• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (5 Viewers)

Can anyone tell me what the roads are like for driving at the moment or should be like at the weekend for getting about between sites, Titchwell, Holme, Cley etc?

Considering a weekend away, but not if driving is too hazardous.

thanks

obm

Can anyone tell me what the roads are like for driving at the moment or should be like at the weekend for getting about between sites, Titchwell, Holme, Cley etc?

thanks

obm

In the broads the main A roads are fine, mostly clear with some slush remaining, however minor B roads not very good! Covered in compacted snow which is frozen, more snow is forecast for tomorrow afternoon in to Saturday morning (up to 6 inches) and if the chaos caused here on Tuesday is anything to go by you will be stuck in traffic jams most of the time!! I'm not sure if North Norfolk is as bad as the broads but they have had more snow than here to the East of Norwich so I would presume it is the same, if not worse. A slight thaw today but very slight!

Fantastic set of photos Oliver and cropped well - your best yet:t: New camera?

Penny:girl:

Thanks Penny. Currently using a 60D with 400 f5.6. Really enjoying using them.
Picture number 3 of North hide was actually taken on a Panasonic LX1 which cost me £25 on ebay! Really been pleased with the results its giving for the price paid.

All latest photos on http://www.flickr.com/photos/oreville1989/

Cheers

thanks

obm

The A149 through Titchwell is clear if not dry. North and west of Fakenham seems pretty much OK right now. uPVC door engineer did King's Lynn to Brancaster in 35 minutes (twice! don't ask). A trip to Norwich (unavoidable) yesterday morning was tricky (20-30mph) from Fakenham to Norwich along the A1067 due to compacted snow and temperatures down to -14C - sounded like driving on a corrugated roof. Local back roads have been ploughed by local farms under council contract but not gritted so 4x4 is best.

News on the forecast Friday blizzard to follow, at the risk of turning this into the weather channel.

Alan

I am waiting for news on the weather to dictate whether I have another days birding up here tomorrow or cut my loses and go home early tomorrow morning.
A couple of websites I usually use,met check & xc weather suggest a reasonable dump of snow tonight although one leans towards sleet more and both say snow tomorrow,the last time I heckled the bbc that didn't seem too bad until tomorrow afternoon

Titchwell January 17th

Today’s highlights

Lapland bunting – 1 on saltmarsh by beach boardwalk
Snow bunting – 30 on saltmarsh by beach boardwalk
Goldeneye – 40 offshore
Velvet scoter – 1 offshore
Greenshank – 1 on volunteer marsh
Spotted redshank – 2 on volunteer marsh
Hen harrier – ringtail over reedbed to roost

Paul

Bitterns

Whitlingham Great Broad mid pm

For those without access to the news services, 2 Bitterns have been reported from Whitlingham CP on north side west of island.
Cheers,
Jim.

I have a photo of one of them that I'll post when I get home. Three of us were watching one as a second one flew in!

The lane was frozen but not to treacherous for driving.
Cheers

Strumpshaw is completely frozen at the moment so I guess they could be some of 'our' birds relocating. Jim, as you say the Bittern population here in the broads dramatically by continental migrants (at least doubled!)

Thanks for the info.

With bins only I soon found a bittern opposite the visitor centre car park. Better views in another birder's scope.
Probable second bird further east towards the Conservation Area.

Failed to find a shag with the cormorants or a green winged teal with the common ones east of the island. (Odds of either slim!)
One or two active herons by the island until at 320pm I picked up a bird heading west at tree top height, crossing the east end of the Great Broad. The bird then flew over the island and conservation area and past Thorpe church along the river. It was a bittern!

Hi Norfolk Birders,
I see that there are photos of the Cockshoot Broad 'Ferruginous Duck' from 6 Jan 13 on the RBA Gallery.
http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/RealData/gallery.asp?level=4
This is obviously not a Ferruginous Duck, but one of the hybrid birds that was around last winter.
Bird hard!

Agreed, dodgy hybrid.
Didn't fancy a trip down there in this bad weather for a late reported, supposed, "fudge" duck, given the hybrid situation, and went to Whitlingham instead!

For starters, shirley a drake fudge duck should have a pale iris ?

Don't call me Shirley call me Ginger!

Initial thoughts are of pochard influence here.
The number of drake pochards wintering in Norfolk often exceeds the number of females - who prefer the warmer climes of France.....
(Welney drakes greatly outnumber the 'ducks', for example)

Last edited:
Whitlingham at close of play today and just caught one of the two bitterns and some overhead bewick swans. Also close to the bittern a female scaup unless anyone has seen a similar hybrid or confused female tuftie?

Anybody hear Chris Skinner from High Ash Farm on Radio Norfolk this morning? I think he said that they have a flock of 9000 Linnets, Yellowhammers and Bramblings right next to the public access paths.

Ron

With both stretches of freshwater viewable from my window now completely frozen, and mostly covered with snow, my only prospects are to look out to sea.

The drake Eider from #19025 returned late yesterday and is currently on view.

A Meadow Pipit flew over, squeakily lamenting the lack of somewhere to rest its weary wings.

Why so unambitious - or are you afraid of making a "spectacle" of yourself ?!

Unfortunately, nothing more spectacular to offer.

Attachments

• 005pse.jpg
    005pse.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 145

Users who are viewing this thread

Back