• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Dragon/Damselflies reports/news (2 Viewers)

Also one Hairy Dragonfly at Horsey Mere yesterday and one Large Red Damselfly. Several more Large Red Damselflies at Martham South Broad.

A friend of mine told me that he had four Four-spotted Chasers emerge from his Sprowston garden pond on 30th.

A dozen or so Variable Damselflies were along a short stretch of riverbank at Buckenham Marsh yesterday and presumably there were many more. Also one Hairy Dragonfly hawking along one of the ditches.

First banded demoiselle of the year out at UEA today, one with a slightly curled in wing, unable to fly but at least allowed good views of it.

I've lost track of what has already been reported, but at strumpshaw this week I have had
Variable and azure blue, (large) red eyed and large red damsels, banded demoiselle, scarce chaser and hairy dragonfly 4 spot also reported. No sign of common blue yet, but it's the scarcest blue on the reserve ironically.

So the species list is slowly increasing but number of individuals on the wing are certainly rising quickly, good to have them back

Lots of Damsels in the garden yesterday, mainly Large Red and Azure (both species ovipositing in the pond) but a couple of Common Blues also about and at least 3 Blue-tailed. Something larger zipped through, unfortunately way too quickly to be identified.

Is there a good site for Variable Damsel in Norwich, preferably out Costessey way?

The first Banded Demoiselle in my garden this year was resting on Water Avens this afternoon. A few Large Red and a single male Azure Damselfly were also about, with a couple of female blues also present. c100 Mayflies were also dancing over the lawn.

Emperor dragonfly ( male ) at Swanton Novers yesterday ( Friday). Loys of azure, common blue and large red damselflies out now. Banded damoiselles out along the river Stiffkey.

I received my copy of the new Atlas of Dragonflies of Britain and Ireland today, which looks excellent. I particularly like the habitat photos, which may prove handy when looking for particular species. In a Norfolk context I was surprised by the amount of squares with Scarce Emerald Damselfly records, and similarly some records of Beautiful Demoiselle in NW Norfolk.

Norfolk Hawkers

Dozens around Strumpshaw today, including some very photogenic individuals by the 'crosstracks' and in the Dr's Meadow. Loads of Hairies and plenty of Scarce Chasers still.

At Repps yesterday, an innocuous looking farm track, but with a good wild edge to it provided me with four new dragonflies for the year with Emperor, Norfolk Hawker and Black-tailed Skimmer. The fourth was a darter - most likely Common Darter - which surprised me as it was about a month earlier than my earliest ever. As usual, this was the one that gave the briefest and most awkward view but it was a female / immature, small, and had almost jet black pterostigma on the one wing which I could see clearly. Could this be an early Common Darter (too early?) or just wishful thinking on my part?

Eyes of soft chocolate

Yesterday found me driving past Bacton Woods- as one does- on the way to Sainsbury's.

A photogenic Broad-bodied Chaser (in the car parking area) had unco-operative Norfolk Hawkers as companions. They must have learned from their avian confrères further east.

Attachments

• 261pse.jpg
    261pse.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 61
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back