• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (48 Viewers)

I understand from Johney birder that the twitter reference comes from a Norfolk birder who spends time at Holme. Apparently an image on the back of a camera. More accurate info no doubt will follow. At least it is not a RT Robin:)

Last edited:
I may be able to clear up some of the mis-information regarding news of a Desert wheatear. Yesterday afternoon I received a message on facebook from a friend who was asking my opinion on a bird's ID. He suspected one of the rarer wheatears but had touted black eared. The image he sent me was that of a 1st W male Desert wheatear, which he had received from somebody he knows (I don't) locally. I relayed this information back to him as asked if he had any more details regarding location & date, but ask of yet I haven't heard anything further and the message has since disappeared from my facebook account... I have no further information at this time, and know nothing of any reports from Holme (I was last there 10+ years ago!) and have only seen the image digitally. I also currently live in Warwickshire so I certainly haven't seen the bird. Hope this clears up this matter, though perhaps it sounds as though Mr Rayment has more information than me!

Thanks Daniel. Holme was mentioned in a telephone conservation yesterday afternoon. Often rumours re rare birds in Norfolk are "flushed out" so to speak. Clearly there is a photo of a rare bird. Where is was taken, when and by whom maybe remain more problematic to clarify. No harm done.

No problem, apparently taken in norfolk "recently" but the photo has since gone astray... That in itself probably says more than I have to! All the best.

Best bet is to park in the little car park at the junction of North Park Avenue and Bluebell rd. cross over the new pedestrian crossing follow the path opposite down to the broad. The feeders are at the bottom of the path in a fenced off area to your left before the broad. The views are a bit obscured because of the fence etc but if you find a gap you should get views of redpolls regularly. They primarily feed on the yellow topped linseed feeder.

Hi Tim I am very glad you posted the above instructions which I copied down before I left Devon. Following a week in North Norfolk I was travelling from Acle to Uppingham on Saturday and called in at the UEA and saw at least one Mealy Redpoll on the yellow topped feeder. I would never have found this site without your help. Regards Roger

Titchwell February 4th

Today's highlights

Scaup - female with tufted duck flock commuting between the fresh marsh and Patsy's reedbed
Spotted redshank - 4 on saltmarsh
Avocet - 38 on fresh marsh
Woodcock - 1+ in scrub
Hen harrier - ringtail hunting over saltmarsh
Velvet scoter - 1 offshore

Paul

Can anyone shed any light on the Hoveton Two-barred Crossbill?
From RBA, bird present c.1 month. Access was arranged for today, and a probable was reported twice.
Will access be arranged again? Is it a 2barred?!

Cheers,
Jim.

Can anyone shed any light on the Hoveton Two-barred Crossbill?
From RBA, bird present c.1 month. Access was arranged for today, and a probable was reported twice.
Will access be arranged again? Is it a 2barred?!

Cheers,
Jim.

Photo here...

Access arranged for Friday 8am to 5pm.

Atb,

James

Hoveton crossbill

Thanks James. Nice looking bird but in some ways not dissimilar to the recent Lynford bird. In that respect, unconvincing. But, hopefully those wiser than I will comment.
Jim.

Had reasonable views of the crossbill today - not too sure of the i/d.
, not the classic wing bar and the digiscoped pics do little to help.

Attachments

• crossbill copy.jpg
    crossbill copy.jpg
    795.8 KB · Views: 205
Thanks James. Nice looking bird but in some ways not dissimilar to the recent Lynford bird. In that respect, unconvincing. But, hopefully those wiser than I will comment.
Jim.

That was kinda my initial reaction Jim. Nice find for Stuart but it's ID could prove to be quite contentious...

Atb,

James

ah a wanderer returns, now can you please tell us all what you've been suppressing :eek!:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26014387

Ok, I have clearly been away for far to long, British birding has clearly turned in a 'I heard it from my mothers brothers cats uncles nephews dog!

I quote "Hen Harrier hunting over saltmarsh" - could you be any more vague!

Bittern over 'reedbed' clearly an errogenous report

and Norfolk birders are now simply 'images on the back of cameras'...?

random scores of B,O,N and A from your Grammer Teacher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVfu09t6BP

Raeng Khoy - 'Await the Vulture'.

Last edited:
Thanks to the finder of the two-barred crossbill at Hoveton Hall and for all involved arranging access and onsite details - a superb site!

Titchwell February 5th

Today's highlights

Snow bunting - 30 feeding on beach at 10am but mobile, ranging as far as Thornham Point
Velvet scoter - 1 offshore
Hen harrier - ringtail hunting widely over the saltmarsh mid morning only
Scaup - female on reedbed pool but mobile
Woodcock - 2 roosting in scrub near the Fen/Meadow Trail junction
Spotted redshank - 2 on Lavender Pool

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back