• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (26 Viewers)

Titchwell April 8th

Today’s highlights

Garganey – 2 pairs around reserve. 1 showing very well (ca10m) from Parrinder Hide
Red crested pochard – pair from Fen Hide
Yellow wagtail – 3 on brackish marsh
White wagtail – 16 on brackish marsh
Water pipit – 1 on brackish marsh
Little ringed plover – 1 on brackish marsh
Common buzzard – 4 west during day
Med gull – 2 adults over fresh marsh

Paul

I know I've got some strange, controversial, far fetched views and the discussion can get quite heated - healthy isn't it. I know that all the people i had these discussions with are good friends and know that its nothing personal, we meet in the field its all cool.

Have a good weekend everyone

What has happened to you Josh!!.... Pom Skua/Blakeney Resident was far more entertaining8-P

Last edited:
Good luck for the marathon!

Just a couple of thing before getting back to the birds. Thank you for the concern about the drinking, I'm now on a total detox with just over 1 week before the London Marathon and that may well continue onwards.

I had my first Sand Martins of the year at Whitlingham this evening. They hadn't quite made it to the broad, but were soaring high over the field opposite. Also 4 Blackcaps, 1 Willow Warbler and two Egyptian Goose chicks (one has died since last week).

Joshpresidentmolakey or whatever you call yourself now, (bit of the old Prince /symbol thing going on I think), best of luck in the marathon - would def. sponsor you if you wear the orange flotation suit for the 26.4 miles. First sedge warbler of the year for me today at Cley.

Well that discussion about the Black Stork ended interestingly didn't it. As i was typing my computer was literally dying in front of my eyes (the HAL reference being very appropriate), so brand new computer and fresh start, I shall no longer be hiding behind the alias Pomskua or using that log in - i wouldn't want to go back to it - its got blocked chi (i'm guessing this is OK with the MODs because I have a new computer?)

Just a couple of thing before getting back to the birds. Thank you for the concern about the drinking, I'm now on a total detox with just over 1 week before the London Marathon and that may well continue onwards. Yes the pager is just about to go in the post back to RBA, i've only really been using it as an alarm clock recently - expensive for an alarm clock. I shall not however be moving to Sea Palling, Blakeney is satisfying all my needs, however would very much enjoy some profound birding down there Mid May? ;)

I know I've got some strange, controversial, far fetched views and the discussion can get quite heated - healthy isn't it. I know that all the people i had these discussions with are good friends and know that its nothing personal, we meet in the field its all cool.

Have a good weekend everyone

Hi Josh. Sports and drink generally do not mix! George Best pulled several miss world's - he died rather young though!!!! Good luck with the London Marathon. If you are doing it for a charity (not new bins fund!!!) let me know and I will drop a cheque in the post.

Agree the Stork discussion got out of hand - although the gloves are now off, good and proper with others on the thread!!!!! Always enjoyed your company and your alternative ideas on birding and life!

Did some birding today. Which is much better than being on a keyboard!! First Nightingale and Common Terns of the year (in Cambs). Brimstones in large numbers too!!!

Looks a great weekend to be out on the Norfolk Coast or anywhere to be honest.
If you find something good, which you do from time to time, please do not keep it too yourself!!

Anyway, I am sure we will catch up over a beer at some point!!!!!!!

Regards.

Mark.

Surlingham Church Marsh this evening held a new Blackcap and my first Sedge Warblers of the year (2) and a reeling Grasshopper Warbler. Viewed from the foot of the ruins if anyone is interested.
Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Josh. Good luck with the London Marathon. If you are doing it for a charity (not new bins fund!!!) let me know and I will drop a cheque in the post.

Looks a great weekend to be out on the Norfolk Coast or anywhere to be honest.
If you find something good, which you do from time to time, please do not keep it too yourself!!

Anyway, I am sure we will catch up over a beer at some point!!!!!!!

Regards.

Mark.

Cheers! A Beautiful saunter around the patch had Yellow Wags and Wheatears. I've been fundraising for multiple sclerosis and have raised close to 2k, thats why I've been off the scene. If anyone is about tomorrow i'll be fundraising on Blakeney Quay in full 118 gear and wig 8-P

Cheers! A Beautiful saunter around the patch had Yellow Wags and Wheatears. I've been fundraising for multiple sclerosis and have raised close to 2k, thats why I've been off the scene. If anyone is about tomorrow i'll be fundraising on Blakeney Quay in full 118 gear and wig 8-P

Is that the MS society Josh. For all you thread readers, Norfolk has a high number of MS sufferers when compared to the national average!! Why. It just does!!!

