• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (2 Viewers)

Interesting (worrying) to note that no mention is made of the site being a notorious dogging site - and what to do about it. A female friend undertaking survey work there last year felt very unsafe after being propositioned several times.

Thanks for the tip off. I'm just popping out to get some milk.

Titchwell October 31st

Today's highlights

White fronted goose - 4 on fresh marsh this afternoon
Spotted redshank - 3 on tidal pool
Greenshank - 5 on fresh marsh
Woodcock - 1 in Meadow Trail + 1 on fresh marsh
Wheatear - 1 at Thornham Point
Yellow legged gull - 1 on fresh marsh

We will be clearing vegetation on the fresh marsh islands on Wednesday and Thursday of this week that will cause a significant amount of disturbance to the lagoons

Paul

Last edited:
Thank goodness this cracking bird was seen and photographed today. I have been getting some stick from some well-known birders because I initially mis-identified it as a Black-eared. Stupid mistake, I admit, which I rectified as soon as I realised, but I hardly think that justified me being called a "half-termer" or any other derogatory terms. We all make mistakes, I'm glad it's all sorted. End of rant lol. Regards, Graham

People are morons, especially those who dish out this kind of rubbish. They are usually the ones that would take most offence at being labelled with such derogatory terms.

Your find gave a lot of people a lot of joy. Kudos to you.

Titchwell November 1st

Today's highlights

Jack snipe - 1 showing well in front of Parrinder Hide this afternoon
White fronted goose - 4 on fresh marsh
Yellow legged gull - adult on fresh marsh this morning
Greenshank - 4 west over fresh marsh
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Snow bunting - 1 on beach west of main path
Water pipit - 1 on drained pool

Paul

Titchwell November 2nd

Today's highlights

Jack snipe - 1 showing from Parrinder Hide again this morning
Manx shearwater - 1 west this morning
Little auk - 1 east
Long tailed duck - 1 east
Velvet scoter - 2 offshore
Sandwich tern - 1 offshore
Spotted redshank - 1 on fresh marsh
White fronted goose - 3 adults east over the reserve

We will be working on the fresh marsh again tomorrow so disturbance is likely

Paul

November 3rd 2016

Today's highlights

Purple sandpiper - 1 feeding on the fresh marsh from Parrinder Hide late afternoon
Waxwing - bit of a crazy day for records. 20 in carpark early am followed by 10 west @ 12:30. 70 in the carpark throughout the afternoon then flew west @ 15:45
Little auk - 1 offshore
Velvet scoter - 3 offshore
Greenshank - 3 on tidal pool
Jack snipe - 1 still on fresh marsh islands
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore

The last of the vegetation burning will be taking place tomorrow morning and then the work will be complete. Water levels will be increased to flood the cut areas to suppress any regrowth

Paul

Titchwell November 4th

Today's highlights

White fronted goose - 4 feeding with greylags in maize field by access road this morning
Little auk - 1 offshore
Scaup - 3 west offshore
Jack snipe - 1 from Parrinder Hide + 1 on Patsy's reedbed
Waxwing - 8 west this morning
Goosander - drake on fresh marsh this morning
Arctic tern - late bird offshore

Paul

Titchwell November 7th

Today's highlights

White fronted goose - 5 on fresh marsh today
Waxwing - groups of 6 and 8 west today
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh near Island Hide throughout the day
Long tailed duck - 2 offshore
Velvet scoter - 1 offshore
Red kite - 1 over grazing meadow
Spotted redshank - 2 on volunteer marsh
Ruff - 50 on fresh marsh

Paul

Woke up to a garden full of blackbirds..at least double figures in my little "orchard" feeding on windfall apples and scores in the paddock and nearby hedgerows behind my house. Now, there were a few males with yellow orbital eyerings but dark brown/ black bills; they also had slightly lighter contrasting flight feathers to the body plumage.

Are these likely to be continental? I will dig out my BWP Handbooks later on if I remember.

Down to just a couple of bramblings still feeding on the beechmast.

Pat

Dersingham Bog Stonechat colour-Ring project

As many of you are no doubt aware, we've been running a colour-ringed project for Stonechats on Dersingham Bog for the past few years.

