• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (23 Viewers)

3 chiffchaff feeding along eastern bank of village pond in Stanoe and a lone storm petrel at 7.15am on a misty Friday fluttering up and down the pond.

NDR has its benefits

Recently, I have been on a stretch of the NDR several times and have seen quite a few birds on a pool at the side of it. I have already seen: 1 Egyptian Goose, 2 Greylag Geese, 2 Shelduck, 1 Lapwing and a few Teal and Mallard.

Recently, I have been on a stretch of the NDR several times and have seen quite a few birds on a pool at the side of it. I have already seen: 1 Egyptian Goose, 2 Greylag Geese, 2 Shelduck, 1 Lapwing and a few Teal and Mallard.

That works out around 25 million pounds per bird :)

That works out around 25 million pounds per bird :)

|8.| I am extremely sorry for my incorrect term used in my last post. How dare I call it the NDR! This bargain road costing the taxpayer just £205 million pounds is actually called the Broadland Northway.

Update: I have seen the Shelducks on several more occasions which are a good path tick for me.

|8.| I am extremely sorry for my incorrect term used in my last post. How dare I call it the NDR! This bargain road costing the taxpayer just £205 million pounds is actually called the Broadland Northway.

Update: I have seen the Shelducks on several more occasions which are a good path tick for me.

Which pool? I drive the length of it a fair bit and have been looking out for them to no avail .

RE: The road to nowhere

Shelduck have bred in the area for over 40 years, this is not as a consequence of the NDR construction.

There are actually schedule 1 breeding birds along the route of the road, which can be seen from your car, if you know where to look :t:

On the down side, the habitat and breeding species lost as a direct result of its construction is extremely sad :-C

ps. The correct name for the NDR is "Developers Dream"...

Norfolk's best birding sites to close permanently!

Natural England, in their quest to improve [sic] coastal access in Norfolk, is proposing to stop all public access to Wells East Hills & Holme Dunes (apart from one path at the latter) all year, and all of Gun Hill/Burnham Overy Dunes all spring and summer. See
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-weybourne-to-hunstanton-comment-on-proposals
download the 'Weybourne to Hunstanton overview' pdf, and see the maps at the end. A disaster for Norfolk birding! Objections must be in by this Wednesday!

Actually, I only skim-read it and posted hastily because of the Wednesday deadline, so I got Gun Hill/BO Dunes wrong. It is only the beach nesting strip there, not the whole dunes. Phew. Sorry for any unnecessary heartache on that. But Holme Dunes access does potentially look badly curtailed and East Hills totally so if this goes through.

I would urge any birder/dog walker/family picnicers to read up on the sensitivity of sand dune habitat both for biodiversity of flora and flora and the long term damage caused by failure to protect sand dunes from pedestrian erosion. I applaud NE who in partnership with other conservation organisations are taking much needed action to reverse the decline of our sand dune habitats, thus helping to reverse the decline in Little Terns inter alia, through disturbance, on the Norfolk coast.

http://www.norfolkbiodiversity.org/actionplans/habitatactionplans/coastalsanddunes.aspx

Hi Deb,
Just want to ask one question.
You say sand dunes are a "habitat both for biodiversity of flora and flora and the long term damage caused by failure to protect sand dunes from pedestrian erosion" - why does the Norfolk Tourist industry encourage people to come during this part of the year and why has NE never said anything about this in the past? You applaud NE as though this was something that just occurred last month and they are reacting to it.
The truth is that "tourists" pay directly and indirectly for the protection of much of the wildlife in Norfolk and this needs to be managed. Much of the issue relates to dogs (and I am a dog owner). Most people who come to North Norfolk understand or can be educated to understand the environment.
Did NE spend a lot of tax payers money to build a coastal path / NDR to encourage tourists to come to North Norfolk Coast?
We can create huge expanses of the country that we can "manage" for the benefit of certain species and refuse to let the public access - but then what is the point. Why should the tax payer pay for something and receive nothing in return.
The price of North Norfolk holiday rentals is falling as we speak.

