• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (48 Viewers)

looking for pubs in the broads

Hi,

I've got some friends coming to the broads in July and they are looking for some good places to eat.

They're staying at Reedham Ferry but the pub there gets decidely mixed reviews.

I have no experience at all of pubs in the area, so any recommendations welcome.

Cheers,

Gordon

You could try the 'Fur and Feather' at Woodbastwick. It is the brewery tap for Woodfordes Ales, so the beer is always top notch. The food is usually very good too. It's the other side of the Yare to Surlingham, though, so I don't know if that is a problem.

Website here.

Ron

Last edited:
We are so lucky here at Birdforum. I have a friend who is a bike enthusiast and regularly posts on website called Bikeforum, or something along those lines, full details evade me at the moment unfortunately. Anyway, some of his post regarding major bike issues have been deleted recently. Nothing offence, just pure love for the bikes and a eagerness to bring certain problems closer to home, and rightly so in my opinion considering the severity of the situation. But certain tyrannical members of this organisation have seen it fit to silence these matter of importance, without even the decency of an excuse I might add.
This outrageous decapitation of human rights got me thinking about how lucky we here at Birdforum are. I mean, could you imagine that sort of behaviour here from our moderators? It would be hard to fathom, surely?
Let me be the first to congratulate us for living in the land of freedom.

pol-pot2.jpg

You are free, to do as we tell you.

Kindest Regards

Kieran JR Nixon

Last edited:
Pub grub!

I have to say: the best pub food in the known universe is at the Brick Kilns, Little Plumstead...
Again: it's the other side of the river, but the food is amazing (including vegan and vegetarian) and the portions are HUGE! It's about ten minutes from Strumpshaw Fen / ten minutes from Norwich.
http://www.thebrickkilns.co.uk/
David

Hi,

I've got some friends coming to the broads in July and they are looking for some good places to eat.

They're staying at Reedham Ferry but the pub there gets decidely mixed reviews.

I have no experience at all of pubs in the area, so any recommendations welcome.

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi there Gordon,
I do most of my birding that side of the Yare, so hopefully I can chip in with a few options.
I have eaten at Reedham Ferry and it was decent, plus they brew their own (Humpty Dumpty Brewery) so good ale on tap. It could become a bit of a tourist trip in the Summer, mind.
I like the Ferry Inn at Surlingham. Couple of ales on, food is good pub grub without being anything special. Good lunch venue by the river, and they could combine this with a circular walk around RSPB Church Marsh.
Towards Norwich you have the Wood's End at Bramerton. I have popped in for a drink a while back, it was missing something in all honesty although it is now under new ownership (again). Not sure what the food would be like. Great spot by the river though.
Rockland New Inn is under new ownership, and has been given a lick of paint and possibly a refurb. Looks promising http://www.newinnrockland.co.uk/ and I would say is your best bet. It is just opposite the staithe with a walk to the RSPB hide and Rockland Broad a great way to work off that dinner!
Chedgrave and Loddon share around 3 pubs, look nice enough but never stopped off. Hardley Flood good for birds if they fancy a walk here.
Not sure about the Cantley Cock, but that always looks busy on a Sunday. The Reedcutters didn't look so great.
Anyway, bit of a mixed bag but nothing to avoid at least!

Cheers,
Jim.

I have to say: the best pub food in the known universe is at the Brick Kilns, Little Plumstead...
Again: it's the other side of the river, but the food is amazing (including vegan and vegetarian) and the portions are HUGE! It's about ten minutes from Strumpshaw Fen / ten minutes from Norwich.
http://www.thebrickkilns.co.uk/
David

If they're staying at Reedham Ferry - either the pub or campsite - they will be on the "right" (ie. northern) side of the Yare, so no long diversion to Little Plumstead or the home Woodford's !!

Chris A.

If they're staying at Reedham Ferry - either the pub or campsite - they will be on the "right" (ie. northern) side of the Yare, so no long diversion to Little Plumstead or the home Woodford's !!

Chris A.
You are absolutely correct. For some reason I read it as Surlingham Ferry. I think I need new glasses, a holiday or a pint of Wherry!

Ron

Hi Lightthiscandle and all other Norfolk birders,

We live at Aylesbury, Bucks, almost as far from any cost you can get in the UK.