A new website has just been launched which gives further details of the project and provides an easy way of reporting sightings of colour-ringed birds. https://northwestnorfolkstonechats.wordpress.com/

Another avenue for reporting sightings is via the Twitter feed - https://twitter.com/NWNfkStonechats

or direct via email - mailto: [email protected]

Any help raising awareness of the project itself would be appreciated.

2016 was a very successful season with 13 pairs producing 95 juveniles, all of which were ringed. This follows on from 2015 with 10 pairs producing 51 ringed juveniles.

We're keen to receive sightings of our colour-ringed birds, both on the Bog and elsewhere to see where the young disperse to over the winter and whether they return to the Bog to breed or set up territories elsewhere.

Thanks,
Irene

Whitlingham CP Trowse

10/11/2016 Whitlingham CP: Velvet Scoter, 2 Goldeneye, Goosander & these 8 Bewick's Swans heading west presumably on their way to Welney WWT.

Attachments

• 088 Bewick's Swan (Cygnus columbianus) Whitlingham CP Norfolk UK GB November 2016 cp crs 130dpi.jpg
    088 Bewick's Swan (Cygnus columbianus) Whitlingham CP Norfolk UK GB November 2016 cp crs 130dpi.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 86
Titchwell November 10th

Today's highlights

Scaup - 2 offshore this morning
Velvet scoter - at least 5 offshore
Water pipit - 2 on fresh marsh
White fronted goose - 7 birds (5 adults) around the reserve
Little auk - 1 on fresh marsh briefly late morning then flew to the sea
Long tailed duck - 1 offshore
Snow bunting - 12 on beach at end of main path

Paul

Titchwell November 11th

Today's highlights

Common crane - 3 high west over the reserve calling @ 12:00
Red kite - 1 west
Waxwing - 3 west
White fronted goose - 7 still around the reserve
Long tailed duck - 2 offshore

Paul

Titchwell November 12th

Today's highlights

Water pipit - 3 on fresh marsh from Parrinder Hide
Jack snipe - 2 on fresh marsh from Parrinder Hide
Long tailed duck - 1 offshore
White fronted goose - 1 in maize stubble by access road this afternoon

Paul

Titchwell November 14th

Today's highlights

Hen harrier - 2 ringtails to roost this evening
Long tailed duck - 4 offshore
White fronted goose - 5 on fresh marsh
Short eared owl - 1 in/off sea
Yellow legged gull - 1 in fresh marsh roost

Paul

We had a productive day in the Brecks today, despite failing to find the great grey shrike. Cracking firecrest at Lynford Arboretum and 20+ waxwings at Santon Downham were highlights, but hawfinches at Santon Warren were probably best. We had two there at midday, 4 at 12.45 and at least 7 at 2.15. The birds were at "Field Barn", in trees around the metal water tank viewed from the entrance to ride 24. Loads of brambling there too and in beeches along the road, we reckon c200 altogether.

Titchwell November 16th

Today's highlights

Bean goose - 5 still in harvested maize field by the access road. Much debate over the race of these birds today and worth a look if you are passing.
White fronted goose - at least 6 birds (family of 4 + single adult & juv) still around the reserve
Long tailed duck - 18 offshore
Scaup - 4 female offshore
Black throated diver - 1 offshore
Great Northern diver - 1 offshore
Goosander - drake offshore
Velvet scoter - 5 offshore
Snow bunting - 5 in/off sea and flew west
Spotted redshank - 3 on tidal pool
Greenshank - 2 on tidal pool
Hen harrier - 2 ringtails to roost

Paul

Titchwell November 17th

Today's highlights

Hen harrier - male and ringtail over Thornham Marsh this afternoon
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Brambling - female on feeders

Paul

Titchwell updates

Hi all

I have noticed that Norfolk pages have been very quiet recently apart from my daily postings from the reserve.
Just wanted to check and see if people are still finding them useful, don't want to be filling up the forum pages if they are not?

Paul

Hi all

I have noticed that Norfolk pages have been very quiet recently apart from my daily postings from the reserve.
Just wanted to check and see if people are still finding them useful, don't want to be filling up the forum pages if they are not?

Paul

I read the Norfolk pages most days, including your entries Paul although Twitter is my preferred medium for sending & receiving news as it is instant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back