• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (26 Viewers)

Ruff luck

Please note the size of my mystery on the left of the shot

Paul: the usual confusion species for juvenile Ruff is Buff-breasted Sandpiper. I have known some very good birders get this wrong.

It’s good to be different !

As others have said, there is considerable size variation.

I would, Pat, but I don’t have a photo of your parents !

I now recall an interesting comment made by one of the dog-walkers, who’d been puzzled over the ID of the Barwit on Thursday. She said that the whole area (Salthouse Beach car park to Gramboro’) was ‘a disgrace’- describing the degree of doggie doo-doo downloaded and not directly disposed of by the more responsible dog-owners.

A local birder was more succinct: “It’s like a minefield around here!” It’s just as well the ‘objects’ do not explode.
Very witty as always john. I here Les Dawson is lööking for a new script writer;)

Rb fly there in the afternoon. Adult male. V.nice. Not my find though :(

It appears I did not search far enough for one!

Glad my Barred was relocated in the Lupins later in the afternoon. I feared the amount of 'forceful pushing around' I did to try and get a view on the deck may have scared it off (an inevitable part of bird finding in the sueda!)

Just because it is such a gripping bird in Norfolk these days .... here are some shots of yesterday's Ortolan on Blakeney Point.
Record shots taken on my phone - hence poor quality

Attachments

• Ortolan1.JPG
    Ortolan1.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 240
  • Ortolan2.JPG
    Ortolan2.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 145
I spoiled it !

It was my fault: praying yesterday that today be contrapuntally massive. Many of the arrivals (especially the Phylloscs, seemed to have departed, only to be replaced with birds indicative of winter.

At Gramboro’, Blue Tit was new (?) and, possibly, Robin- although I did see one in the car park yesterday. This flew under a car, I crouched to locate it, discovering its absence.

Wells Woods did not even provide an audible Yellow-browed for me today. More Siskins called than yesterday and a flock of about a dozen Bramblings was the first I’d seen of this species this autumn.

The pager, confusingly, called me to Burnham Overy Staithe, even though the BOOTED WARBLER was more convenient from the off-road parking for The Doons. This (tea-coloured and slightly bedraggled) bird flew back and forward from time to time, occasionally pitching down in the suaeda for micro-seconds, only to be scared into flight again by birders’ clamorously describing its then-immediately-vacated position. I didn’t even bother to get my camera out of its bag.

And then the rain came down. Good song, but a stupid lyric. What’s it supposed to do, go up ?

Attachments

• 007pse.jpg
    007pse.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 61
  • 019pse.jpg
    019pse.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 153
The pager, confusingly, called me to Burnham Overy Staithe, even though the BOOTED WARBLER was more convenient from the off-road parking for The Doons. This (tea-coloured and slightly bedraggled) bird flew back and forward from time to time, occasionally pitching down in the suaeda for micro-seconds, only to be scared into flight again by birders’ clamorously describing its then-immediately-vacated position. I didn’t even bother to get my camera out of its bag.

Not sure I completely agree with that, although there were definitely some numpties there! The bird seemed to take flight when it felt like it. A couple of times it landed very close to me and took off quickly before others clammoured around - humm, just realised that might say something about me, though ;) and Carl mentioned it was doing this before people arrived!

23/9/12

Yellow-browed Warbler, 10 Bramblings, 19 Siskins, Nuthatch, 7 Treecreepers, Redwing Wells Wood. 12 Common Buzzards over Holkham Park. Two Arctic Skuas, Hobby, two Spotted Redshanks Cley.

For information:

Carl Chapman (finder of today's Booted) has started a site for Cetacean news in Norfolk, which can be found here:

http://norfolkcetaceans.wordpress.com/

He would appreciate any sightings and news and the word spread elsewhere, too!
Hi, David and Carl, just thought I'd mention my sighting last year and the ensuing discussion on the forum entitled "Cetacean off Sheringham" from June last year. Apologies for my computer technophobia!!!!!
Regards, Graham

East Hills!!!

I had an hilarious day today. Spent all day on East Hills and only saw four birds: a sparrowhawk, blackbird, wren and a goldcrest.:-O I was hoping for something colourful and possibly yellow!:-C

Full update on blog (short post!;))

A birder told me today that he had seen 2 whinchats and 3 redstarts at Brancaster Golfcourse this morning.

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Not sure I completely agree with that, although there were definitely some numpties there! The bird seemed to take flight when it felt like it.

David: I’m sure it hasn’t escaped your attention that, from time to time, I employ the literary device known as ‘hyperbole’. This was definitely the case, here: no exaggeration.

I did, in fact, see the bird perched once for at least a second- and was unhappily aware that some were viewing it for considerably longer, simultaneously with my incompetence in being unable to see through other birders’ bodies. This is an unfortunate disability on my part and I’ve already contacted Swarovski, with a view to manufacturing optical equipment to counteract this deficiency.

Perhaps you weren’t in earshot (or the shouting of others obscured) my commenting on the unusual behaviour of Carl’s bird, in flying back and forth (NOT up and down); more as if checking out its territory than being booted about. He is to be congratulated on his excellent find.

I feel so sorry for Penny (http://pennyshotbirdingandlife.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/east-hills.html)- although I have experienced several similar disappointments on T’Hills. I recall once going out there and only seeing a possible Chiffchaff.

