• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (31 Viewers)

Great day at Strumpshaw today with Marsh Harriers showing constantly, several sightings of Hobby and my first Swifts of the year. Heard onlys included booming Bittern, reeling Grasshopper Warbler (at 2pm!), singing Garden Warbler, and an undetermined number of Cuckoos.

Comparatively, Buckenham was quiet, though a large Pipit that disappeared into the long grass on the east side of the path was potentially interesting. We missed the Garganey despite a thorough search but a couple of male Ruffs infront of the hide were nice.

Will

I had a large falcon with prey at the former Coltishall air base today, initially from a moving car, when I presumed it was a Peregrine. However, I then had brief/ relatively distant views through bins and saw that it had sandy brown mantle/ inner wing & darker flight feathers and was appreciably larger & stockier than a Pg, from the size relative to the apparent Jackdaw it was carrying (being mobbed by others) - the only other feature noted was that it appeared to have poorly marked moustachials.

My best guess on id would be Saker-type/ hybrid - I just wondered if there had been any other recent similar sightings in the general area?

David

I had a large falcon with prey at the former Coltishall air base today, initially from a moving car, when I presumed it was a Peregrine. However, I then had brief/ relatively distant views through bins and saw that it had sandy brown mantle/ inner wing & darker flight feathers and was appreciably larger & stockier than a Pg, from the size relative to the apparent Jackdaw it was carrying (being mobbed by others) - the only other feature noted was that it appeared to have poorly marked moustachials.

My best guess on id would be Saker-type/ hybrid - I just wondered if there had been any other recent similar sightings in the general area?

David

Hello David.

I think that there is probably always an escaped large falcon knocking about somewhere and they are probably very mobile. For instance, in the last three years I have had two Saker type birds as far apart as Blythburgh in Suffolk and Snettisham.

Steve.

Falcon

I've seen this large falcon at Cantley several times (as have Steve Smith & Dot Machin) It has no jesses, but would seem to be a falconers hybrid.

Attachments

• FALCON.jpg
    FALCON.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 182
Nine Common Cranes at Hickling yesterday presumably getting ready for today's day trip to the north coast.

Mick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 92
Heard a Wood Warbler singing at Lynford Arboretum this lunchtime by bench alongside edge of paddock. Unfortunately, it disappeared when a barking dog charged through, and I was unable to relocate it.

Gordon

The rather fabulous Pintail x Wigeon hybrid showed well on Simmond's Scrape, NWT Cley, this afternoon. Migrant-wise, plenty of Wheatears at Gramborough Hill and a party of 11 brick red Arctic-bound Bar-tailed Godwits on a shimmering Arnold's Marsh.

Cheers, Rob

Attachments

• 20140503-5433.jpg
    20140503-5433.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 175

That is sort of what prompted the comment. At a popular site for Nightingales in a nearby county, dogs run into scrub causing potential disturbance despite being asked to keep there animals on the lead. In the event that a photographer plays a tape he/she breaks the law. What is the penalty for dog/dog owners causing disturbance. Clearly the dogs can not read the signs, but there owners can, well at least some of them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back