• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (26 Viewers)

Fantastic doesn't seem two minutes since Redwings left! great to see them on berries beautiful birds

Yes I still get a thrill seeing redwings close up.

The weather for the next few days looks good for our regular Scandinavian visitors, gentle NE winds and a lot of clear sky, just a few showers. Should be a trouble free crossing for them. Hopefully something less regular will turn up as well.

Next week Mon-Fri we're up near Scratby. We'll do some wandering around the beaches and churches and probably visit Hickling Broad. Is there a good site/sites to visit that might have a chance of there being something 'unusual'? Not that we'd necessarily be able to ID it - unless say it was a crane or Lammergeier or some other more noticeable birdee! :D Just enjoy watching the birds really. :)

You are guaranteed to see the Cranes at the moment: the road from Acle to Clippesby or the minor road from Clippesby to Thurne are both good
(See blog: click link below!)

Yes! It's at Martham Ferry, east of Potter Heigham. Turn left at the duck pond / shops, follow signs to staithe. Park in the public car park and walk along the river (eastwards) for half a mile: it's in the flooded meadows on the right.

Can someone enlighten me to were the car park is in holme?thanks
Turn off the A149 just as you have entered Holme and follow the sign to the beach. After approx 1/2 mile you reach a dead end near the golf course and the car park is on your right just before you run out of road.
The Red-Flanked Bluetail showed well today when it came out but it is elusive and is harassed by Robins so disappears regularly but if you’re patient it does come into the open.

I was actually at an Astronomy event at Kelling early am when the news broke: it never even occurred to me to go and see the RBC - I should think the world and his wife was there by midday!

It's been quite a weekend. For a couple of days there's been redwings calling from the trees everywhere in Dereham. Fieldfares have been all over the fields, and gangs of blackbirds have been rampaging through gardens. Sadly, already, the redwings and fieldfares have mostly moved on.

I find it of particular interest at times like these to look at how the weather in the rest of Europe (and beyond!) might be shaping things. However, I find, the charts offered by the Met Office and the BBC are not as good as they might be for these purposes and so I've been looking at alternatives.

I have looked at Metcheck, Magic Seaweed, Wetterzentrale and XCweather, but was most impressed by this one.

https://www.windfinder.com/#3/49.5042/9.5421/nospots

It's called Windfinder and anyone not already acquainted might give it a look. It covers the world; it does wind, temperature, and rainfall, but unfortunately not cloud cover. The wind with the map style set to 'gradient' and the 'particle' option selected is detailed, clear and... quite mesmeric!

Any suggestions for weather sites worth a look would be very welcome.

Colin

It's been quite a weekend. For a couple of days there's been redwings calling from the trees everywhere in Dereham. Fieldfares have been all over the fields, and gangs of blackbirds have been rampaging through gardens. Sadly, already, the redwings and fieldfares have mostly moved on.

I find it of particular interest at times like these to look at how the weather in the rest of Europe (and beyond!) might be shaping things. However, I find, the charts offered by the Met Office and the BBC are not as good as they might be for these purposes and so I've been looking at alternatives.

I have looked at Metcheck, Magic Seaweed, Wetterzentrale and XCweather, but was most impressed by this one.

https://www.windfinder.com/#3/49.5042/9.5421/nospots
Thanks for the link Colin
It's called Windfinder and anyone not already acquainted might give it a look. It covers the world; it does wind, temperature, and rainfall, but unfortunately not cloud cover. The wind with the map style set to 'gradient' and the 'particle' option selected is detailed, clear and... quite mesmeric!

Any suggestions for weather sites worth a look would be very welcome.

Colin
Thanks for the update yes impressive numbers of migrant birds moving into norfolk, thanks for the link

It has been a quiet few days at Dereham; the only thing new has been a few common snipe, which, I guess, are migrants that crossed before the winds changed. The fieldfares have all passed through; a few redwings remain and lots of blackbirds.

I dont expect to be going in any hides for a while, but looking at photos of the new Snettisham hide it looks like it should give good views. I'm not sure about the architecture, but perhaps they'll have a chance to rebuild it again in due course!

With the strong SW winds dropping, there has been a fresh influx of fieldfares at Dereham, and a couple of brambling.

Also, I have been pleasantly surprised to find snipe and a green sandpiper feeding on puddles on ploughed fields on the higher ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back