• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (17 Viewers)

Another unexpected encounter on my walk along Gorleston prom today. A superb female Kestrel was moving along the prom perching on the railings and flying onto the grass, the beach and the prom itself picking up insects and other food. It was a great source of curiosity for the people present and was allowing them to get within a few metres. Apparently it had been doing it for a couple of hours.

Ron

The released (as in NOT escaped!) White-tailed Eagle at Holkham yesterday: a gorgeous bird, albeit a little tatty!

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 25
  • best.jpg
    best.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 25
  • kite eagle.jpg
    kite eagle.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 25
The first Swifts have arrived! About 20-25 under the overcast, initially in 3 groups at different altitudes at 0805 today (Sunday), the lowest groups screaming around the houses, those above them circling or feeding.
MJB

Are there any Stone Curlews at Weeting Heath this year? I am only a very occasional visitor to Norfolk but will have the chance of calling here and at Lakenheath next week. I can't seem to find any contemporary information on the NWT web site.

Are there any Stone Curlews at Weeting Heath this year? I am only a very occasional visitor to Norfolk but will have the chance of calling here and at Lakenheath next week. I can't seem to find any contemporary information on the NWT web site.
At least one on view from West Hide at Weeting last week

Rose coloured starling in my garden this afternoon for a few minutes. Had a bath and a snack on our feeders and left to the west. Poor record shot through dirty window!

As a not very dedicated birder what's the current best way to report rarity sightings in Norfolk?

I see there is a Montagu's Harrier reported at Dersingham. I had a male hunting at Courtyard Farm Ringstead 2 weeks ago but understand they are sightings that are kept a bit quiet in case they are nesting nearby. I did report it to the RSPB at the time,

Attachments

• P1000419.JPG
    P1000419.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I see there is a Montagu's Harrier reported at Dersingham. I had a male hunting at Courtyard Farm Ringstead 2 weeks ago but understand they are sightings that are kept a bit quiet in case they are nesting nearby. I did report it to the RSPB at the time,
Happened to be at Cley on the 27th when the Montagu‘s flew over twice, somebody else identified it, , nobody in the visitors centre saw it first time!
we often visit and stay at Titchwell, was sad to find Infocus had closed, but Cley spy was decent too.

Happened to be at Cley on the 27th when the Montagu‘s flew over twice, somebody else identified it, , nobody in the visitors centre saw it first time!
we often visit and stay at Titchwell, was sad to find Infocus had closed, but Cley spy was decent too.
The old Infocus building is now extended and is a holiday rental but part of the planning conditions was that the retail space was retained to provide jobs (!) Currently available to let if you fancy running a small shop in Titchwell.

Rose-coloured starling present all week so far, check power lines and roofs near bus stop in village centre.

The old Infocus building is now extended and is a holiday rental but part of the planning conditions was that the retail space was retained to provide jobs (!) Currently available to let if you fancy running a small shop in Titchwell.

Rose-coloured starling present all week so far, check power lines and roofs near bus stop in village centre.
Very many thanks indeed, Alan. Much appreciated. A few us of have enjoyed this lovely bird now, as you probably know. (I took a few photos myself this afternoon - see cleybirds.com :) .)

Just catching up here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back