• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (6 Viewers)

Matt
what access details would you suggest as the grid ref and directions on the pager are from the north (as for the south path are you talking about the path that leads east from the hall?)
David

Matt
what access details would you suggest as the grid ref and directions on the pager are from the north (as for the south path are you talking about the path that leads east from the hall?)
David

Hi David

See map for access details to the south side of the common, parking will be somewhat limited around the green lane near the Hall though.

Hope this helps

Matt

Attachments

• gam_ordsvywat-sun-17148585248967.png
    gam_ordsvywat-sun-17148585248967.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 170
Hybrid drake green winged x common teal still present at Salthouse this afternoon showing very well on the small pools around the bunting feeding site.
8 lapland buntings in stubble fields just south of the seawall between Thornham and Holme on Saturday afternoon.

Paul

Started the day off by watching an intriguingly dark coloured barn owl hunting on a local common with a friend today, the bird being on our local patch for the past two months or so but only recently decided to call in for a second opinion on it...
Matt

Good call Matt! :t:

I agree. Very nice bird to find, especially so far inland.

Tried and failed for LS Woodies again in Holkham Park today. I'm told that the harder you try to spot them, the less likely it is that I will! I think next time I'll just wander around aimlessly. I'm thinking that way one is almost certain to land right in my face! Calling Nuthatches, GS Woodpeckers and LT Tits always make a wander through the woods more than pleasent enough though.

The Wareham raptor roost produced 4 Hen Harriers; 3 seperate female-types and a lovely male. As usual, it was tricky to keep track of each bird so there may be more. Also one fem Marsh Harrier, a Barn Owl and a rather fierce shower, followed up by a rainbow. Nothing better than that kind of weather when your out in the coastal 'wilderness'

Hen Harrier upped the year list to 121, if anyone gives a s**t ;).

Jason

Last edited:
Will that Barn Owl be a big enough draw to buy a new roof for Wacton Hall when word gets out?

Edit. Or Matt's driving lessons?

Ron

Last edited:
Haha. We cant be letting Matt learn to drive, he's our main (and one of many) public transport patron on this thread! Him and the other cyclists on here are the only things that get me out on the bike (and rarely on the bus) for birding!

;)

Jason

Haha. We cant be letting Matt learn to drive, he's our main (and one of many) public transport patron on this thread! Him and the other cyclists on here are the only things that get me out on the bike (and rarely on the bus) for birding!

;)

Jason
All right, a new pump or saddle then. I think Matt should invest in a bucket anyway.

Ron

amazing the difference a pager message makes...;) :king:

no one seemed remotely bothered about the Ludham bird aside from Pom Skua.

Paul, can you briefly describe your GW Teal Hybrid as myself an Ilya saw a bird at the weekend that we considered might have been a hybrid

cheers

Last edited:

;)

Jason

No need for public transport or bikes tonight Jason!!

I live just ten minutes walk down the lane:smoke:

Matt

Hi Tim,

Is the Ludham DB Barn Owl still about? If so, where's the best place to view? Near the bridge?

I'm seeing my kids tonight in Martham and will try for the bird if it's still in the area. I would've done so sooner but got the impression it had moved on.

Chris

Hi Chris

Unfotuntately it moved on in early January.

Hopefully the bird in Long Stratton will hang around. I still don't really know what these birds are or if they're within the variation of dark female Hens. Nice to see mind. Not sure how many Norfolk birds have occurred inland though...

A few more pics from the weekend:

Regards

Jo.

Attachments

• 2243010454_909406784d.jpg
    2243010454_909406784d.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 2243010030_f9855a0c72.jpg
    2243010030_f9855a0c72.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 2242216807_0c790478cf.jpg
    2242216807_0c790478cf.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 2242179267_2b52ce7915.jpg
    2242179267_2b52ce7915.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 115
  • 2242994776_70539618f6.jpg
    2242994776_70539618f6.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 80
Hi Sue, was it with a tit flock or on its own?

Hoping to catch up with it one of these days...

Connor

Hi Connor
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
I was virtually down by the lakeside not far from the obviously huge broken tree stump. There were other birds around (Nuthatch, Chaffinch and a Brambling) but I think it was only a loose association. The easiest time to see them is late February/ early March when they are drumming just before leaf burst. Early to mid-morning on a bright still sunny day is best. You just have to be patient and put the time in on a good day. It usually takes me 5 or 6 visits before I am successful.
Sue;)

1 close Peregrine, 3 Marsh Harriers and a Barn Owl over Blakeney Freshes this morning. Also 104 Black Tailed Godwits, with about 50% being 1st winters and a couple with Islandica juv. plumage still retained. I'd imagine a lot of the other fully winter plumaged birds in the flock were of the Islandic race as well. One colour ringed. Also 2 Short Eared Owls on the point.

My owl 'spot' didn't reveal any LEO's, but did have a Tawny chasing a Barn Owl in the dusk. Also 2 Woodcocks, 2 Snipe and one hell of a storm. Lightning and everything!

Jason

Tim
just saw your post about the teal hybrid.
There is a picture on the cley website of a possible hybrid, presumably the bird Paul saw Hopefully he can confirm.
David

Dave Farrow has posted some pics of the D-b Barn Owl (L Stratton) on RBA

nice pix of a very attractive bird - in one pic the bird looks like a bit like a Bay Owl.

Rural - thanks for the Teal link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back