• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (22 Viewers)

Puffins

Found this info on Birdguides:

This last week has clearly seen something of a wreck of auks along the N Norfolk coast. At Holme, 4 Puffins have now been found, with 3 discovered yesterday afternoon and a single earlier in the week. Considering the relative scarcity of Puffins at Holme (this is more dead Puffins than I've seen live ones from the Observatory), especially in spring, this is clearly quite a serious and unusual wreck and one that seems to be affecting Puffins disproportionately; other auks along the tideline yesterday afternoon consisted of a 'bridled' Guillemot (thanks for the heads-up Rob), 2 Razorbills and 3 auk sp. All in a suitable condition have been sent of for scientific testing to establish cause of death. Pictures attached (those of a squeamish disposition might be advised to look away!) Unfortunately seawatching has so far failed to produce any live auks. Not how I would have liked to have seen my first Norfolk spring Puffins... Might be worth others doing tideline walks to see how much this is a problem along the rest of the Norfolk coast.
It's feared that the ongoing bad weather may be responsible for the deaths of hundreds of seabirds of the east coast of the UK. RSPB Scotland has received many reports of Puffins, as well as Razorbills and Guillemots, washing up on beaches from Aberdeenshire and Angus to Northumberland.

The conservation charity believes severe weather may have led to birds struggling to find food or succumbing to exhaustion, although the exact causes are currently unknown. An RSPB Scotland spokesperson said: "This may be the worst Puffin 'wreck' we have seen for almost half a century. Despite their small stature Puffins are fairly hardy birds, adept at coping with the harsh conditions of life at sea. To hear that so many have been discovered dead is unusual and worrying. We are in close contact with experts from the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology to learn more about what is happening but it appears that the prolonged and unprecedented weather is making life extremely difficult for this species. We are fast approaching the start of the seabird breeding season, where tens of thousands of seabirds return to their colonies to raise their young. The recent events could have an impact on the success of this year's Puffin breeding season, a species already suffering population declines. RSPB Scotland, with the help of volunteers, will be closely monitoring the fortunes of this species and many other seabirds throughout the summer months."

RSPB
Wednesday 27th March 2013

3/4 Chiffchaff in at Surlingham Church Marsh today.

Tomorrow afternoon looks decent with some southerlies forecast, as does Sunday, top temperatures of 20 degrees C with more southerlies.

When this Spring does kick off, it will be very decent, shirley? The birds must be waiting somewhere, maybe even caught in a bottleneck if that is the right terminology to use in this case.

Cheers,
Jim.

Fire in the Dell !

Whilst there was nothing of note that I could locate at WRunton, Salthouse or Walsey, the Dell (Wells Woods) came good.

A typically flighty Firecrest paused long enough for some poorish shots. They are the very devil to photo.

A Chiffchaff remained (?) from yesterday.

Attachments

• 008pse.jpg
    008pse.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 017pse.jpg
    017pse.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 049pse.jpg
    049pse.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 134pse.jpg
    134pse.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 90
Gosh, I need some tour guide to see fire crest, anybody can volunteer? ;) Pint on me

Also on my way back from Reading today, I saw 7 red kites (2x Maidenhead town, 1x Reading, 4x Wycombe) and 1 kestrel (Wycombe) along the motorway. Was it because of the location or am I just too lucky....

Gosh, I need some tour guide to see fire crest, anybody can volunteer? ;) Pint on me

Also on my way back from Reading today, I saw 7 red kites (2x Maidenhead town, 1x Reading, 4x Wycombe) and 1 kestrel (Wycombe) along the motorway. Was it because of the location or am I just too lucky....

Location is key! There has been a large introduction project in the area and people often talk about the M40 corridor for seeing Red Kite!
They have now become 'so common' in East Anglia to not be reported on RBA, which is a shame as there was an excellent movement along the coast and into Suffolk recently, as highlightened by Mick earlier!

