• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Delights (1 Viewer)

Started off from Cotgrave at 7:30 with a Green Woodpecker at the industrial estate. I planned to go straight to Holme to catch the high tide and forgot it does not open until 10:00. I should know this as a volunteered there many years ago and have been twice since and the gates were shut3:) After spinning the car around the warden arrived and let me in. On my arrival a flock of about 150 Pink-footed Geese came in and descended onto the grazing marsh by a slow spiral which made some sight.
My first scan of the high tide revealed 2 Great-crested Grebes and nothing else. Then a flock of Starlings appeared about 400m out at sea following the coast west wards and into the Wash, followed by more farmland birds namely: Lapwings and a couple of Skylarks. Fortunately catching these up was a drake Long-tailed Duck. I think I will go to my grave regretting I've not seen enough of, what in my humble opinion, is the most attractive duck there is. Scanning back to the GCGrebes 2 Velvet Scoters appeared. When I looked there were 3 Red-throated Divers in front of me, and a party of 6 Red-breasted Mergansers. More sea birds with Gannets, 2 Razorbills and Kittiwake. More Divers appeared then plenty of Common Scoter.
Thorham Harbour started well with 3 Lapland Bunting overhead and towards the stubble field. There was plenty of Rock Pipits and commoner waders close to.
Titchwell was quiet until the end when in Parrinder Hide 3 Twite arrived for a drink (one sporting a bright pink ring). Seeing some movement in the cut reeds revealed a Water Pipit and thanks to a helicopter spooking the Brent Geese back to fresh water marsh I managed to pick out the Brant at my fourth scan of the flock. It was getting dark and murky by now but Cettis Warbler, barn Owl and Woodcock rounded off the day well.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back