• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Dragon/Damselflies reports/news (1 Viewer)

There shouldn't be any of these within a good 100 miles.

If it was on its own in the breeding season, this would be a Cordulegaster disaster.

In fact the continent's closer than uk habitat for boltonii...
And everything else was coming over on the 17th.
Interesting.

Willow Emeralds

Two in their usual ditch at Strumpshaw today, as well as Brown, Southern and Migrant Hawker. Still plenty of Scarce Chasers along Lackford Run. Emperors still patrolling at the pool-side café at the business park...

Attachments

• Willow En.jpg
    Willow En.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Southerrn Haweker.jpg
    Southerrn Haweker.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Scarce Chaser.jpg
    Scarce Chaser.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Emperor.jpg
    Emperor.jpg
    630 KB · Views: 58
One that, possibly, got away!

An early start at Upton Fen with Norman & Brian was pleasantly productive, with good views of the usual odonata (hundreds of Brown Hawkers, a few Emperors and Southerns, Common & Ruddy Darters, B T Skimmer etc) as well as good numbers of freshly-emerged Migrant Hawkers.

A stroll along the raised wall produced Wall Brown and a very tatty Painted Lady, as well as a delightful adult Crane.

Walking back to the carpark, we noticed a very large, very dark dragonfly with bright yellow rings all the along its body. Sadly, it didn't settle, whizzing past and away at high speed....

Attachments

• Migrant best.jpg
    Migrant best.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Migrant.jpg
    Migrant.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 59
There were three small red-eyed damsels on Thorpe Marriott pond at midday today, the third year in succession I've recorded them there.

Stew

Was pleased to come across a group of around 10 male Small Red-eyed Damselflies at a large wildlife pond at Thurne, east Norfolk on Monday. How common and widespread is this species in Norfolk these days? I don't come across them very often myself.
Also of interest was a male Black-tailed Skimmer which caught a damselfly (not a Small Red-eyed fortunately) and consumed the whole thing in less than five minutes!

Last edited:
2 male red veined darters still at Kelling Meadows yesterday. Keeled skimmers, not many, down in the bog at Holt Lowes.

Hi,
I will be over next week for a holiday and am hoping to look for some Dragon/damselflies.
My only problem is I will be walking my dog at the same time (on the lead at all times as I cant trust the little pig) so this means every NWT reserve is out of bounds but can any tell me where would be good to look?
Ill be staying near Sheringham but nowhere is out of bounds in Norfolk really. So far on my dog friendly hit list are:

Winterton dunes (will the Southern Emeralds still be about next week?)
Holt Lowes

Anywhere that small red-eyed, red-eyed or Broad Bodied chaser are possible would be really great too

Thanks

If you are going to Holt Lowes then call in at the pond in the country park for Broad-bodied Chasers (getting towards the end of the flight season though?).

Felbrigg Hall lake has Small Red-eyed Damselflies.

If you visit the Norwich area then there is a stretch of the River Yare at Eaton with Willow Emerald that you could visit with a dog (car park is north of Eaton Street).

Nearby there are Red-eyed Damselflies at Whitlingham C.P. - a small population on the broad itself and some on the river, usually on water lily pads. I have attached a map with red dots to show the approximate locations. Note that you should be able to see them but they are hard to photograph (and I'm sure someone has a better site closer to Sheringham!). At the weekend there was still a Norfolk Hawker out at Thorpe Marsh, so you may catch one of those too.

Good luck,
James

Hi,
I will be over next week for a holiday and am hoping to look for some Dragon/damselflies.
My only problem is I will be walking my dog at the same time (on the lead at all times as I cant trust the little pig) so this means every NWT reserve is out of bounds but can any tell me where would be good to look?
Ill be staying near Sheringham but nowhere is out of bounds in Norfolk really. So far on my dog friendly hit list are:

Holt Lowes

Anywhere that small red-eyed, red-eyed or Broad Bodied chaser are possible would be really great too

Thanks

Attachments

• Whitlingham Red-eyed damsels.jpg
    Whitlingham Red-eyed damsels.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 67
Hi,

Holt Lowes

Thanks

Small red-eyed damsels on the river in the garden of the riverside pub in Costessey (pub name begins with B).

James

Hi,

Holt Lowes

Thanks

Just a word of caution from a fellow dog owner, both of these sites hold good populations of Adders...

Atb,

James

Small red-eyed damsels on the river in the garden of the riverside pub in Costessey (pub name begins with B).

James

I hold out hope that they may yet discover my garden pond then!!!
Last year there were absolutely loads of Small Red-eyes at Queens Hills, but I haven't looked this year yet...

I hold out hope that they may yet discover my garden pond then!!!
Last year there were absolutely loads of Small Red-eyes at Queens Hills, but I haven't looked this year yet...

Chris

Does this mean the site is new? If so, it was a good (if random) beer stop before we moved up from London into our new house down the road in New Costessey. Hope to meet some of you when out and about.

cheers

James

Chris

Does this mean the site is new? If so, it was a good (if random) beer stop before we moved up from London into our new house down the road in New Costessey. Hope to meet some of you when out and about.

cheers

James

Don't know James, I haven't heard of them there but that doesn't mean they haven't been recorded there previously. Significantly for me, I live between the pub and Queens Hills, so it's possible they may find my garden at some point. At 16 species, I'm not sure if there are many other possible new ones left...

Just a word of caution from a fellow dog owner, both of these sites hold good populations of Adders...

Atb,

James

Thanks. I will be keeping her on a close lead and on the paths that I will be on so hopefully that will be enough to keep her away from Adders!

I think had small red-eyed damselfly at Felbrigg in the week, did I get the ID right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 108
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back