A migrant-free zone
A surprisingly pleasant walk from Horsey to Winterton South Dunes but totally devoid of any migrants and probably for the first time ever on this route not even a Common Buzzard. 'Highlight' was a large grass snake across the path but quickly disappeared in the long grass.
Just to put at least something worthwhile on the day list a return to Sea Palling to look for the glaucs and surprisingly 3 still present-watched two birds heading south towards Waxham and a third then flew in from the north. Apart from the BB Dipper these are probably the most photographed birds of the spring in Norfolk with lots of shots either in flight, on the beach or on the sea but here's one that sort of combines all three.......

Mick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 148
Chiff Chaffs and Blackcaps

Still haven't managed to hear or see a Chiff Chaff yet. :-C

However, there was a male Blackcap in the garden this morning and on Sunday. Although I would expect to be seeing spring migrants by now, this bird had the feel of an overwintering individual about it because it fed on dried meal worms from the bird table and eyed up the suet cake. Also, i have not heard it sing at all.

Does anyone have any thoughts/information on whether the habit of visiting bird tables is something that the wintering population of Blackcaps do exclusively? Or do migrants from southern Europe and Africa indulge in this behaviour as well?

Regards

Steve

Fabulous evening at Ringstead – 4 Common Buzzards spiralling together, 1 Red Kite, 1 Tawny Owl and 22 Guinea Fowl at Ringstead Downs NWT and then a Little Owl sitting on a bush by the farm at the top of the Ringstead hill (near the mill).

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Auk Wreck

Today walked Blakeney Point as far as halfway house, and from Salthouse to Kelling.

Total deaths included c.40 Razorbills, 10 Puffins, 5 Guillemots, Sev kittiwakes, 1 Fulmar, 2+ Herring Gulls, 3+ Black-headed Gulls, 2 Lapwing, 1 Oystercatcher (ringed), 1 Fieldfare, 3 Lesser Spotted Dogfish, 1 Lumpsucker (you can see the sucker where it gets its name from in the 2nd photo).

Oh and there were 2 Snow Buntings on the point but little else

Attachments

• lumpsucker.jpg
    lumpsucker.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 129
  • lumpsucker2.jpg
    lumpsucker2.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 172
Today walked Blakeney Point as far as halfway house, and from Salthouse to Kelling.

Total deaths included c.40 Razorbills, 10 Puffins, 5 Guillemots, Sev kittiwakes, 1 Fulmar, 2+ Herring Gulls, 3+ Black-headed Gulls, 2 Lapwing, 1 Oystercatcher (ringed), 1 Fieldfare, 3 Lesser Spotted Dogfish, 1 Lumpsucker (you can see the sucker where it gets its name from in the 2nd photo).

Oh and there were 2 Snow Buntings on the point but little else

Was that 2 alive Snow Buntings?

birding at sixty (mph)

I was driving along the Acle straight about 4.15 this afternoon and saw a raptor. Unfortunately there was no time to take more than a couple of glances. The bird was buzzard sized about 100 to 150 yards away. Pale brown, not grey. As it banked over it presented the upper side of its wings. The noticable feature was almost a moth like effect with dark patches at the ends of the wings. The area would equate to the primaries and primary coverts or so. Is it likely to be a Marsh Harrier?
any ideas?

Two red kites in Sheringham Park this morning, over the meadow in front of the Hall. One moved off West, the other lingered, circling very low right over our heads before drifting off East. Best view I've ever had!

Nigel

Report (from RBA) of male Red-flanked Bluetail on Sunday, NE of Burnham Overy Staithe, by path to Dunes.

Fabulous evening at Ringstead

A surreal moment, as I hit on the NWT website page for Ringstead Downs, to see ‘Nature Reserves Access by Canoe’, on the left- then, immediately realising it did not, in fact, apply to this reserve.

I heard long ago this chalky area was the last site for the natural occurrence of Chalk-hill Blues, have been through the trees to explore the (then) concealed chalk face and am glad of its restoration and enhancement. The walk west (impressive arrays of thistles) can be wonderful in warm weather- if anyone remembers what this is like. We are promised this sort of thing from the weekend. It’ll be most welcome.

It is good to hear (and see that) Cetti’s are back at Cley.

Beeston Common this morning, 1 Chiffchaff, 4 Brambling, 5 Redpoll, 2prs Bullfinch, 2 adult Med Gull circled north at 1050 calling. 2 Muntjac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back