• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (10 Viewers)

I would bow to Dave's greater experience.

I shouldn't if I were you! I agree the standing gull does look rather like Yellow-legged Gull and I don't have enough competence to rule that out. I'm just not quite sure that it's safe to judge the mantle/upperwing colour as being as pale as it seems. Personally I find other features like head/body shape hard to use reliably in the field, and nigh on impossible in a single photo. I don't know if there's anything useful in the primary pattern that someone better than me could use to clinch it?

Sly lens is Golden

With little more time in my working ‘week’ (of three days) than a quick stop on the way home, I thought a blast at West Runton might turn up something.

Scans of the fields, hedges and bushes revealed no migrants. The car park had a partially obscured plover on the brow, against the sky. Since I imagined I could see a breast band (and my prayers answered), I quickly drove around and up, to get into a better position for light and cunningly use the car as a mobile hide.

Unfortunately, the ‘band’ had been some vegetation and the Plover, Golden . . . but definitely not a 24-carat bird.

Attachments

• 007pse.jpg
    007pse.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 120
:eek!:Just seen a picture of the Sabine's Gull that sat on the sea off Salthouse for a while this afternoon, wish I'd gone to see it now!

See Steve Ganlett's pic here: http://www.birdingworld.co.uk/Cley 2012.3.htm

Now that's a Sabine's Gull!

Anyone know if the Booted has been seen today, I fancy a trip tomorrow? Cheers in advance

Yes, it showed briefly but well regularly this morning but was harder a bit later on. Yesterday in stronger winds it was impossible, and tomorrow looks like it will be windier again so don't expect it to be easy!

Not up to Steve Gantlett's standard for the Sabine's Gull, but still...
MJB

Attachments

• P1040354A.jpg
    P1040354A.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 159
  • P1040357A.jpg
    P1040357A.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 197
Anyone got any info. on the reported Pallid Swift at Holme this morning?

We're in Norfolk this week and was at Holme this morning. We were in the pines looking for the RBF when we heard about the Pallid. We started walking back through the dunes, just in case. As it happens we bumped into the finders' wife. She said he had seen a Swift sp over the dunes which he thought looked good for Pallid. The bird then flew towards the golf course and was never seen again.

We're in Norfolk this week and was at Holme this morning. We were in the pines looking for the RBF when we heard about the Pallid. We started walking back through the dunes, just in case. As it happens we bumped into the finders' wife. She said he had seen a Swift sp over the dunes which he thought looked good for Pallid. The bird then flew towards the golf course and was never seen again.
Roosting at Hunstanton Cliffs maybe?:eek!: Worth a look in the morning I think!:t:

P.S. Camera and lens sorted. Plus some hot news! See Blog!

Come on everybody please sign the petition , we need lots of people to sign it & then we can hopefully get the the engine testing stopped on this stretch off river , thanks ,
Pete

Hi all,

Just thought that I'd pop back to this thread to say thanks to everyone who helped me on Tuesday with directions for the Burnham Overy Booted & Barred Warblers. I managed to see both of them relatively easily yesterday though the Barred was only ever in flight. It was a shame that all the Red-breasted Flycatchers cleared out but as the Booted appears now to have gone as well I'm just grateful that it stayed long enough for me to see it. There was a Yellow-browed Warbler and a Pied Fly (see photo) at Warham Greens by way of compensation for the lack of RB Fly.

Thanks once again to all who helped

Adam (Gnome)

PS Write-up of the trip here if you're interested.

Attachments

• _PFly.jpg
    _PFly.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 133
East Hills query

After a fairly successful sea-watch off Cley this morning (Black Guillemot, Puffin, Manx & Sooty Shearwaters, 3+ Little Gull, 57 Red-throated Divers) I decided to try my luck at East Hills.

Unfortunately it deserted me: at the end of my first circuit I'd managed just Tree Pipit, Lesser Whitethroat and 2 Whitethroat, only to get the gripping 'late news yesterday' (Greenish Warbler, Ring Ouzel, 15 Redstarts, 5 Pied Flycatchers) then a report of Yellow-browed Warbler and 2 Redstarts today (presumably from the only other person I saw out there - didn't bump into him)! I promptly did another full circuit, adding only a Redwing.

I then saw the amazing news of 2 Greenish Warblers 'at East Hills today'... but that turned out to be a typo from one of the news services: 'just' 2 Yellow-broweds that I missed, then!

Cheers
Nick

Last edited:
No thanks.

Come on everybody please sign the petition , we need lots of people to sign it & then we can hopefully get the the engine testing stopped on this stretch off river , thanks ,
Pete

I'm not going to sign this as personally I don't agree (for many reasons*) but no doubt many will. Just out of interest, are there any other viable options for this testing to be done by the associated boatyards? Out of interest are people aware that further along this stretch, water skiing is perfectly permissible. These boatyards are part of the history and tradition of the Norfolk Broads.

* I used to be involved, (as an enforcement officer), with the navigation authority on the non tidal Thames so am well aware of excessive and constant wash caused by powered craft in terms of erosion / damage to other river users and property and finally impact on wildlife.

Footnotes: More damage and disturbance is likely through inexperienced helmsman at the wheel of hire craft. More mute swans in the UK are killed or injured at rowing regattas on inland waterways / still being taken as a food source by certain nationalities than those possibly affected by the boatyard engineers.

Last edited:
I'm not going to sign this as personally I don't agree (for many reasons*) but no doubt many will. Just out of interest, are there any other viable options for this testing to be done by the associated boatyards? Out of interest are people aware that further along this stretch, water skiing is perfectly permissible. These boatyards are part of the history and tradition of the Norfolk Broads.

* I used to be involved, (as an enforcement officer), with the navigation authority on the non tidal Thames so am well aware of excessive and constant wash caused by powered craft in terms of erosion / damage to other river users and property and finally impact on wildlife.

Footnotes: More damage and disturbance is likely through inexperienced helmsman at the wheel of hire craft. More mute swans in the UK are killed or injured at rowing regattas on inland waterways / still being taken as a food source by certain nationalities than those possibly affected by the boatyard engineers.

There are several places they could go & test there engines where the impact would not be so damaging on the river banks & the wildlife , evidently you havn't been to Strumpshaw Fen for a while to see the problem , I have spent over 40yrs around the broads & seen things get worse , by the sounds off your comment you have never seen a boat engine testing at Strumpshaw ,

I guess its what you think is more important the boat builders jobs or erosion to the banks. I cant think of anywhere else in the area where they could test their boats without causing the same problem or having a long journey out to sea which would push up their costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back