• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (13 Viewers)

I wonder how many of the angry young urban guerillas on here actually do any birding! LOL!

I've been birding solidly for the last 3 days. Sadly not a great deal to show for it so far. Stuart White and Joe Cockram had all the "decent" birds on the point yesterday, though the company of Johny, Joe, James McC and Peter Dolton was most enjoyable.

Last edited:
No mention of the Cley Baltic Gull?

I think it was reported after dark, so most members of the forum wouldn't have seen it. Hopefully a picture will appear on the Birding World Cley gallery at some point. Birds showing characteristics of Baltic Gulls have been reported at Cley in summer 2009 and 2011 as well, but nothing will be accepted unless it was ringed as a pullus in the right area. All of the records have been in the evening - I would guess they have spent the day at Edgefield rubbish tip nearby then come to Cley late evening.

Absolutely ... after all there is enough politics in conservation without having to think of the horror of the majority of protestant unionists in NI having to wake up daily to see the instigator of murder McGuiness rewarded as deputy first minister (at least Sands is best known for choosing to end his own life - a luxury that the IRA's victims didn't have). Or maybe I haven't taken enough "top gear" to see the "truth" (and - if true - what a great thing to brag about in front of other young birders).

Chris A.

Chris,

Lets get one thing straight, I did not start this war of words, that was done by Wolfphotos and his comments about Sands. I have only answered people who have made comments first, off their own back.

You are a hypocrite, of that there is no doubt in my mind. You are moaning about the political route the thread has taken over the last few days, but instead of coming out with something cooling and intelligent like D.Martin, you wade in banging on about the IRA (who I said in the first place I do not fully condone) and Martin McGuiness' current position in NI as first minister. So you discredit the course of topic and then add to it by making aggravating statements and then question my personal habits.

Don't get me wrong, your perfectly entitled to your own opinion on the subject and me. But, you have severely contradicted yourself.

As for your 'Top Gear' comments and it's influence on young birders. Shall I tell you what certain substances did for me? At the age of about 20 I could barely write, I had next to no education and slept on a pile of my on washing in a flat I shared with an Alcoholic, a keyboard player in a Pink Floyd tribute band, my best friend and several rats. My experimenting with certain 'things' at that time opened my eyes and mind to conscious music, I started to pay closer attention to the world around me, I started to read for the first time in my life and learn to write. In a nutshell, Chris, I bettered myself because my mind was free. With this new found mind I got a better job, got my own clean place to live, met a wonderful women who I am soon to marry. Moved away from that town and now have a lovely little house in a beautiful county that allows me to exercise my new found love of the natural world.

You ever taken a pill for anything in your life, Chris? Did it make you feel better, help you out? Don't think because your doctor and government say its 'all good' and some pharmaceutical company makes a nice buck of it, it is. It's no different to what I have done in the past, except for one thing. Some Eaton educated war criminal in a £3,000 suit who has never lived a day in the real world says it isn't. And before you get me wrong, I am not condoning Crack, heroine and drug pushers. All though all they are, are small time, non taxable versions of Alcohol, cigarettes and politicians.

Chris' comments have forced this reply, thus diverting the thread even further of the track of birds, something he stands against. What a clever man.

Yours faithfully,

Kieran

Sands (But not Bobby!)

Strumpshaw was alive with Sandpipers this am: Green, Wood & Common...
Also, 1000+ Peacocks, loads of other butterflies and some good dragons / damsels (See appropriate section!)
Take your point, Oliver: although, in fact I do work! I'm in my office from 5.00am until mid-morning, take a 5 or 10 mile trot around the patch, then home to the office until 10pm (Except tonight: I'm playing guitar at a local club!)
The joys of being self-employed!

Attachments

• Common Sand.jpg
    Common Sand.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Green & Common.jpg
    Green & Common.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Green Sand2.jpg
    Green Sand2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 90
Strumpshaw was alive with Sandpipers this am: Green, Wood & Common...
Also, 1000+ Peacocks, loads of other butterflies and some good dragons / damsels (See appropriate section!)
Take your point, Oliver: although, in fact I do work! I'm in my office from 5.00am until mid-morning, take a 5 or 10 mile trot around the patch, then home to the office until 10pm (Except tonight: I'm playing guitar at a local club!)
The joys of being self-employed!

Good list from Strumpshaw!
Comment intended to be taken with humour, know a lot of birders that work but find the time to visit a patch etc.
Have to limit my visits to every evening currently but it can be done.

What will probably be the local highlight of the year occured today when a lovely little Pied Flycatcher hopped onto a Hempnall garden fence right in front of me. It looked at me curiously, cocked its tail twice, flew across to the fence on the other side of the road, cocked its tail again, flew up to land on a telegraph wire, still watching me all the time, and finally, it flew into some mature oaks and that was the last I saw of it despite going back later, armed with bins to try to see it again. Not seeing it again just made me realise how lucky I was to see it in the first place. As our old friend Josh who's now living down in Brighton used to say - I didn't find it - it found me! A new and delightful species for the post round and local list.

Titchwell August 16th

Today’s highlights

Spoonbill – 19 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 7 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 4 on fresh marsh
Eider – 5 offshore

Paul

What will probably be the local highlight of the year occured today when a lovely little Pied Flycatcher hopped onto a Hempnall garden fence right in front of me. It looked at me curiously, cocked its tail twice, flew across to the fence on the other side of the road, cocked its tail again, flew up to land on a telegraph wire, still watching me all the time, and finally, it flew into some mature oaks and that was the last I saw of it despite going back later, armed with bins to try to see it again. Not seeing it again just made me realise how lucky I was to see it in the first place. As our old friend Josh who's now living down in Brighton used to say - I didn't find it - it found me! A new and delightful species for the post round and local list.

A super inland find!
Makes me wonder if I have missed anything round Surlingham way over the last week.

Been on holiday and therefore posting on the Northumberland thread......you don't get the politics on there!
Kieran- some great stuff on your blog about a putative hybrid Tern (I left a comment to suggest as such).......more of that on here please! Will at least appease the masses ;)

Cheers,
Jim.

The strong winds yesterday evening bought this group of Little Egret together at Stiffkey Fen, with 18 being the final count.

Attachments

• 386930_10152017348770707_221142550_n.jpg
    386930_10152017348770707_221142550_n.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 121

Users who are viewing this thread

Back