• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

Silver-studded reported from cornwall yesterday - so ours could be out sometime in the next fortnight. White admiral pupae have been seen so not long for them either - first week in june could be hectic - if it isn't a washout.

Stoke Ferry Overflow Channel

Common blue, small heath and these

Attachments

• Grizzled Skipper Overflow Channel 18 May 2011.jpg
    Grizzled Skipper Overflow Channel 18 May 2011.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Brown Argus of a pair Overflow Channel 18 May 2011.jpg
    Brown Argus of a pair Overflow Channel 18 May 2011.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Green Hairstreak Overflow Channel 18 May 2011.jpg
    Green Hairstreak Overflow Channel 18 May 2011.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 66
Wall Butterflies

Not sure if this is of interest or if the county recorder reads these posts but I saw 2 Wall butterflies during a week-end stay in north norfolk:

14/5 - one at Holkham Fresh Marsh from the viewing area off the A149
15/5 - one at Titchwell RSPB near the saltmarsh area

Nick

It is, I do and thanks.
Large Skipper reported flying today. And a report of peacock caterpillars, which is good news after last years crash.
Not had a lot of reports of small copper - anyone seen many?

I think I saw a small heath today along on the bank leading from Gypsy lane to Brancaster golf course. Unfortunately, in the stiff westerly wind, it was in and out of sight too quickly to be certain. Also a wall brown, speckled wood, small white and large white.

Saw a Small Copper at Holme on Thursday along with Wall Brown, Small Heath, Common & Holly Blue and 4 Cinnabar moth.

Y'day opposite the pay hut at Holme a Green Hairstreak was sun bathing on some Japanese Rose.

Rob.

Small copper yesterday at the Swanton Novers raptor watchpoint and a couple a few weeks ago at Stiffkey. Still no common blues at Swanton yet !

A wander for butterflies around East Ruston Common was kind of curtailed by the ferocious wind and all I saw were 2 Small Heath...

James

Where have all the butterflies gone ?

Horrified today to walk through Haveringland forestry and see ONE BUTTERFLY !

A Large White.

2 small moths and a couple of dragons.

It was warm and (mostly) quite sheltered from the strong wind.

Plenty of butterflies at Holme on Saturday, but in less windy conditions. Good numbers of Common Blues and Small Heath, plus a few Brown Argus and Wall Brown and one Green Hairstreak.

Yet to make a trip out to see Grizzled Skippers - am I still in time and is Stoke Ferry Cut-off Channel the best bet? Any tips would be gratefully received.

Yes, still flying as of last wednesday. Either the cut-off channel or Foulden Common (tf7500) are your best bet - hopefully less wind than today - I was tetrad bashing and in eight tetrads I only managed single whites in three and nothing in the other five.
Yesterday at Barton Broad we had a single swallowtail, but it zipped past on the wind too fast for many to see it.

Foulden Common

Spent couple of hours on the common yesterday. Common Blues most notable on the wing as well as day-flying moths including; Mother Shipton, Burnet Companion, Latticed Heath and Common Heath.

Personally saw one Grizzled Skipper, although another observer had 7-8 sightings of at least two. Other butterflies observed included a Brown Argus and a female Brimstone which I tried my best to turn into a Large White as it flew past! Heard report of a Small Copper onsite too.

No sign of any Dingy Skippers, nor apparently at Stoke Ferry where an observer had picked up 9 Grizzleds after a lengthy search. My understanding is that Dingy Skippers usually peak during first week of June however unclear whether this has been impacted by the current dry conditions?

Attachments

• DSC_0767.JPG
    DSC_0767.JPG
    317.6 KB · Views: 69
Yes Dingy's seem to have gone over already, which is surprising. I don't think the draught helped.

In other news there was a broad-bordered bee hawk in my garden this evening. Presumably just in off, so keep an eye out if you're about the east coast this weekend.

Strumpshaw Fen today held 3 Swallowtail (2 in and around the garden and 1 on the reserve) Brimstone, Large White, Orange Tip, Brown Argus, Red Admiral, Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell.
Cheers,
Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back