice of you to say that, much appreciated, especially since I have just had a couple of really bad days at work (can't write work stuff on my blog as colleagues read it – fortunately they don't read BF so can get away with saying just about anything on here!), cheered me up! Yes, the blog does take up an enormous amount of time and I often go to bed far too late typing stuff up and birding suffers because of it at times! Birdforum is the reason I started the blog in the first place (long story). Derek Moore was indeed a wonderful man and has sadly departed from us all far too soon.

Thanks again.

Penny:girl:

phalarope(s)?

If it's all the same one, it seems to have moved again - this afternoon on Pope's Marsh east of Cley East Bank: even more distant!
Yesterday as I was on my way to Cley, I watched the Grey Phalarope behind the Salthouse duck pond. Walked up East Bank, when a birder told me he had just seen a grey phal fly in off the sea and land on Pope's marsh, so I walked back to see this one also. On my way back home, saw the Salthouse bird again, so two birds involved

Titchwell October 29th

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler - 1 calling on the Meadow Trail @ 11am only
Black throated diver - 1 offshore this morning
Snow bunting - 1 on beach 200yds west of the end of the main path
Spotted redshank - 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

Brilliant walk from Berney Arms to Great Yarmouth today started very frustratingly with a large hovering bird of prey disappearing westwards. Large flocks of Golden Plover moved over, a Cetti's Warbler actually showed for a couple of seconds (the first I've actually seen this year) and a Kestrel and a Sparrowhawk were the early representatives of the birds of prey.

Moving east, a lightish Buzzard sat on a gate finally proved itself a Common when it flew, and a Peregrine and a couple of Marsh Harriers made appearances.

Further on, a juvenile Rough-legged Buzzard suddenly materialised hovering over the last-remaining pocket of saltmarsh. A classic individual, the bird showed it's characteristic white-rump and dark carpal patches before doubling back behind us out of view.

On a high having seen our target, we walked on. As I was admiring good numbers of Pintail moving west with the Wigeon flocks, a Short-eared Owl exploded from the long-grass on the seawall and gave excellent views as it headed out over Breydon Water.

Good numbers of waders and wildfowl, along with 15 Little Egret, accompanied us on the final leg of our journey.

Will

Titchwell October 31st

Today's highlights

Shorelark - 1 on beach this afternoon
Yellow browed warbler - 1 calling on Meadow Trail this morning
Hen harrier - ringtail at dusk
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Long tailed duck - female offshore
Curlew sand - 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 3 on fresh marsh
Lapland bunting - 2 in/off sea this morning

Paul

I had brief views of what I thought might be rough-legged buzzard about a mile from Welney WWT as the crow flies this afternoon (on the road to ten mile bank) - just stuck up an ID thread and it seems others agree so worth keeping any eye out if in the area tomorrow - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3103877 just wish I had trusted my gut and put it out at the time...

Murmer of about 3,000 starlings left the reedbed at Cley and headed inland in the direction of Holt. Would be useful to me, if anyone reports similar numbers from there please, thank you.

Pat

Breydon delivers...

A great walk by Breydon Water this afternoon - started with two short-eared owls together, quite a number of curlew flying over from the water which I later found in a field of 150+, and the rough-legged buzzard (my first) hovering in the distance later obliged with a fly-past. And a stupid question - are the birds on the wire redpolls?

Attachments

• Bird06550_20141101_sm.jpg
    Bird06550_20141101_sm.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 208
  • Bird06532_20141101_sm.jpg
    Bird06532_20141101_sm.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 212
  • Bird06534_20141101_sm.jpg
    Bird06534_20141101_sm.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 185
  • Bird06564_20141101_sm.jpg
    Bird06564_20141101_sm.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 380
And a stupid question - are the birds on the wire redpolls?[/QUOTE]

Nice photos Clive, and it`s not a stupid question The birds on the wire are Twite.:t:

Chris B :)

What a twite

Thanks for the very quick replies, I'm feeling a bit silly now as I did check in Collins and thought they might be twite but somehow thought redpoll more likely in that location. So two firsts for me today - and yes, I'm quite a novice.

Agree with that, some superb shots. Not time to go through them all but will later. Quite a few got me rather envious.

John
www.kellingnature.zenfolio.com

ps the report yesterday of 50 Twite at Kelling hard probably refers to the flock of 50 Linnet in the area. However yesterday there were up to 13 Twite, sometimes mixed in with the Linnet, sometimes by themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back