• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (1 Viewer)

I do not usualy take a camera around with me , but for once I regreted it this morning. A classic - barn owl perched on the raptor watchpoint sign at Swanton Novers. Stacks of common buzzards about a scattering of other raptors, but very little else. The lack of small birds it starting to get a bit worrying. I hopwe they are still in the local gardens.

Last edited:
I do not usualy take a camera around with me , but for once I regreted it this morning. A classic - barn owl perched on the raptor watchpoint sign at Swanton Novers.

Would have made some good promotional material!!

2 non-calling Chiffchaff today, feeling like local birds moving around rather than new arrivals. Also 3 White Wagtails with a small group of Pieds giving hope of further 'arrivals'. My first Red Kite for the 'new' patch was presumably another wonderer, but waders remained the same: I summer and 1 winter bird!

Last edited:
Had my first Wheatear of the year at South Beach, Heacham along with a nice selection of birds throughout the day and ending with the Great Grey Shrike at Egmere.

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Tuesday 2nd April, 7.55am, 0 degrees centigrade, light NE winds, no cloud cover:
One brave Chiffchaff singing, presumably realising that it should have been doing this for weeks now! 8.20am second bird attempts a bit of song, but possibly realising the futility of its actions, quickly stops.

Gipsy Lane, Titchwell

Further to my earlier post where the closure was less obstructive and more informative, the path is now properly closed at both ends. More news as it happens!

Alan

Titchwell April 2nd

Today’s highlights

Red crested pochard – pair and single female on Patsy’s reedbed
Woodcock – 3 in scrub near visitor centre
Little ringed plover – 1 on fresh marsh
Hen harrier – 1 over grazing meadow mid-afternoon
Long tailed duck – female on fresh marsh
Cettis warbler – 4 males singing in reedbed
Marsh harrier – 3 displaying males over reedbed

Paul

Spring truly boings

Ludicrously, some people have been angry about Penny’s foolish owler yesterday; although I haven’t seen or heard any arch comments, following the posting of her photo of ‘the facilities’ on Sheringham sea front.

The Snowbie continues to delight at Salthouse. Several Reed Buntings adorned the bushes at Gramboro’ and a Song Thrush was very furtive there.

Walsey Hills contributed my first butterfly since January (!): most of a lethargic, faded Small Tortoiseshell. Two Ladybirds were soaking up the sun, too.

Attachments

• 140pse.jpg
    140pse.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 033pse.jpg
    033pse.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 277pse.jpg
    277pse.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 280pse.jpg
    280pse.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 285pse.jpg
    285pse.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 44
GGS at Egmere (Sunday)

A couple of my photos from Sunday, after being patient the bird came within a resonable distance, just a shame the light was rubbish!

Attachments

• Great Grey Shrike, Egmere, 2013-03-31(1).jpg
    Great Grey Shrike, Egmere, 2013-03-31(1).jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Great Grey Shrike, Egmere, 2013-03-31(3).jpg
    Great Grey Shrike, Egmere, 2013-03-31(3).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Ludicrously, some people have been angry about Penny’s foolish owler yesterday; although I haven’t seen or heard any arch comments, following the posting of her photo of ‘the facilities’ on Sheringham sea front.

The Snowbie continues to delight at Salthouse. Several Reed Buntings adorned the bushes at Gramboro’ and a Song Thrush was very furtive there.

Walsey Hills contributed my first butterfly since January (!): most of a lethargic, faded Small Tortoiseshell. Two Ladybirds were soaking up the sun, too.

Hi, hoping to get over tomorrow, only been once before, is the Snowbunting best hunted for from the Beach Road Car Park ?

Any one know if the Purple Sand or Spoonbill is still at Cley also ?

Cheers

Purple Sand still on pool in Eye Field this a.m. Look from road just S of car park ticket kiosk/shed/hut.

Snow Bunting: either from car, at E side of Salthouse Beach car park, or on foot. Can almost be walked up to, if your movements are surreptitiously slow. It does go missing, from time to time; probably gets fed up with dog-people, fish-people and ramblers.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Playhouse Waxwing's

A couple of shots from Monday morning. Unfortunately they remaind high in the trees so only belly shots could be obtained :-C The 2nd shot is to illustrate how hard it was to get a final count on them, I can see 25 in the photo but lost count at 30 when they flew off over the art school buildings.

Attachments

• Waxwing, Norwich, 2013-04-01.jpg
    Waxwing, Norwich, 2013-04-01.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Waxwings, Norwich, 2013-04-01.jpg
    Waxwings, Norwich, 2013-04-01.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 73
Pied Wagtail roost Norwich

If anyone is interested, the Pied Wagtail roost in Norwich at Riverside Road/Prince of Wales road junction was very impressive on Saturday night at 18:20 GMT; I lost cout at around 150 with birds decending in to what I think is a large Laburnum shrub (I could be wrong!!).

Birds were coming in off the roof from the Hotel Nelson and from the train station, in fact from any roof top in the vacinity!! Fascinating to watch as they jostled for postions and the volume was incredible! I was also plesently surprised by the number of the public who stopped to watch the activity!

Ten minutes later it was all over with not a sound coming out of the bush.

Purple Sand still on pool in Eye Field this a.m. Look from road just S of car park ticket kiosk/shed/hut.

Snow Bunting: either from car, at E side of Salthouse Beach car park, or on foot. Can almost be walked up to, if your movements are surreptitiously slow. It does go missing, from time to time; probably gets fed up with dog-people, fish-people and ramblers.

Good luck.

many thanks :t:

Hi, hoping to get over tomorrow, only been once before, is the Snowbunting best hunted for from the Beach Road Car Park ?

Any one know if the Purple Sand or Spoonbill is still at Cley also ?

Cheers

If you would like a better view of Purple Sandpipers, go to Sea Palling! Upwards of 7 birds present. The attached photo was taken on the 24th March.

Attachments

• Purple Sandpiper, Sea Palling, 2013-03-24.jpg
    Purple Sandpiper, Sea Palling, 2013-03-24.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 77
A couple of shots from Monday morning. Unfortunately they remaind high in the trees so only belly shots could be obtained :-C The 2nd shot is to illustrate how hard it was to get a final count on them, I can see 25 in the photo but lost count at 30 when they flew off over the art school buildings.

Hi Bilvo, do you mind to share the location of where did you saw them today?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back