[/QUOTE=DoghouseRiley;3719837]Hi Deb,
The price of Norfolk holiday rentals is falling as we speak.[/QUOTE]

Can you substantiate this last comment? Living here I'm not aware of this change as yet.
I also disagree with the suggestion that most visitors to Norfolk understand or can be guided how to appreciate the environment - a personal observation gained from my work with NWT including time at Holme Dunes, one of the areas earmarked. Many day trippers didn't care a jot of its beach and sand dune status as a NNR etc despite appropriate on site information signs - in fact these interpretation boards were used by many as a convenient place to leave their rubbish or decorate with dog poo bags.

There are countless examples of where the taxpayer doesn't have direct access to the end product of where their money goes e.g. Defence. I don't get to sit in a RAF Typhoon ( Eurofighter ) but I'm glad to know we have them. Does that simple type of logic not transfer to our fragile habitats and their biodiversity within? Perhaps we need to view the matter as " temporary guardians" of these wild and fragile places. After all, surely the objective is to stop further degradation or even repair damage caused by the ever increasing human population.

Pat

Last edited:
Hi Pat
Yes, I would love to. When people stay in an area known for birdwatching with substantial access to beaches and coastal paths, and then you take it away from them (even for a limited period) those people then wonder if they would be better off going elsewhere. It's not really rocket science. As an example, I am thinking about buying a house near Blakeney, the intention is to rent this property out, but until we know where we stand with potential changes, that is now on hold. In what is a very difficult property market, things like this will not help and will inevitably effect house prices.
The phrase is that "the minority spoil it for the majority" - therefore by definition most do understand.
As for the third point, well it is difficult to know where to start. When it comes to defence, I think that the majority of people are bright enough to understand that they can't go and take a spin in a Eurofighter but if they go to the numerous airshows around they can sit in one. We get to see what our taxpayers billions buy, we get to see the aircraft, we can see the ships, and if you want a trip towards Salisbury Plains you can see plenty of tanks on manoeuvres. There are various military tattoos and parades if that is your thing.
The answer is management not exclusion. Along with many organisations it seems that the lack of staffing has a knock on effect, so the answer is obviously to ban everyone - collective responsibility

Last edited:
When people stay in an area known for birdwatching with substantial access to beaches and coastal paths, and then you take it away from them (even for a limited period) those people then wonder if they would be better off going elsewhere...

Yes, in that scenario, they probably would ;)

But seriously, do you really find it objectionable that some sensitive breeding areas are temporarily fenced off to allow birds, highly vulnerable to pedestrian disturbance, to brood and fledge chicks safely? Not to mention other fauna and vulnerable plant species whose ecology is confined to marsh or dune habitats already under pressure through agricultural or climatic influences.

The answer is management not exclusion.

Exactly. If you care to read the results of the NE consultation, (I posted links on another East Anglican thread) which arose in response to the opening up/extension of the ECP that improves public access (England Coastal Path) they recommend better enforcement of existing restrictions and existing management plans. With the exception of the dunes at Holme, I dont believe there are any further curtailments suggested, just better signage, better fencing and increase of voluntary wardening in response to members of the public ignoring or even destroying fencing and defacing signage. In fact, NE concludes that there will be no significant impact as a result of the ECP route on most of the sensitive sites that are currently being managed, providing existing management strategies are better implemented, that to date, btw, were largely funded by the EU LIFE projects which comes to an end this year.

btw my first post said ‘flora and flora’ which was a typo. I meant ‘flora and fauna of course.

Ps. Personally speaking, maybe this discussion should move to a new thread if its going to develop into a protracted rant, since this one, imo, is better served to discuss sightings/local patch movements etc

...I am thinking about buying a house near Blakeney, the intention is to rent this property out, but until we know where we stand with potential changes, that is now on hold. In what is a very difficult property market, things like this will not help and will inevitably effect house prices.

I would just add, if I may, the main factor impacting on house prices on the Norfolk coast is flood risk due to an eroding coastline in many areas and the high premiums for flood insurance (flood re is not available for rented out properties where the policy holder does not live at the property for all or some of the time and, inter alia, if the house was built after 2009, so think carefully where you chose to buy a house to rent out on the Norfolk coast and how high your insurance premiums could be!

A bit of background reading wouldn’t hurt on the role sand dunes and coastal marsh play as a buffer zone in flood risk areas. Building seawalls in a constantly shifting sandy coastline is just rearranging the chairs on the titanic if we don’t protect marsh and dune habitats in the long term. It’s all connected you see ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back