At least, she was safe and well- if not dry. This is not too serious, as I am led to believe that the human epidermis is waterproof.

Keep your Hawkeyes peeled

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2544984&postcount=848

The above may be of interest.

Anyone in close proximity to a belt of pines, preferably with a clearing and away from continual human disturbance . . .

I have heard of bird-photographers employing mice (not under their own vole-ition), to attract Hawk Owls and as an aid to closer shots. There was no Tom-foolery involved in this instance and this, and other circumstances (e.g. on-site suppression), ‘cost’ me one of these in Denmark.

Another lift wanted request......SORRY!!!!

Possibly surprisingly to some this isn't a lift request for the White's Thrush that's just been MEGA'd on the Farne's ;):-O but rather one for a day out on the North Norfolk coast for tomorrow. Sadly not got access to a car weekdays. I could do it by bus but could have some trouble if something turns up and it limits my time in the field greatly! So if you passing King's Lynn, wanting to lower the fuel costs and willing to take a extra passenger please PM me.

Many thanks,

Robert

Ps hope people don't mind me posting lift request messages on here!

My first post here so excuse any error:
On Saturday over the marshes north of Horsey I saw a marsh harrier with a (what seemed to me excessively large) light blue identification sheet (marked CN) on each wing. Anyone know anything? I don’t know how she felt about it but it looked (*******ing) uncomfortable to me. I have a pretty rubbish pic of it (heavy crop and quite distant) but would be happy to show if anyone's interested.

The day of Eastern promise ?

Sadly, not for me, I’m afraid- unless you count the Fry’s Turkish Delight I consumed after lunch. With tasks to do until about 10h, I then set out for Gramboro’. The sole thrill was a Whitethroat. Various messages and calls told me of loadsa stuff elsewhere, but I maintained my self-discipline (in retrospect, I wish I hadn’t!) and persevered with my cunning plan- to find the ‘big one’. How there can be so many migrants a mile or so away and a solitary Sylvia there is a puzzle.

Walsey provided its ‘resident’ Yellow-browed, thanks to Steve B. 2 male Bramblings also wheezed.

Friary had obviously had an influx of Robins and Song Thrushes, but little else.

Wells Woods gave me my first Redstart of the day. Others had had bloomin’ dozens. How did I not see a Pied Fly ?

And then the rain got so much heavier, it was unfair to bird any more.

Attachments

• 026pse.jpg
    026pse.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 029pse1.jpg
    029pse1.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 063pse.jpg
    063pse.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 127
Sadly, not for me, I’m afraid- unless you count the Fry’s Turkish Delight I consumed after lunch. With tasks to do until about 10h, I then set out for Gramboro’. The sole thrill was a Whitethroat. Various messages and calls told me of loadsa stuff elsewhere, but I maintained my self-discipline (in retrospect, I wish I hadn’t!) and persevered with my cunning plan- to find the ‘big one’. How there can be so many migrants a mile or so away and a solitary Sylvia there is a puzzle.

Walsey provided its ‘resident’ Yellow-browed, thanks to Steve B. 2 male Bramblings also wheezed.

Friary had obviously had an influx of Robins and Song Thrushes, but little else.

Wells Woods gave me my first Redstart of the day. Others had had bloomin’ dozens. How did I not see a Pied Fly ?

And then the rain got so much heavier, it was unfair to bird any more.

Hi John

Same problem between Horsey and Winterton today. A hard slog for 2 whinchats, 3 redstarts and c. 12 wheatears. A slight raising of the pulses when a small locustella flew from the grass at the side of the track into thick bramble cover never to be seen again. However, although views brief, fairly sure nothing more than a very wet and bedraggled grasshopper warbler.
Confident there are still some big finds to come in the next few days so not quite ready to give up yet........
Mick

What a difference a day makes

It looks like you were a day too early Penny...

Spent the day on the hills today, got very wet, but it was worth it.

Todays haul included:

1 Greenish Warbler (am & pm)
1 Barred Warbler (pm)
3+ Yellow Browed (including one in appearing in some Marram grass during heavy rain)
40+ Restarts (probably more)
2+ Continental Coal Tits (stunning birds)
5 Pied Flys
1 Spot fly
1 Whinchat
1 Ring Ouzel
1 Wet Locustella (flushed several times from grass hopefully just a gropper)
6 Whitethroats
4 Blackcaps
2 Hobbies
1 Brambling (over)
a hundred or so goldcrests
a hundred or so robins
severel hundred song thrushes
2 greenshank

Attachments

• ybw1 (Small).jpg
    ybw1 (Small).jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 260
  • greenish1 (Small).jpg
    greenish1 (Small).jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 223
  • greenish2 (Small).jpg
    greenish2 (Small).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 243
  • greenish3 (Small).jpg
    greenish3 (Small).jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 221
Hi Dawn, thanks for your reply. It sent me scurrying first to the link you posted and then to the pics from Saturday; sure enough the tags are light green. I was concerned that my camera had developed a serious colour aberration but now realise it's just my age! I have pics of two harriers; one tagged and one not which I'd originally assumed were the same bird. I think I'll go to the email link and drop a line to say I've seen the bird. Best regards, Clive (aka Fast Ricky - yes, I know, stupid nickname).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back