• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (24 Viewers)

Well I'm glad my little doze of reverse psychology about it being a quiet autumn worked a treat - a day like today deserves a write up.
We arrived first thing at Burnham Overy Town and already it seemed something huge was afoot. Thrushes were congregated in the corner of the first field and a flock of Brambling indicated things were happening. Every bush chock-a-block with Thrushes as we headed to the dunes and once on the way to Gun Hill the full scale of what was happeing emerged. As you climbed over a ridge carpets of birds flushed away in front of you, flocks 100 strong were coming high in off the sea and spiralling and cascading down into the nearest cover, Thrushes swiftly moving off south as more pummelled in. The emotion you feel when this kind of event is unfurling bypasses mere pleasure and you feel fully emersed in the drama that is unfolding. You are witnessing a truly amazing spectacle and fully involved in it.
A slight lull in the proceedings made us check for smaller stuff and tiny Goldcrests and tired Bramblings flicking about in the elders. But really the dunes almost seemed to be sinking under the weight of this number of Thrushes. It took us a while to find our first Ring Ouzels, but for the rest of the day we were accompanied by the chack, chack, chack of these birds as the shot about from bush to bush. Into the woods and a few stripes on a high up pyllosc had my heart pumping for a second and although a nice find was slightly disappointed that our Yellow-browed did not have that extra few stripes. On the way back definitely that feeling that this was a rare event indeed, as the light fading drinking in something that is seldom repeated. Slight changes now occurring, Robins beginning to take up the mantle of the Thrushes by appearing everywhere we looked, Blackbirds significantly increasing but just Thrushes filling the sky and on every bush, every furrow, every tussock.

Your guess it about as good as mine, but I recon that birds will still be arriving, but in lesser numbers, with more visibility and feeding birds making it slightly easier to pick things out. There must be Dusky and Raddes in Norfolk somewhere, waiting to be found. I thnk that just about anything could be found anywhere!

So, as to where to go and where to start: with the rares at Holme or Stiffkey or try a place that wasn't on the pager today, that'll be a good start!!

Thanks very much. Is Titchwell as good a place as any? Probably is, just checking if there's some weird stat that things hardly ever turn up there!

Cheers

Oscar

with the amount of birders at Stiffkey tomorrow guessing loads will be found in that area due to the amount of eyes looking, for a chance to find something yourself try walking out north of the car park to the stunted gorse at the far end of saltmarsh and the small area of conifers to the West (Stiffkey Meals).

The general consensus is that the real quality rarities are found in the days proceeding a big fall...

with the amount of birders at Stiffkey tomorrow guessing loads will be found in that area due to the amount of eyes looking, for a chance to find something yourself try walking out north of the car park to the stunted gorse at the far end of saltmarsh and the small area of conifers to the West (Stiffkey Meals).

The general consensus is that the real quality rarities are found in the days proceeding a big fall...
Hi Josh - enjoyed reading your write up and others on here today and fab pictures from everyone:t::t: Sadly, I don't think there will be huge "....amounts of eyes looking,....." as most people are at work! If only it were a weekend! Glad you have struck lucky with your holiday in Norfolk:t:

Penny:girl:

Thanks very much. Is Titchwell as good a place as any? Probably is, just checking if there's some weird stat that things hardly ever turn up there!

Cheers

Oscar

Hi Oscar - if I were not at work I would be at Holme Reserves, Titchwell RSPB and Thornham Point, Burnham Overy Dunes and Gun Hill, Stiffkey, Warham, East Hills, Blakeney Point, Friary Hills, Cley and Salthouse simultaneously!!!!;) Have a mega day tomorrow!:t:

Hi all,

Not very familiar with the Stiffkey area away from the fen but thinking of popping in providing that this Bluetail is still around. I will be going by the coasthopper, so any directions/possible routes to the campsite wood from the bus stop at Stiffkey village would be very greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi all,

Not very familiar with the Stiffkey area away from the fen but thinking of popping in providing that this Bluetail is still around. I will be going by the coasthopper, so any directions/possible routes to the campsite wood from the bus stop at Stiffkey village would be very greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Joseph

PM sent mate :)

Hi all,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Joseph

Ask the driver to stop at the road for Greenway (just before the Red Lion Pub). Walk down the road until you reach the carpark at the very end, next to the marsh. Walk right (east) and climb up the cliff top wood on your right. The path left (west) goes up to the 'whirlygig', the 'Pit' and up the Warham tracks - this is a good path to search after you have seen the bluetail - good luck:t:

Hi Joseph

Ask the driver to stop at the road for Greenway (just before the Red Lion Pub). Walk down the road until you reach the carpark at the very end, next to the marsh. Walk right (east) and climb up the cliff top wood on your right. The path left (west) goes up to the 'whirlygig', the 'Pit' and up the Warham tracks - this is a good path to search after you have seen the bluetail - good luck:t:

A far more concise version of what I sent you Joseph...For the sake of time i'd use this method haha

Just a side thought. Noticed the winds today came across from Denmark. Presuming (Unlikely that it is the case) that these birds were of Danish origin would it be fair to suggest that with the winds swinging more to the North later in the week that we could see another big fall of Norwegian/Swedish birds? If they don't happen to bump into the East coast further North that is.