Josh, e-mail me your address.

Mark.

Had a nice wander around Sculthorpe moor today. Best sightings were three bull finches, a brambling and the Golden Pheasant walking along the boardwalk:t::t:. Aso marsh harrier, Marsh Tit and Buzzard.

Stiffkey Campsite Wood, Fen and Cley NWT

Highlights today were Short eared Owl at Stiffkey Campsite, my first Orange Tip butterfly and Speckled Wood. At Cley I watched a Marsh Harrier carrying a large fish! Loads of hirundines at 7pm: Swallows, Sand Martins and my first House Martins on route to Daukes' Hide at Cley.

See blog for full update.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

A rare day of success in The Brecks yesterday included 3+ Goshawk, Lesser Pecker, Woodlark and some Lizards!
Off to Estonia on Monday, hold onto any Broadland rarities please folks!
Cheers,
Jim.

3 Little Ringed Plovers and 2 singing Sedge warblers at Thorpe Station Marsh this morning. Another birder onsite had heard a Grasshopper Warbler from Bungalow Lane, but it was keeping quiet when I looked!

A couple of very enjoyable garden ticks in recent weeks. Following on from 70 Waxwing in the single large tree in my back garden at the end of March, today 2 Common Crane flew over! I guess they were wanderers from the Broads enjoying the warm weather; they arrived high from the NE at 11.18, circled over Taverham, before drifting off SW at 11.25. A more than deserved reward for a brief "skywatch" from the garden and a considerable improvement from the 2 Common Buzzard noted yesterday (although even these are not exactly common in these parts).

Cheers,
Mike

Not much happening at Holme other than a ringtail Hen Harrier that was hunting behind the pay hut for a bit before flying off east. At Titchwell this afternoon there were a few Blackcaps singing and a nice mixture of Yellow and White Wags on the fresh marsh.

When the metal barricades first went up at Waxham Sands Holiday Park effectively barring birders from general access to the site I was one of the first to complain but now, several years on, I'm beginning to think that actually it could have been a blessing in disguise.
With no way in now other than becoming world high-jump champion or learning to pole vault, one has no choice but to observe the field from the dunes along the perimeter, but if its gone midday and you're already knackered after spending most of the morning wandering up and down Winterton North Dunes with not much to show for it, a nice sit down and scan from the dunes in the warm sunshine is most therapeutic.
The moment was also enhanced because employees on site had the stereo system whacked up to full volume and whilst I'm checking out the pipits and wagtails I'm listening to great chill-out music like Supertramps "Give a Little Bit" followed by some classy jazz number that was excellent but which I can't put a name to.
"But what did you see?" I hear you ask. Well there were a couple of nice White Wagtails and a Yellow amongst the more numerous Pied, about 75 Linnets and a few Meadow Pipits and that was about it, but a most enjoyable and relaxing hour of birding.
Went on and saw the DOTterals - actually they were'nt that far away but I can't help thinking of the one I saw at Kessingland last year that came so close that it could have held its wing out, shook my hand and said hello! Many thanks to the finder of the Waxham birds though. Two Whitethroats were also year-ticks as was an adult Little Gull seen later in the day on Ormesby Broad.
Nice day, nice weather, cracking birds. SB.

A Whitethroat was new in at Happisburgh this morning and singing nicely from the thorn thicket at the Decca site. 7 Sandwich Terns on the groynes by the village were my first of 2011. A monster Goshawk soaring over North Walsham was a real surprise and inspired me to find some high ground overlooking the Ant valley where I had a Peregrine and Marsh Harrier through as well as some excellent Buzzard watching...

James

Blakeney Point and Cley all day!

As I posted earlier at the time - the day started with 2 Green Sandpipers at 7am on the Eye Pool at Cley. Walked to 'Halfway House', Blakeney Point and back, very little. Went to Walsey Hills, Sarbury Hill, North Scrape and back to Walsey Hills. Got some cracking pictures of a Common Crane that flew along Iron Road, Cley and over my head in the blue skies!

See blog for full update and pictures to be added tomorrow evening.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back