• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (15 Viewers)

Sadly the youngest of the Peregrine chicks on Norwich Cathedral spire died last night (it appeared to have been struggling for some time.) On a brighter note the two remaining chicks look very healthy and due to fledge anytime soon, a welcome addition to Norfolk's Peregrine population.

Ron

Good news on the two peregrine chicks!
Look forward to seeing them whizzing over the house soon!
Had a great evening last night at the patch- a nice low flying cuckoo and a single LRP on the scrape along with a reeling Grasshopper Warbler out in the open( first time had views like this of this bird) but my favourite was a hunting Barn owl over marshes . This was a patch tick for me and took my total to 94 species over a year and a half so well chuffed . As I was leaving a cettis came out on view which ended the evening off lovely.
I'll have to update blog soon with a nice picture of a grasshopper Warbler.
Happy birding ,
Shaky

Difficult to see what's what really but looks like a Thornback Ray.

Phil

Looks like it could well be, I wonder how it made it over the dunes and 250m from the sea! I cant find anything else that looks close though. Edit- looking at more pics yes this does look like a thornback ray, thanks Phil, mystery solved!

PS shame about the peregrine chick, I looked earlier and could have sworn there was just one chick in the nest, has the larger one been on a bit of a practice flight? I see there are two in there now.

Last edited:
Titchwell June 10th

Today’s highlights

Curlew sandpiper – 2 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 1 on fresh marsh
Little gull – 29 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard – drake on fresh marsh
Med gull – 6 (3 pairs) west during the day
Ringed plover – 76 roosting at Thornham Point
(Barnacle goose - 2 on fresh marsh mid morning then flew east)

Paul

Spot flys and Orioles

If you want to photograph spotted flycatcher, weeting is a good place to go at the minute there is an absolute poser on the reserve. Just over the border I had some of my best ever views of Golden Oriole in this country. The male sat in a dead tree singing for several minutes and was then joined by the female. Awesome

Attachments

• IMG_1913a.jpg
    IMG_1913a.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_1962.JPG
    IMG_1962.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1963.JPG
    IMG_1963.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1964.JPG
    IMG_1964.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 134
Spot flys and Orioles

If you want to photograph spotted flycatcher, weeting is a good place to go at the minute there is an absolute poser on the reserve. Just over the border I had some of my best ever views of Golden Oriole in this country. The male sat in a dead tree singing for several minutes and was then joined by the female. Awesome
Fantastic picture of the oriole buddy! I've only had rare glimpses . Think I had all of 5 seconds of one last year so maybe a trip there soon would be rewarding!
Shaky

A trip to Cley to see the Black-winged Stilt took an unexpected turn when news of the Black Guillemot broke just before I got to Holt. A quick detour to the Beach car park and a short walk to the west gave me my first Black Guillemot for Norfolk! (Although I'd seen one on Thursday on Mull!). Dodgy record shots below.

Managed a few flight views of the Stilt too.

Attachments

• BG1.JPG
    BG1.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 172
  • BG2.JPG
    BG2.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 201
  • BG3.JPG
    BG3.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 139
I had to walk as far as 'Long' Hills to see the Black Guillemot!!!! So carried on and walked to 'The Plantation'!!!

Short-eared Owl, Barn Owl and Spoonbill seen from Dauke's Hide NWT later this evening.

Only just home.

Full update on blog.

Fabulous pictures Stuart and Chris!:t:

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
ID opinion needed, Thorpe Marshes

I took a very early morning stoll (4.30 am) around Thorpe Marshes and encounted a Warbler like bird singing melodicly in a Tree adjacent to the Cattle Pen path.

Very similar to a Reed Warbler but my impression was that it was whiter below and sounded not at all like one. Slightly puzzled by this I took a photograph with the only camera I had available, a Cannon Sureshot. As you can see it's a pretty crappy photograph and not very conclusive.

Could it have been a Marsh Warbler? Have any been recorded at Thorpe Marshes?

Attachments

• IMG_1609.JPG
    IMG_1609.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 252
I took a very early morning stoll (4.30 am) around Thorpe Marshes and encounted a Warbler like bird singing melodicly in a Tree adjacent to the Cattle Pen path.

Very similar to a Reed Warbler but my impression was that it was whiter below and sounded not at all like one. Slightly puzzled by this I took a photograph with the only camera I had available, a Cannon Sureshot. As you can see it's a pretty crappy photograph and not very conclusive.

Could it have been a Marsh Warbler? Have any been recorded at Thorpe Marshes?

There was a Garden Warbler there early evening which was not singing like a it should have done , I was listening to it with a young man called Dan , it took along time to ID it , it was mimicking Reed Warbler & Thrush's & was near the cattle pen

Hello Paul, I'm not sure about records of Marsh Warbler from Thorpe, its a rare breeding bird in Norfolk so any singing in suitable habitat at this time of the year are generally kept quiet in case there is breeding activity. I was down at Thorpe and met Pete (Hasset) yesterday afternoon and located a Garden Warbler doing impressive vocalisations of several species, perhaps this was the bird you saw? The image cannot be blown up so I cant comment further on its identity.

Spot flys and Orioles

Cracking photos. Looks like a trip to Weeting is on the cards, was the spot fly near one of the hides?

Hello Paul, I'm not sure about records of Marsh Warbler from Thorpe, its a rare breeding bird in Norfolk so any singing in suitable habitat at this time of the year are generally kept quiet in case there is breeding activity. I was down at Thorpe and met Pete (Hasset) yesterday afternoon and located a Garden Warbler doing impressive vocalisations of several species, perhaps this was the bird you saw? The image cannot be blown up so I cant comment further on its identity.

Hi Daniel and Pete. Many thanks for the replys on this subject. The Garden Warbler doing unusual vocalisations is far more plausable than any suggestion that this may have been a Marsh Warbler.

I'm working on my ID skills after returning to bird watching after twenty something years. One can get carried away sometimes!

Best Regards Paul

Last edited:
Couple of photos from 19th May of the posing Spotted Flycatcher at Blakeney Point. More on blog here. I will be adding photos to all posts that should have them over the next few weeks, now I have sorted out the space issue on my Mac!

Penny:girl:

Attachments

• IMG_8120-crop.jpg
    IMG_8120-crop.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_8149-crop.jpg
    IMG_8149-crop.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back