• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (28 Viewers)

For anyone with a Norwich list the female Eider was reported as drifting in the Norwich direction past Strumpshaw this afternoon. Surely not on many people's Norwich list, keep your eyes out Jim, James and co may not be far from Whitlingham.

Thanks Ben. Hopefully it will follow the example of the GN Diver, moving a bit further along the river every day and then settling onto Whitlingham Broad! Unfortunately like Jim I'm working during the week and its pretty much dark when I leave and get home, so I have too hope its still around on Saturday!

4 white-fronted geese east over Choseley @ 08:10. There is a large flock of pinks feeding between the drying barns and White City and they probably dropped in with them.

Paul

Wow! Now that's an impressive flock.... Hope it sticks around!

With Lowestoft seemingly turnng into the new Beidaihe, i'm hoping people are getting enthused about these Geese, it is difficult knowing that if we are lucky our Tit flocks might contain a Chiffchaff when Suffolk is swimming in rare. I've now banned myself from reading the lounge Lizard website because its too upsetting :-O If the winds remain from the SE I don't think we are going to get any of this stuff :-C

Anyway myself and another observer are certain we had 4 Taiga Bean Geese on the Freshes this afternoon and in retrospect two of the birds this morning could have also been Taigas. No idea whether Taiga is a Cley square mega or a description species outside Buckenham ;)

It was a family party and the gander was neck collared. The birds were bigger than the neigbouring White-fronts with a much more elegant thinner neck and the bill resembling a white Swans rather than a small Goose, there also seemed to be extensive orange on the bill. It was discussed how all these factors are favourable.

There might be an assumption that all the Bean Geese currently moving through are going to be Tundra, when there surely are going to be both sorts mixed in.

They were however distant and had spread out much as they did yesterday, best viewed early morning when all the Geese have collected in the close field.

Titchwell November 15th

Today’s highlights

Desert wheatear – male on beach at Thornham Point all day
Yellow browed warbler – 1 in picnic area
Twite – 21 west
Shorelark – 4 west
Waxwing – 10 in carpark briefly @ 13:10
Slavonian grebe – 1 offshore
Snow bunting – 2 on beach
Spoonbill – 1 on fresh marsh
Little gull - 100 offshore
Hen harrier - ringtail at roost

Paul

Desert on the beach

Great day at Titchwell today. Caught up with the Desert Wheatear and managed to take a few digiscoped pics

Attachments

• IMG_0680copy 1.jpg
    IMG_0680copy 1.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 131
Apart from brief views of the Dusky Warbler at Horsey today, the area around the mere also produced four White-fronted Geese (three over with Pink-foots and an adult by the mill with Mallards!) Little Egret, Hen Harrier, Kingfisher, four Chiffchaffs, five Lesser Redpolls and one Bullfinch. Some Fieldfares showed excellently in the mid-afternoon light. Interesting was hearing a Water Rail giving off a constant alarm call from a small copse between the road and the mere. It was going absolutely potty for about ten minutes. Couldn't see what was going on but I reckon that due to the amount of commotion, there was a pair and one of them had been nabbed by a Sparrowhawk/Stoat etc. Cant imagine a Water Rail getting so distressed and worked-up unless something bad was happening to one of its own kind. Dont know this for sure but its just an idea.

Last edited:
Was wondering if anyone on the forum has birded the wood at Caister golf course? Is there public access here? Humes leaf warbler reported from there today, just hoping it is still present come the weekend. The run of south easterlies seems to have dropped a few (reported) in Suffolk; suprised this Norfolk record has not got a few year listers twitchy. Maybe it has?!
A very poor Autumn for rb fly, I can only think of one Norfolk record. Why so few?
Cheers,
Jim

[QUOTE=Pomskua;2291341

There might be an assumption that all the Bean Geese currently moving through are going to be Tundra, when there surely are going to be both sorts mixed in.

At the weekend there were some Taiga Bean just over the border in Suffolk along the Waveney Valley between Bungay and Beccles so they are definately on the move.

Was wondering if anyone on the forum has birded the wood at Caister golf course? Is there public access here? Humes leaf warbler reported from there today, just hoping it is still present come the weekend. The run of south easterlies seems to have dropped a few (reported) in Suffolk; suprised this Norfolk record has not got a few year listers twitchy. Maybe it has?!
A very poor Autumn for rb fly, I can only think of one Norfolk record. Why so few?
Cheers,
Jim

I've occasionally checked the wood which I believe is the one you are referring to - opposite Tesco's on the other side of the main road. I've only ever looked from the side of the road and resisted all temptation to walk along the lane leading to the golf clubhouse as there's a big "private/club members only" sign at the entrance. Might be worth asking for special permission to bird here as they can only say no.

