• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (5 Viewers)

Titchwell August 14th

Today's highlights

Curlew sandpiper - 4 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Eider - 29 offshore

Paul

No rarities from me today, but did get approx 200 Golden Plovers settling down in fields between Long Stratton and Diss along A140. Don't now why but they seem to like the area and have had some pretty impressive winter counts in the past. Never seen them this early though so maybe they're just passing!!

Also two Common Buzzards mewing from a small wood on my cycle ride home!!

Not bad going for inland south Norfolk!!

Back to rare and lost coastal waders......

Matt

Attachments

• gplovers, tivetshall.jpg
    gplovers, tivetshall.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 69
Blakeney - House on the Hill - had another look here for my RB Shrike - but no sign and no birds here this time at all either, only a great tit and a wood pigeon.

Cley, North Hide, North Scrape 'probable' Semi-palmated Sandpiper at 7.40pm in the very far distance amongst loads of dunlins, lapwings, cormorants etc, also 1 Wood Sandpiper. Hide full of birders with several familiar faces with lots of banter from Eddie M!!! I am certainly no expert and if I had seen it on my own at that distance - I would have just thought it a little stint - so will leave the ID of this bird to the experts!

Thank you to David N. (nice to see you out again) who very kindly gave me a call:t: and also to MG and Connor:t:

Walking back along the fence line I was almost at the pill box - Eddie M.and Richard had been walking not too far behind when suddenly Eddie shouted 'dolphins' at me!!!!!!!!!! (around 7.55pm) - I swung round and rushed to get higher up the shingle ridge - HOW FRUSTRATING. Eddie had seen 2 dolphins breaching, Richard had not seen them either. We scanned for any more signs, but alas nothing. I would have rather have seen dolphins off Cley beach than a little LBJ in far distance amongst dunlins;)

Watched the sun setting against the sea, by the duck pond at Salthouse and drove home.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Hi Penny I made a rare visit to Norfolk this week and as I drove out of Blakeney on Thursday I saw a house on a hill and a lay-bye with a no parking sign.I thought I bet that's where the RB Shrike was seen so I pulled in and saw no birds at all.Too late again!!!.How long did it stay and has it been seen again?

Max.

Hi Penny I made a rare visit to Norfolk this week and as I drove out of Blakeney on Thursday I saw a house on a hill and a lay-bye with a no parking sign.I thought I bet that's where the RB Shrike was seen so I pulled in and saw no birds at all.Too late again!!!.How long did it stay and has it been seen again?

Max.

Hi Max

Yes that was the correct place. It was only there for the Sunday evening, there was only about 8ish people that saw it!

Beautiful day, but no birds really of any note whatsoever!!!

Friary Hills, Blakeney

7 Linnets sitting on elders. Family of juv. kestrels flying around.

BLAKENEY POINT

Not a single bird in the suada going out - couple of curlews on the marshes distantly. Lots of common, sandwich and little terns fishing in the glittering surf. The sea looked beautiful today - really turquoise! Long Hills - 2 kestrels and up by the Lifeboat house 2 marsh harriers were going west along Blakeney Harbour. Few meadow pipits. Best bird was a juv. wheatear along the sandy path before you cross over to walk to The Plantation. Had a late lunch and snooze in the sun by the plantation. First time I have been here and not seen a single bird!!! On the way back more terns in the evening sunlight, a big flock of dunlin flew west, 2 ringed plovers on the beach and several single cormorants were going west. Quite a few great black backed gulls stood on the beach. Because of lack of (NONE) birds on way out, I walked the whole length back on the beach - got back to coastguards 7.30pm.

Daukes Hide - 7.45pm

Usual Saturday night birders!!!;) 1 Green Sandpiper, several dunlins, ruff, egyptian geese, 1 heron, avocets, shelduck, massive gull flock.

