• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (102 Viewers)

Walked from Burnham Overy Staithe to Holkham today, loafed around a bit in the dunes near Gun Hill watching a nice flock of about 50 Snow Bunts cavorting on the beach along with the usual Turnstone, Grey/Golden Plover and Redshank etc.

The walk along Holkham pines was a bit quiet cept for a Muntjack Deer and MASSES of Jays!! Then spent a bit of time pishing in the woods..came up trumps with my first ever Firecrest (harah!) also had a good number of Goldcrest and Tree Creeper. Watched a Short Eared Owl hunting in the distance from Holkham Gap (way out on the marsh towards Wells along sea wall),was really hoping for one of these earlier while watching a Barn Owl from the Washington hide an hour previous!!

Last sightings of the day were the tens of thousands of Pinks coming into roost over the marshes...nothing better:t:

Matt

Attachments

• burnham overy staithe 016 (Custom).jpg
    burnham overy staithe 016 (Custom).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 117
  • burnham overy staithe 020 (Custom).jpg
    burnham overy staithe 020 (Custom).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 116
  • burnham overy staithe 025 (Custom).jpg
    burnham overy staithe 025 (Custom).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 90
  • burnham overy staithe 047 (Custom).jpg
    burnham overy staithe 047 (Custom).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 95
  • burnham overy staithe 097 (Custom).jpg
    burnham overy staithe 097 (Custom).jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 111
Matt - thanks for the splendid pics. When I visited the Norfolk coast in July this year the weather was diabolical. Thank you for showing me how nice it can look in the sunshine!
Kindest regards,
Dave Kennedy

Drink a lot of coffee on your walk?! 3:)

I've always wondered if this technique really works.. and you have proof it does!

Gareth

It certainly does, can sometimes feel a bit of a numpt if a dog walker is coming in the other direction though, if done properly it can bring out a bird you wish to get a better look at ...so give it a go!!

Thanks dave:t:

Thanks too to Tim for the PM (your PM was box full!)

Matt

Drink a lot of coffee on your walk?! 3:)

I've always wondered if this technique really works.. and you have proof it does!

Gareth

Matt,

A word of advice.....in South Africa we call it spishing, not pishing, lol. Saves you from being misunderstood.

I have used a different technique here in SA which has yielded good results on many occasions. Make a fist of your hand, and suck the skin more or less where the thumb and index finger meet. This produces a high-pitched squeaking which, with practice, you can vary quite a bit. I have no idea what birds think it is.........but they will often come close to investigate.
But alas - you will still look like a numpty if a dog-walker happens along.
Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Last edited:
Merlin hunting low over reeds at Cley NWT in late afternoon, from East Bank this Monday. Perched several times. (Info particularly for kstar_76)

Following on from this in a sense, Merlins have also been reported in the last couple of days at Lyng and Roydon Common (in evening roost).

Connor

Buckenham / Cantley Marshes

Went for a wander round Buckenham / Cantley Marshes this morning. Amazing views of two Peregrines sitting on gate posts. The Bean Geese were present at the far end of Buckenham Marshes (starting from Buckenham Railway Station) and a small flock of White-fronted Geese were over the other side of the sluice on Cantley Marshes.
Saw a pipit that I am hoping is a Water Pipit - I have put a description of it in the Bird Identification Forum - perhaps you could take a look and give me some advice.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Ian

A few bits at Holme NOA yesterday, 15 Siskins, 45+ Fieldfare, Slavonian Grebe, pair of Long-tailed Duck etc. Visit my blog for more.

Cheers,

Connor

Buckenham / Cantley Marshes

Saw a pipit that I am hoping is a Water Pipit - I have put a description of it in the Bird Identification Forum - perhaps you could take a look and give me some advice.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Ian

hi ian

from your description not sure you can rule out (scandanavian) rock or meadow, i don't see them often but had one on friday in peculiar habitat, much paler overall than meadow or rock esp round the head and the two wing bars and supercilium (esp behind eye) are usually very striking, the base of the bill usually yellowish, this one had very white outer tail feathers.

cheers

Strange Bird

Just got off the phone with a birder friend of mine who was in Bacton/Walcott working and he saw a strange bird.

His description is that it was Wheatear in shape but with no white rump and it had a nice super, it behaved like a wheatear (flicking tail and using high points to feed) he had flushed it out of a tree and it then went on to fence posts and into a ploughed field opposite the Pochers Pocket pub.

He had no bins with him so didn't get alot on it, but I thought if anyone is out that way it might be worth a look.

Gary

His description is that it was Wheatear in shape but with no white rump and it had a nice super, it behaved like a wheatear (flicking tail and using high points to feed) he had flushed it out of a tree and it then went on to fence posts and into a ploughed field opposite the Pochers Pocket pub.

Gary

Sounds like a stonechat to me. Do you know if they and white patches in the wings which is a good feature of them especially when they are in flight?

Paul

Tim - I would call him but I dont have his number, and he is more than likely to be in the area.

Paul - I said Stonechat but he was sure it wasn't . Plus there wouldn't be a supercilium.

I think I will take a look first light tomorrow on may way to work.

I noticed on BGs that there are a couple of redhead smew at Welney, does anyone know where they are on site and how well they're showing?

Just got off the phone with a birder friend of mine who was in Bacton/Walcott working and he saw a strange bird.

He had no bins with him so didn't get alot on it, but I thought if anyone is out that way it might be worth a look.

Gary

Sounds intriguing but these reports often have a straightforward, 'common bird' outcome. I've alerted a non-BF, good birder friend of mine who regularly watches the area and no doubt the Fizz knows by now. We'll see what develops...

Saw a cracking male Stonechat by the Cart Gap turn off this afternoon.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back