Rough-leg RFI

Just a quick one - was out at Burnham Overy Marshes on Mon and saw a distant Buteo sitting on the ground with its back to me. The bird was extremely pale and I therefore erred towards Common Buzzard, but since then I've heard that the/one of the Rough-legged Buzzards in the same area is leucistic / very pale.

Despite spending about an hour in the area and repeatedly coming back to the bird, I didn't see it in flight or from the front. Just wondering if anyone has or knows of a (back on) pic of the pale Rough-leg that's reportedly around there at the moment?

Cheers

Last edited:
So I lied to myself today and told myself that Uni work was all under control and I was ahead of schedule to justify 1.5 hours birding at Buckenham. A lone white-fronted goose,looking rather sad was the first bird of the day, and whilst watching this we were drawn to a hunting ringtail, my first for Buckenham(had at strumpshaw) and a great sight as she came rushing past the car incredibly low.

A lot of wigeon, including an injured, I think shot individual, golden plover lapwing and an assortment of geese made up the bulk of the birds, some starling fieldfare and linnet also. 1 shoveler on the pool, a few godwit and one or two gull. The Hen came back later on, again in hunting mode, fantastic views, the day finished with a kestrel and female marsh harrier on the deck.

8500 words to go.. no more birding..

Titchwell November 16th

Today’s highlights

Yellow browed warbler – 1 on Meadow Trail
Rough legged buzzard – 1 reported west @ 13:45
Grey phalarope – 1 reported on brackish marsh @ 12:15 but no further sign
Slavonian grebe – 6 offshore
Long-tailed duck – female offshore
Snow bunting – 3 on beach

Desert wheatear – no sign all day

Paul

Black throated Divers do exist in Norfolk waters !

Had good views of an adult off the beach car park at cley today, also 2 drake Velvet scoter, probable little auk but too distant to be 100% sure. Ring Ouzel in off the sea, lots of Guillemots around, Gannets, Little Gulls, Red-throated Divers everywhere, juv Arctic Skua past and BOnxie on the sea butchering a duck?

After lunch we enjoyed the blakeney goose flock but no sign of any Bean geese, those barnacles look lovely and wild !

Finished at Warham greens where we saw this Rough-legged Buzzard. All the usual excuses, very gloomy, 50X magnification and with a mobile phone at full zoom with less than 1m pixel ! Also groups of 5 & 4 Lapland buntings flying around over the stubble fields and 3-4 Hen Harriers in to roost including a male.

Attachments

• DSC00319[1].JPG
    DSC00319[1].JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC00320[1].JPG
    DSC00320[1].JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 133
I've occasionally checked the wood which I believe is the one you are referring to - opposite Tesco's on the other side of the main road. I've only ever looked from the side of the road and resisted all temptation to walk along the lane leading to the golf clubhouse as there's a big "private/club members only" sign at the entrance. Might be worth asking for special permission to bird here as they can only say no.

Thanks SB, will see if any friendly golfers are on the course this Saturday.
Just to repeat my earlier question- it seems to have been a poor Autumn for Red-breasted Flycatcher, any thoughts on why folks?
Cheers,
Jim.

Finally made it to Norfolk last weekend - it was a bit of a factfinding missoin, not having been birding up there before, and i made a couple of schoolboy errors but still enjoyed myself:

- Sat pm - Lakenheath Fen - a lot of swans, huge numbers of crows as it got to dusk, and a few squadrons of geese overhead, not much else but worth a re-visit - someone had put up on the board they'd seen an otter on one of the paths - lucky them!

Sunday am - Snettisham - the tide was out - saw a few waders and a big flock of something-or-other quite a way out (sorry couldn't id from the distance involved, but plover-sized)

then Titchwell - some firsts - a woodcock (somehow someone spotted it hiding in some bushes) and a greenshank - the pools that you can walk alongside had a few waders so close you didn't even need bins - also another post here has reminded me there was a yellow-browed warbler, which i must admit i did see flitting about but didn't get a good view - was relying on others to verify

the highlight was the flying display put on by the golden plovers

and birds aside, i've never seen so many big scopes and cameras - this was birder city!

finally Cley - after an unfortunate diversion when I somehow transferred from the A149 onto the b-road (1107?) going south

not much daylight but diving into the hide nearest the visitor centre i still picked up another first - two jack snipe

also saw about 10 avocet busily wading and using those amazing bills - had seen them before but only static from a long way off

and a pair of marsh harriers later on

and finally some lovely flocking displays - it was so silent you could hear them really well and their reflections at times as they flew across the water were terrific

was all on my own for much of this which was nice to really soak in the atmosphere

so Cley was my favourite followed by Titchwell but without doubt i didn't see Snettisham at its best

generally i loved the area - the 149 (when i didn't lose my way) is a great road and i loved all the geese flying around

the only slight downer was the sheer amount of roadkill around there - hares, rabbits foxes, birds of prey - i guess it shows there is just a lot of wildlife there overall but it was still a bit shocking - is it something to do with the time of year?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back