• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (2 Viewers)

While walking down for the Greenish at Winterton today, i spotted what at first i took to be a day flying bat because of its size, but it turned out to be a butterfly. Although i watched it for maybe 3mins before i lost sight of it i never got a clear view of it. Could it have been a large or scares tort?

I spotted this on a window of our stairwell. Is it a moth or butterfly ?

Attachments

• 10687169_10152533904620753_7555812965663975090_n.jpg
    10687169_10152533904620753_7555812965663975090_n.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 81
A scarce tortoiseshell reported with photos from Hempnall. It was disturbed from hibernation "from the cupboard under the TV - where the Sky and BluRay boxes are kept"

This is the first record of a hibernating scarce tort for the uk, and suggests that there must be several more out there waiting to re-emerge next spring. It was released into the garden that day, and presumably has gone to ground in a shed or rabbit hole someone in the vicinity.

Three reports of White Admiral in the last week. These are a second brood - traditionally nearly always reported from Holkham, but this time one was at Wells wood, one at Hickling (over several days) and the other at ken hill wood. Worth keeping an eye out for.

Another Clouded Yellow

Another Clouded Yellow yesterday - this time working along a roadside hedge on the back road from Ingoldisthorpe to Dersingham. A rather late Swallowtailed Moth was something of a surprise in the trap this morning. Ray Roche

A rather late Swallowtailed Moth was something of a surprise in the trap this morning. Ray Roche

Apparently they can have a partial second generation at this time of year, seemingly the same as the Buff Footman I had 2 night's ago. A Single-dotted Wave last night was another late moth. Seems quite a few species are around late this year...

Unconfirmed report from yesterday of a crimson speckled moth west of lady Anne's drive on twitter at the mo. Looking forward to the photo, just wish it was me on Friday!

Crimson Speckled, Burnham Overy Dunes, 18 Oct

Unconfirmed report from yesterday of a crimson speckled moth west of lady Anne's drive on twitter at the mo. Looking forward to the photo, just wish it was me on Friday!

Some of you may have heard that a Crimson Speckled was found by day at Burnham Overy Dunes on Saturday 18th Oct. A quick summary of the encounter - with apologies for not knowing enough about moths to get the news out! This is a tale of ignorance not suppression...

Tom Stuart and I were birding from Burnham Overy to Wells on Sat 18 Oct, looking for migrants. About 200m west of the westernmost tip of Holkham Pines, which I think is still technically Burnham Overy Dunes, we flushed a white moth from the sandy turf. It landed a few metres away. Looking through bins, I was astonished to see red marks alongside the black spots. I took a few photos before it flew north (well, was blown north in the strong S wind) and landed out of sight. Photo attached: unprocessed, off the camera.

I only started mothing this summer. While I couldn't put a name to the moth, it seemed familiar. I thus assumed it was something common that I hadn't encountered thus far - ie it was in the WILDGuides Dayflying Moths book. When I got home that evening, a quick scan of the WILDGuide and of 'what's flying now' on Norfolk Moths failed to reveal anything like it. But this has happened to me before - and basically means I need to look harder at the website or more critically at my images.

I was on the coast again the next day, so didn't get another chance to check the moth ID until Sunday 19th evening. This time I flicked through the condensed moth guide, and quickly found Crimson Speckled, listed as 'Immigrant'. A quick Google Image check suggested that was the correct ID, even if our insect seemed to have more faded red than most pics. A scan of Norfolk Moths revealed no mention.

By now, i was getting worried. Immigrant + no Norfolk records? This could be rare! UKMoths suggested there were c100 UK records. Jeez! I had scr*wed up. I quickly emailed Sacha Barbato, and asked him if i was going mad or whether I had indeed jammed a Norfolk first. He confirmed the latter - and was understandably frustrated at me not id'ing the moth and disseminating the news more quickly. For which - fellow NorfolkMothers - I am really am very sorry. I shall spend the winter enconsced in my fieldguides and be a better Moth-er next year...

James

Attachments

• _CL_0926.jpg
    _CL_0926.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 183
Congrats, suitably gripping photo too!
Nice find and a 1st for norfolk, not everyday you can say that!
To think I was there on Friday hurts just a little...

Clouded Yellow flew along the cliff-top just south east of Mundesley this morning and a Small White was along the cliff-top adjacent to Bacton gas terminal. Yesterday there was a well marked Large White in a garden in Great Moulton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back