I have been lurking in the background for the last few weeks as my wife and I are coming to Wroxham to stay at a riverside cottage for a weeks holiday to celibate my 65th and retirement ( no more work - only birding).

Looked at the Brick Kilns web site and it looks just the place for a good meal, thanks for that info.

While we are at Wroxham we plan to visit Ranworth Broad, Hickling and Cley Marshes to do some birding can anybody suggest better places then those ?

Thanks to you all for a friendly forum, we are looking forward to visiting Norfolk.

I have been lurking in the background for the last few weeks as my wife and I are coming to Wroxham to stay at a riverside cottage for a weeks holiday to celibate my 65th and retirement ( no more work - only birding).

While we are at Wroxham we plan to visit Ranworth Broad, Hickling and Cley Marshes to do some birding can anybody suggest better places then those ?

Hi John,
Firstly, congratulations on retiring.
Other areas I would suggest for birding are as follows:

• Strumpshaw Fen,
    Buckenham Marshes,
    Burnham Overy marshes,
    Burnham Norton Marshes,
    Titchwell,
    Holme

These are just a few of the places you can explore.
Hope you have a great visit.
Oli

John's Norfolk visit

Firstly: I'll echo Oli's comments: I retired at 57 after 35 years of teaching & lecturing and life has NEVER been sweeter! Enjoy!
Secondly (and sorry Oli!) Buckenham is a bit dead in June / July: Strump can still be fun, with guaranteed Buzzards / Marsh Harriers / Cettis and the chance of Kingfisher, Hobby etc...
Hickling (if you time it right!) is good for Cranes, but the north coast is always worth a drive out: Cley / Salthouse generally have something, even if it's just a crab salad at the Dun Cow!
If you fancy meeting up, I'm generally free midweek!

Linnets.

Still trying to get to grips with postings. I will not know if I am doing this right until I post.

Thanks for your replies about Linnets. A sense of relief, thought they might be in decline.

Linnets.

Still trying to get to grips with postings. I will not know if I am doing this right until I post.

Thanks for your replies about Linnets. A sense of relief, thought they might be in decline.

Although it is good to hear that people are still recording good numbers of Linnets, I still think there has been a decline in their numbers and are possibly being seen in fewer places. They are a very gregarious bird and will flock where they are found, I just think there are fewer flocks than 10, 20 + years ago.

We are so lucky here at Birdforum. I have a friend who is a bike enthusiast and regularly posts on website called Bikeforum, or something along those lines, full details evade me at the moment unfortunately. Anyway, some of his post regarding major bike issues have been deleted recently. Nothing offence, just pure love for the bikes and a eagerness to bring certain problems closer to home, and rightly so in my opinion considering the severity of the situation. But certain tyrannical members of this organisation have seen it fit to silence these matter of importance, without even the decency of an excuse I might add.
This outrageous decapitation of human rights got me thinking about how lucky we here at Birdforum are. I mean, could you imagine that sort of behaviour here from our moderators? It would be hard to fathom, surely?
Let me be the first to congratulate us for living in the land of freedom.

View attachment 390292

You are free, to do as we tell you.

Kindest Regards

Kieran JR Nixon

Crikey, this bikeforum place sounds awful Kieran. An important issue too, on a par with, say, Asian dictators ;). But seriously, I hope your friend fights for his right to post!
I read an article yesterday about someone who played civ ii for 10 years, and his gaming experience now mirrors Orwells 1984. Stuff just got real, man.
Perhaps a more pressing issue is the absence of our little Linnet. Although not ideal habitat, they are far from common at Surlingham. Some interesting information, as always, from Tideliner.
Speaking of a decline, informative piece in BB this month about Lesser Pecker. Without divulging sites on a public forum, has anyone managed birds on territory this year? I have drawn a blank.
Regards,
Jim.

Although it is good to hear that people are still recording good numbers of Linnets, I still think there has been a decline in their numbers and are possibly being seen in fewer places. They are a very gregarious bird and will flock where they are found, I just think there are fewer flocks than 10, 20 + years ago.

http://www.bto.org/about-birds/bird-of-month/linnet shows some interesting results from the atlas.

While still widespread Linnets like most farmland birds less about that I used to see a decade ago.

I know of one pair of Lesser spotted woodpeckers this spring. They seem to be absent from many sites that used to hold them. Localy great spots are not having a great year ether which might be the reason for the lessers moving into what used to be a firm Gt spot wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back