• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (46 Viewers)

I have noticed that no-one on BUBO has ticked their little owls at Flitcham Abbey Farm this year. Are they still there in the oak, or have they cleared off?

I haven't been that way yet this year but I think I remember reading that someone had seen them recently on a local blog, will try to remember where. If not there are some at Felbrigg that are often seen from near the car park.

[Edit] It was on Marcus' blog from last week: https://norfolkbirdtours.wordpress.com/2015/01/18/18th-january-2015-the-varied-sights-of-nw-norfolk/

Last edited:
I have noticed that no-one on BUBO has ticked their little owls at Flitcham Abbey Farm this year. Are they still there in the oak, or have they cleared off?

No sign of the Flitcham birds a couple of weeks ago, notes in the book suggest they are not there.
As said, birds can be seen from the carpark at Felbrigg, I believe looking roughly south at a large isolated tree.

John

www.kellingnature.zenfolio.com

ps no thanks required or expected|=)|

Some good visible migration on the coast today most notablely Fieldfare, Woodpigeons and Lapwing. Unfortunately I was never able to keep a tally today so would be interested in hearing anybody else's. A friend counted 700 Fieldfare south over Hunstanton in what at most could of been a two hour period first thing.

I'll probably try the Cliffs tomorrow but it'll be one of those days where you want eyes in the sky and sea (well at least I hope so!)

Clearly another clapped out old nob to avoid.:clap:

You will see I have now placed an avatar as to my social standing on here. Clearly I am in the yellow.3:)
Have had the pleasure of knowing and birding with Michael Seago Percy Trett and Robin Harrison Not forgetting my old School teacher Dick Bird OLD men when I new them but men with more bird knowledge my friend then you will ever know.

Clearly another clapped out old nob to avoid.:clap:

You will see I have now placed an avatar as to my social standing on here. Clearly I am in the yellow.3:)

I'll accept your description as a 'clapped out old nob'...but pleased to see that you discovered Google all on your own......and it didn't take you long to learn the typical BF response style.......

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the owls. Can you tell me where Felbrigg is and which part of the car park I look from?

Have not seen them myself, but the car park is next to the hall, just follow signs. As I said before just look south from car park, which is not very large.
Hopefully somebody who has seen them will clarify.
Felbrigg is a few miles west of Cromer

John

Last edited:
Sunday 25 Jan 2015

Birding from Sheringham back to Brancaster produced 4 Purple Sandpipers, on rocks beneath Crown Pub, Sheringham. East Bank Cley 400yards east, Snow Buntings c 60, and flock Linnet. Burnham Overy Staithe, Rough Legged Buzzard, Common Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, and to finish Red Kite at Brancaster Staithes. Main highlights.

Even though we dipped on the Great White Egret at Sparham Pools this morning, we still had an excellent day.
We did get both a male and female Goosander instead, which started the day well and things took a dramatic turn when everything went up over the nearby slope and hill. The 100 or so Fieldfares present, suddenly found themselves one less when an adult Peregrine swooped in out of nowhere and plucked one out of the air about 20 feet from the ground and flew off over the hill with it. We also heard a Water Rail and a couple of Great Spotted Woodpeckers drumming, enhancing what was already a very peaceful and enjoyable morning.

Later on, further along the river valley and completely unplanned, just in passing, we casually stopped off at Bylaugh Church and the adjacent sewage works for a quick look. This turned out to be the best decision of the day and we had a good solid hour of quality birding at a place where you might normally just drive straight past.

First off here, there was a Chiffchaff in the bushes by the sewage works gate. Always nice to get one in winter but when it flew onto the slurry pit to feed it was followed by not one more, but two! Three Chiffchaffs all feeding within yards of each other out in the open in the middle of winter.. a fantastic sight. But the birds did not stop there. Shortly after, five Bullfinches flew in together, three females of which showed excellently at the top of a tree. We saw lots of Bullfinches in general today and I have seen dozens already this year at various sites which is really heartening. A Little Owl began calling in the distance and three Common Buzzards flew over. Just when we were about to leave, the bird which we originally pulled in to hope for suddenly appeared.. a smart looking Grey Wagtail with a tremendously long tail to be proud of. Finally, back at the car a Treecreeper trilled ending a superb hours birding.

We checked out some more lakes in the area and apart from Great Crested Grebes, Tufted Ducks and a couple of Pochard, these were generally quiet but on the way home from the last site, along a narrow country lane, we spied a Sparrowhawk in the road which had just caught some prey. Luckily for us it flew onto a branch overhanging the road just a few yards further along so we drove the car up towards it slowly and were treated to stunning views of this beautiful male as he hurridly and completely consumed his prey. He was coming into superb breeding plumage and the undertail coverts were just starting to come through and wrap around the uppertail. Some lovely pencil thin flecks were noted in this area which I have never seen before. When he had finished his meal he had a quick spruce up, cleaned his bill on the branch and was off, straight down the lane again. Thinking about it, we watched him for several minutes and it was amazing luck that during this time, not one car came down this lane. Because there was no room to pull in anywhere, that would have meant we would have had to cut this fantastic sighting short prematurely but fortunately our luck was in on this occasion. Excellent day!!

Last edited:
Nice report there Steve.

I lucked in today after a text from Ben Lewis alerted me to a lone Bewick's Swan grazing on Langley Marshes. Managed to connect this afternoon, a patch lifer and that's both expected Wild Swans in the bag this year!

Nice to catch up with some common residents this weekend, the highlight was a Nuthatch at Wheatfen. Lovely to watch but makes your neck ache somewhat!

Birds in song include Chaffinch, Stock Dove, Great Tit and Song Thrush.

Cheers,
Jim.

Sorry but I still can't work out how to start a new thread?! Anyway, could anyone one of you kind local birders let me know if it is now possible to access Ollie's Farm since the A11 roadworks seem to be finished and if so remind me how to find it please? I was there two years ago but I assume the new road layout will have affected access? I am planning to come down around the end of February. Thanks in advance.
Coolbirder.

Happy Birthday Penny!! Turning 30 is tricky but I'm sure you'll cope! I'm a regular follower of your blog - for my vicarious walks to the point! Much easier on the legs! Keep up the good work! And good luck in your new job.

Happy Birthday Penny!! Turning 30 is tricky but I'm sure you'll cope! I'm a regular follower of your blog - for my vicarious walks to the point! Much easier on the legs! Keep up the good work! And good luck in your new job.
30!!! I wish! Add another 20 for tomorrow, been having a mid-life crisis all day about it, but thanks for your birthday wishes, much appreciated:t:

Hi, I've whizzed along the A11 northbound several times and haven't spotted any pull-off at the spot birders used to access Ollie's Farm. It's dual-carriageway now and I doubt very much there is access. You can of course (and always have been able to) enter the general area from the tracks that lead in off the B1106, north of Centre Parcs. Good luck!

Titchwell January 27th

Today's highlights

Water pipit - 1 commuting between the fresh marsh and drained grazing meadow pool
Snow bunting - 8 on beach but mobile
Twite - 2 west
Spotted redshank - 1 on saltmarsh
Brambling - 1 on feeders
Bittern - 1 showing well from Fen Hide this afternoon

Attachments

• LesB Titchwell Bittern 2.jpg
    LesB Titchwell Bittern 2.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 170
  • LesB Titchwell_Bittern_1.jpg
    LesB Titchwell_Bittern_1.jpg
    969.9 KB · Views: 98