• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

Popped up to the hides at cley around 4ish on the friday yes I know they are closed
spotted what we think was a sedge warbler (checked its song on the dvd when we got home sounded the same to me) alongside a wren

Grey Phalarope on North Scrape at Cley 9am (thanks to the guy with the scope for giving me a better view) saw this last sunday kept me watching its antics of spinning round for ages 1st time we've ever seen one same goes for the jack snipe

upto to titchwell on the monday
brambling on the feeders and some sanderlings on the beach
little egrets abounded

really need to get a scope
yep know the posts a bit late but been under the weather with a virus

Steve Gantlett asked me if he could use my Burnham Overy Pallas's Warbler picture (that I took on 12th October) in this month's "BIRDING WORLD". Just received my complimentary copy;) Thanks Sue! This has lifted my spirits no end, as been having pre winter doldrums:-C - although I have had two bird pictures published before, they were in newsprint, so this is my first published picture in a glossy magazine. I must admit "Birding World" is very tempting to subscribe to!

http://www.birdingworld.co.uk/BirdingWorld1.htm

http://pennyshotbirdingandlife.blogspot.com/2010/11/steve-gantlett-asked-me-if-he-could-use.html

http://pennyshotbirdingandlife.blogspot.com/2010/10/pallass-warblers.html

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Hi Paul

Don't know if you saw this post?

Hi Penny

Sorry I didn't see your post.
I am afraid that you will have to put your autograph book away (unless you want mine!). The hide will be open in early December (watch this space for a date) but there won't be an official opening event. Our plan is to celebrate the completion of the whole Coastal Change Project sometime next autumn.

Paul

rlass and me , its very , very late for a sedge warbler ( most are gone by mid september ) and i doubt if one would be singing at this time of year. Did you check up on cetties warbler a resident species and one that will sing sometimes at this time of year.

Titchwell November 12th

Today's highlights

Pallas's warbler - 1 along Meadow Trail on and off all day
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Twite - 33 on brackish marsh
Whooper swan - 9 east
Spotted redshank - 9 on saltmarsh
Mealy redpoll - 1 on Fen Trail

Paul

Hi Dave

The RSPB submitted a bid, in partnership with the Thornham Wildfowlers Association, but was unsuccessful in securing the shooting rights on the Thornham Marsh adjacent to the western boundary of the reserve. We are very disappointed with the outcome as our partnership would have allowed us to maintain the current low level of wildfowling that has been carried out for the past 40 years.

At present, no wildfowling is taking place as the Kent Wildfowling Association (the successful bidder) has applied to Natural England for consent to increase the level of shooting on the saltmarsh. A decision from Natural England is not expected until late-December so it seems unlikely that wildfowling would start until the New Year.

Needless to say this is a worrying situation and one that RSPB staff and volunteers will be keeping a close eye on.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

As you say this is worrying. Would Natural England be swayed by representations from private individuals opposed to the increase in wildfowling at this site?

I am quite happy to try to drum up support for this if it will have any effect.

Dave

Jay at Titchwell

Yesterday at Titchwell a birder put me on to a Waxwing in the car park - the bird was actually a Jay. It was perched at the top of a hawthorn and calling regularly but not the normal harsh call. It was more of a 'kwip wip' and 'weep kwip'. I have attached the recording from yesterday.

BWP says that Jays are adept mimics and a favourite target is Tawny Owl which this could well have been meant to be.

Dave

Attachments

• Jay 20101110 Titchwell.mp3
    321.3 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Yesterday at Titchwell a birder put me on to a Waxwing in the car park - the bird was actually a Jay.
Dave

Brilliant stuff!!

On a more serious note anyone in the Broadland area that wants to see a very impressive Starling roost, Strumpshaw currently has 10-12,000 viewable at dusk from the reception screen. Last night they came in fairly late but were kept up in the air by 7 Marsh Harriers plucking them from the sky, quite a spectacle, well worth a look if interested!

Swinging through Weybourne, this morning, I didn’t spot any Waxwings; not that they weren’t there, somewhere.

Gramboro’ held Pete S and some boundy dogs, but little else, save for male Stonechat and call of Blue Tit. An impressive view was had, however, of the sheltering rig.

In a quick visit, Wells Woods produced 2 Chiffchaffs (one bright, one dull), a flock the right size for the Mealy Redpolls and 4 brownhead Goldeneye, on Abraham’s Bosom- three of which are depicted (badly).

Attachments

• 050psesm.jpg
    050psesm.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 065sm.jpg
    065sm.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 105
Today's highlights

Pallas's warbler - 1 along Meadow Trail on and off all day
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Twite - 33 on brackish marsh
Whooper swan - 9 east
Spotted redshank - 9 on saltmarsh
Mealy redpoll - 1 on Fen Trail

Paul

We also had

Hen Harrier - ring-tail over thornham marsh
Slavonian Grebe - sea
14 Grey Partridge - brakish marsh
Yellow-legged Gull - roosting on fresh marsh
9 Whooper Swans - west around 2.30pm

We also had

Hen Harrier - ring-tail over thornham marsh
Slavonian Grebe - sea
14 Grey Partridge - brakish marsh
Yellow-legged Gull - roosting on fresh marsh
9 Whooper Swans - west around 2.30pm

Any more news or sightings of the poss. Northern Harrier around Titchwell/Burnham Overy or elsewhere please Stuart?

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Titchwell November 13th

Today's highlights

Smew - redhead feeding in ditch on brackish marsh
Hen harrier - 2 in roost
Twite - 19 on brackish marsh
Snow bunting - 2 on beach
Waxwing - 6 west @ 13:05
Chiffchaff - 2 on Meadow Trail
Great skua - 1 on fresh marsh until mid-afternoon only
Little gull - 1 offshore

No sign of Pallas's warbler today

Paul

Blingo !

Gramboro’ this morning held the male Stonechat. A Lap flew over (no, not from northern Sweden). Finally, I managed to capture the (?) female Stonechat, who’d relocated to the Beach Road, joined by another male. As can be seen, her rings are L: green over red- or is it orange ? ! ; R: metal over green.

Wells Woods finally produced the Redpoll flock, some of which are featured. One is quite white, several were quite dark.

There were probably 2 Firecrests, at either end of the Dell and 2 Chiffchaffs, as before.

Attachments

• 023psesm.jpg
    023psesm.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 091psesm.jpg
    091psesm.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 178
Today's highlights

Smew - redhead feeding in ditch on brackish marsh
Hen harrier - 2 in roost
Twite - 19 on brackish marsh
Snow bunting - 2 on beach
Waxwing - 6 west @ 13:05
Chiffchaff - 2 on Meadow Trail
Great skua - 1 on fresh marsh until mid-afternoon only
Little gull - 1 offshore

No sign of Pallas's warbler today

Paul

One of the hen harriers showed well. No sign of possible northern harrier.
Grey wagtail
The great skua was pointed out to me by the island in the south east corner of the Freshmarsh at dusk. The bonxie was plucking a shelduck it had caught.

Slightly odd request, but nevermind. Has anyone got a copy of the paper that was published in British Birds on the identification of Willow tits versus Marsh Tits (as recommended by the 2009 Norfolk bird and mammal report). There was a very interesting thread on here in 2007, and the paper was published subsequent to that. The species is, as many of you may well be aware, is now a description species for county records, and I note that from the previous birdforum thread that many of the 'old chestnuts' on field identification are not very reliable (glossy vs matt caps anyone!) and even the call can sometimes be misleading. Hence I would like to be aware of as much information as I can: have emailed an open resource site for a copy but so far no success!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back