• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (15 Viewers)

Helicopter crashed into the middle of Cley NWT Reserve apparently. Heard flying very low overhead by locals before it crashed – how tragic:-C:-C:-C

Yes, very tragic indeed and condolences to the families of the US servicemen who died in the crash

Of course, Cley reserve (and the East Bank as well as the Beach Road) will be closed for the foreseeable future while the debris, which includes live ammunition, is cleared up and the site made safe

.................... and feelings too, for the NWT staff and volunteers who will have another clear-up to deal with after the sea surge!

Mike S

Yes, very tragic indeed and condolences to the families of the US servicemen who died in the crash

Of course, Cley reserve (and the East Bank as well as the Beach Road) will be closed for the foreseeable future while the debris, which includes live ammunition, is cleared up and the site made safe

.................... and feelings too, for the NWT staff and volunteers who will have another clear-up to deal with after the sea surge!

Mike S

I have just heard all about this - what a tragedy for the people involved, and the NWT staff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-25649464

The day I was out at Cley over the Xmas period a piece of live ammuniation was found by a member of the public. There where all type of military cars and I heard the explosion go off late afternoon - and that was that. Luckily the whole nature reserve was not entirely cut off at that point in time

Talk about lightning hitting twice in the military sense of the word. :eek!:

The addition of the sea surge in the area which I have to say looks nothing like the same place anymore on the shore front - more like a lunar landscape.

Just sad all round at the moment. :-C

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Looking at the BBC map, it appears to have come down in the spot where a few months ago I was laying face down photographing an egret. It's at least fortunate it happened at a time when there were less people milling about.

Titchwell January 8th

Today's highlights

Great northern diver - 1 offshore
Black throated diver - 1 offshore
Long tailed duck - 5 offshore
Velvet scoter - 5 offshore
Avocet - 21 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 3 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 1 on Volunteer Marsh

Paul

Talk about lightning hitting twice in the military sense of the word. :eek!

There was also the controlled explosion on Blakeney Point, the morning that a Parrot Crossbill was reported at Stiffkey (13/10/13). The explosion rattled your teeth, even from where we were stood. They say it comes in threes, so let's hope that this is the end of such incidents.

Kieran

Looking at the BBC map, it appears to have come down in the spot where a few months ago I was laying face down photographing an egret. It's at least fortunate it happened at a time when there were less people milling about.

Not sure how accurate that location on the map is, initial reports said it had come down on Salthouse Marsh - the emergency services were outside the Dun Cow, which obviously isn't the nearest point to get to the end of the east bank. Either way, something Cley could do without I'm sure.

Interesting to see the destruction of the shingle bank too from lots of the photos.

I was in the same spot the day before watching (presumably) the same helicopter flying very low and scaring the crap out of all the wildfowl (and me!)
So I feel fortunate now...

Anyone know what the weather forecast is like for Titchwell tomorrow?Been raining steadily in Skegness for several hours so I'm contemplating my first ever birdwatching trip away from Gibraltar Point which sadly is still suffering the effects of the tidal surge (Visitor Centre closed, no access to some hides).

Anyone know what the weather forecast is like for Titchwell tomorrow?Been raining steadily in Skegness for several hours so I'm contemplating my first ever birdwatching trip away from Gibraltar Point which sadly is still suffering the effects of the tidal surge (Visitor Centre closed, no access to some hides).

I can't imagine the weather at Skeggy and Titchwell are ever that much different. Forecast is Ok for today anyway.

Steve

Chucked it down overnight (another inch) but is dry and fairly calm at the moment (08:45)

Paul

Aurora borealis

Not strictly birding of course but in case you have missed the news a large Coronal Mass Ejection from sun spot AR1944 on Tuesday might produce the best Northern Lights for many years tonight (Thursday) - worth a look from a really dark part of the Norfolk coast if the sky is clear. Search for aurora forecast or watch Stargazing Live on BBC2 20:00 tonight, if you are a Professor Brian Cox fan.

- Alan

Titchwell January 9th

Today's highlights

Spotted redshank - 9 on saltmarsh
Avocet - 27 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 76 on fresh marsh
Velvet scoter - 3 offshore

Paul

Any thoughts on this duck. I'm thinking it's a hybrid?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-11-17-53-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-11-17-53-54.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 321
Blakeney harbour was very productive yesterday afternoon with all 3 divers being present, 2 Black-throated, 2 Great Northern and 4+ Red-throated. They were swimming out of view to the west fairly regularly so there could easily be more than this. With yesterday's report of 9 Long-tailed Ducks and 2 Slav Grebes, definitely worth a visit. We also had Razorbill, Guillemot, lots of Goldeneye & Mergs, Rock pipits, Hen Harrier, lots of waders including Greenshank etc.
There is a big metal boat which provides shelter form the westerly wind if there is one ! just walk north east from Stiffkey fen to view.

Stiffkey and Blakeney Harbour

Blakeney harbour was very productive yesterday afternoon with all 3 divers being present, 2 Black-throated, 2 Great Northern and 4+ Red-throated. They were swimming out of view to the west fairly regularly so there could easily be more than this. With yesterday's report of 9 Long-tailed Ducks and 2 Slav Grebes, definitely worth a visit. We also had Razorbill, Guillemot, lots of Goldeneye & Mergs, Rock pipits, Hen Harrier, lots of waders including Greenshank etc.
There is a big metal boat which provides shelter form the westerly wind if there is one ! just walk north east from Stiffkey fen to view.

From the aforementioned boat on the corner this afternoon
Kingfisher along channel on approach
Two black-throated divers west of the Point
Three long-tailed ducks
Three guillemots opposite the end of the Point
Five red-breasted mergansers together, plus others
Plus plenty of wildfowl and waders of many species.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back