Just a thought.

Thanks very much both of you, much appreciated; fingers crossed that things will be fruitful. Some fantastic accounts from people on here today. Not the first time there's been a big influx of Rouzels in Norfolk this year, this must be one of the best years in a good while for that species in the region?

Joseph

Thanks very much both of you, much appreciated; fingers crossed that things will be fruitful. Some fantastic accounts from people on here today. Not the first time there's been a big influx of Rouzels in Norfolk this year, this must be one of the best years in a good while for that species in the region?

Joseph
The best place to see Ring Ouzels when there has been a fall, is Ringstead Downs NWT – see HERE

Halve your numbers, Rob and that's what I recon I had around Stiffkey and I only arrived at noon!

I am still convincing myself that I didn't walk past Stiffkey's little gem and that it had only just arrived when found!

PS apologies to anyone I annoyed talking on my phone too loudly, hopefully lesson learned

Apology accepted. Geof

What is the path through the wood to the bluetail like, will it be ok for a pushchair? My youngest only learnt to walk on Friday so I'm not sure he'd be upto the walk and I'd like a crack at it if it is still there othe morning.

I was out on the marsh edge this morning on the N coast and the area was alive with winter thrushes , robins and so on. But many were in a pretty poor way and seemed unable to get a fix on which direction land lay. the big gulls were having a field day. I hope this fog lifts soon or there coulf be a major mortality. Huge numbers of wigeon about too plus surprisingly quite a few gannets.

But if anyone is thinking about venturing out I would not advise it. I lost my way 3 times in the fog for a short period I and I know the way out like the back of my hand having tracked out there for the past 40 years. Unlike 3 birdwatchers who where blundering about the sands badly disturbing the wildfowl and waders. When I finaly aproached them they said they were heading for the hills , but where I found them they were about 2 miles away and walking in the wrong direction!!! They refused an offer to guide them back to dry land at the greens and set off for the hills again , but from the sounds of lifting brents in the distance as they went were soon walking the wrong way again - out to sea. Fortunetly the tide is a very small one and the worst problem they should have is a bit of a wetting.

What is the path through the wood to the bluetail like, will it be ok for a pushchair? My youngest only learnt to walk on Friday so I'm not sure he'd be upto the walk and I'd like a crack at it if it is still there othe morning.

From memory it should be passable except for a few over grown bushes intruding on the path through the wood, nothing too bad though.

Main problem would be getting up onto the path as the slopes up to it from the path leading from the car park can be quite steep.

Is a little while since i've been there though.

Not being able to bunk of work and get to the coast I've made do with looking up, every time I hear that rasping 'seez ' from another flock of redwings or the cackle of some passing over Fieldfares but what I have witnessed here this morning is a huge amount of flying ladybirds? They are literally hundreds of them and it seems that the gulls and Corvids are taking them out of the air ,something I've not witnessed before- is this unusual?
Shaky

Having gone back again today I have to say the fog was worse than yesterday imo...Definately quite alot less birds today although I was on the "mainland" today (Stiffkey and Warham). Birds still coming in when I left at about 2pm.

Its quite a challenge in the fog, although lots of birds are moving around I am sure there will be others sitting tight / skulking until the weather improves slightly. I am also fairly amazed that more scarce / rare birds have not been found after yesterday's epic migration and todays fall.

Hey ho...Back to work tomorrow, just in time for that Accentor to be found by someone - no doubt in one of the patches of ground I have covered in the last two days. But still wouldn't swap being on Blakeney yesterday for anything!

All the best
Jon

Having gone back again today I have to say the fog was worse than yesterday imo...Definately quite alot less birds today although I was on the "mainland" today (Stiffkey and Warham). Birds still coming in when I left at about 2pm.

Its quite a challenge in the fog, although lots of birds are moving around I am sure there will be others sitting tight / skulking until the weather improves slightly. I am also fairly amazed that more scarce / rare birds have not been found after yesterday's epic migration and todays fall.

Hey ho...Back to work tomorrow, just in time for that Accentor to be found by someone - no doubt in one of the patches of ground I have covered in the last two days. But still wouldn't swap being on Blakeney yesterday for anything!

All the best
Jon

Fog definitely worse than today on the whole but weirdly clears for a minute or two here before falling back on us.
May get a chance to see some of the action this evening having missed 95% of it so far. Just to see one Ring Ouzel would be excellent.
Interesting that no more rares have turned up, poor visibility to blame I suppose (Or maybe just a lack of them so far?).
Be interesting to see what happens when the wind shifts to a real Northerly on Thursday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back