• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (27 Viewers)

4 Red Kites, as many hobby, Corn Bunting and a nice selection of waders today with Pete. More on the blog + some orchid pics from the last few days

Haha, what is the story behind this?

I'm not sure, the bird was only recently fledged when it first started behaving strangely and over the last couple of weeks it's got bolder and bolder ! It appeared from nowhere when a cereal bar appeared !

Attachments

• IMG_2021a.jpg
    IMG_2021a.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2026a.jpg
    IMG_2026a.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 205
Had the very nice man from PACT in to give an assembly to 800 teenage kids at school. He had them in absolute raptures from start to finish. Only time I've ever seen that in my career. Will be taking them to visit the sanctuary. Good work animal rescue fella.

BirdBeard

Off topic

Does anyone know what this insect is? It looks like a small wasp, ca. 4mm long. The colours were amazingly bright.

It was in my garden yesterday.

Attachments

• Wasp 120629 IMG_6899.jpg
    Wasp 120629 IMG_6899.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 171
Red-veined Darter

A number of Red-veined Darters (at least 6) at Kelling Water Meadows. Feeding at the shallow water at the north side of the lake, about 30 yds past the gates. Also coming down onto the path.

John

Attachments

• BU2H0464.jpg
    BU2H0464.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 183
  • BU2H0447.jpg
    BU2H0447.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 168
Enjoyable afternoon with JDP and Pete Hassett, with 15+ Green sand at Cantley BF (as well as 2 recently fledged MH and Cuckoo), and young avocet and lapwing at Buckenham. Of interest to some is a leucistic starling in with the flock at Bucks, this was visable at about 1km range!
Also noted were Black tailed skimmer and several butterflies, including small skipper.

A number of Red-veined Darters (at least 6) at Kelling Water Meadows. Feeding at the shallow water at the north side of the lake, about 30 yds past the gates. Also coming down onto the path.

John

Lovely photos John, Wish I had been in the county today to see these.
Always tomorrow! Possibly....

Sculthorpe Moore - 4 Black-tailed Skimmers, Southern Hawker. No phone signal at Sculthorpe reserve until I got back to the carpark to find that at 3.27pm a message had been added to RBA about a Squacco Heron at Welney - had I seen that message I would have made it. Even more annoying both Pete S. and Eddie M. didn't get that message on their pagers as they were out of range, if they had, they would have text me on my other phone! Working all tomorrow:-C

Hobby over Titchwell RSPB at 8.15pm, 2 common terns and a fox.

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
I am used to seeing Mistle Thrushes in ones or twos but at Strumpshaw today I was pleased to find a flock of at least 15 in a paddock beside the Buckenham road (on the LH side just past the gate out of the reserve.) As usual there was also a small flock of mobile Linnets near Buckenham station.

Ron

I am used to seeing Mistle Thrushes in ones or twos but at Strumpshaw today I was pleased to find a flock of at least 15 in a paddock beside the Buckenham road (on the LH side just past the gate out of the reserve.) As usual there was also a small flock of mobile Linnets near Buckenham station.

Ron

The Mistle Thrushes were there yesterday evening aswell

I thought I was going Cuckoo !

This young bird perched most conveniently for me this morning, at Blakeney- even to the extent of adjusting its pose on the gate.

Rarely have I seen one so well.

Attachments

• 089pse.jpg
    089pse.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 034pse.jpg
    034pse.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 128

Users who are viewing this thread

Back