Last edited:
LUCKY, LUCKY DAY:t:;)B :)

I was ironing this morning, and feeling quite low in mood about the rest of the day. Was going to cut the hedge next and then work this afternoon at 3pm:-C

RBA Pager: Osprey over north scrape, Cley at 8.48am. Hmmm... I thought, will it carry on going west, carried on ironing. Next message 'flew west over Brancaster at 10.30am:eek!: No time to get to Holme now I thought..... Next message 'west over Holme NWT at 11.09am'..... flew out of house and aimed to go stand by the church at West Newton and scan across, when I got there I realised the last time I had stood here to watch a rough legged buzzard there were alot less leaves on the trees!!!! (idiot). Last hope was Lynn Point, turned round following tons of traffic and got to Lynn Point at approx 12.05pm (the road down to Lynn Point is like being on boat, no good for the suspension at all, which is why I don't often go down there). Anyway stood and scanned the sea and VERY VERY luckily saw the OSPREY struggling past in the wind (12.25pm), going west distantly, looked stunning in the sunshine, but greedily would have liked closer views, but hey ho can't have everything;):t: Also one common buzzard, 3 marsh harriers, 2 little egrets and lots of common terns.

Lesser black backed gulls x 2, herring gulls by the Docks (corner before you turn to point) and by the bridge by the Silos a flock of greylag geese swimming and several cormorants.

P.S. Hedge did not get cut!

P.P. S. My mother whilst watching a family of stonechats on the golfcourse (Old Hunstanton side) at Holme had a juv. Whinchat at 8.30am today.

Last edited:
Sounds like you were more lucky than me Penny! I went to Denver Sluice to see if the Osprey would go down the river, but alas no luck. Sounds like you had it heading towards Lincolnshire I guess? I did have 20+ Yellow Wagtails though, so it wasn't a total loss...

What price Blyth's Reed & Booted Warblers, Yellow-breasted Bunting . . . ?

. . . Bluethroat, Tawny Pipit, Short-toed Lark, Siberian Stonechat, Red-backed Shrike, etc, etc ? ?

West Runton, R.I.P.

Attachments

• P1090810#001.jpg
    P1090810#001.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 100
Answer: £25,000

Any generous person out there willing to part with less than a quarter of some Premiership football players' weekly earnings ?

Enquiries reveal planning permission for residential accommodation near to impossible to obtain.

Offers by 11 Sept.

Any generous person out there willing to part with less than a quarter of some Premiership football players' weekly earnings ?

Enquiries reveal planning permission for residential accommodation near to impossible to obtain.

Offers by 11 Sept.

We should all club together and buy the place B :)

Surely be ideal for someone's private ringing / observation site....little fireproof hut with electricity....pool for waders, bushes and scrub for resting migrants. Within a schoolteacher's salary or retainer, eh JF

Surely be ideal for someone's private ringing / observation site....little fireproof hut with electricity....pool for waders, bushes and scrub for resting migrants. Within a schoolteacher's salary or retainer, eh JF

All joking aside, this would be a terrific acquisition for a keen birder(s) and would surely give the obs at Sheringham a run for its money...

No further sign of the 1st summer Red-foot at Hickling since 1:15pm by all accounts.

James

Titchwell August 18th

Today's highlights

Curlew sandpiper - 3 on fresh marsh
Dunlin - 250 on fresh marsh
Ringed plover - 56 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 63 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Eider - 23 offshore

Paul

We should all club together and buy the place B :)

Hmmmmmmm...... I could sell my house (hate where I live) and live in a caravan on site - sounds lovely - create a nature reserve etc etc..... what a brilliant idea!!!!!!!

Was going to take a trip to Hickling this evening, but no sign I see since 1.15pm of RFF.

Last edited:
Re: jimmyg's suggestion

I've already suggested that, in a private email early morning, to another BF member.

25 people x £1000 = the asking price.

Is this beyond the possible ?

A bit of a 'Falsterbo' feeling at Smallburgh this morning with Marsh Harrier and Buzzard soaring followed by a Hobby on the return journey through there.

Also Hobby just south of Happisburgh village and I heard the distinctive 'chu-it' call of one of this years PGP's as it flew over. :eek!: 3:) It's a shame I never saw it as Spotshank would be a new Happisburgh bird for me... :-O

James

Last edited:
I've already suggested that, in a private email early morning, to another BF member.

I'm sure you could find enough birders to join in for the asking price, there might be problems with up keep and if you plan public access then insurance could be a nightmare... that said I'd be tempted to join in.

John you could of course call yourselves Norfolk Rock Bank and ask the government to pay up for you,then we would all be owners.Just a thought.

POP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back