• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Flora (1 Viewer)

Have had Early Purple Orchids flowering over the past couple of days.
Went to Hoe Rough to look for Green-winged Orchids for the first time, but had no sign. Does anyone know where they are there?

A mass-opening of Cuckoo Pint today at Whitlingham, present around the middle car park and ruins of Trowse Newton Hall.

Attachments

• Cuckoo Pint (599x800).jpg
    Cuckoo Pint (599x800).jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 53
Having seen the Roller this evening (hurrah), I stopped on the way back to photograph Wood Horsetail, particularly rare in Norfolk.

Attachments

• Horsetail (600x800).jpg
    Horsetail (600x800).jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 80
Is it cos there is few bees around, Robert ?

As for this unpleasant complaint, suggest a naturally-based deodorant.

[In jest (!). I am averse to smilies.]

lol!

Think it maybe a Holme thing... Common Spotted is few and far between there too but other sites we visited Saturday were carpeted with the buggers.

Obviously still in Orchid mode from the weekend as today while at work in the middle of King's Lynn I found (well I had been told they were present in the park but no one I know had seen them ever) two spikes of Bee Orchid!

Selection of flowers at Beeston today,,,
Common Spotted Orchid, Great Sundew, Bog Bean and Pugsley's Marsh Orchid.

Attachments

• Beeston Flowers 29.6.13 001.jpg
    Beeston Flowers 29.6.13 001.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 47
  • Beeston Flowers 29.6.13 019.jpg
    Beeston Flowers 29.6.13 019.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Beeston Flowers 29.6.13 051.jpg
    Beeston Flowers 29.6.13 051.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Beeston Flowers 29.6.13 009.jpg
    Beeston Flowers 29.6.13 009.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 75
Hi Keiran.

The shape of the flower doesn't look like any of the Fragrant Orchids to me. The colour is quite similar though, so I can see why you thought it. I have a feeling from the flower shape that it is a hybrid with at least one (if not two) Dactylorhiza parent(s). The lack of markings on the lip is interesting though. Hopefully a more experienced orchider can elucidate further.

Not too sure over the ID of this Orchid at Holt Lowes today. On first inspection I thought it to be Marsh Fragrant, but I have not seen this species before and am a little unsure. Photo in link, below.

Thanks in advance.

Kieran

http://showingwell.com/photo-gallery/andalucia-spain-2012/#jp-carousel-2719

Better link - http://showingwell.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/img_8917.jpg

Hi Keiran.

The shape of the flower doesn't look like any of the Fragrant Orchids to me. The colour is quite similar though, so I can see why you thought it. I have a feeling from the flower shape that it is a hybrid with at least one (if not two) Dactylorhiza parent(s). The lack of markings on the lip is interesting though. Hopefully a more experienced orchider can elucidate further.

Hey James,

I didn't have any literature on me at the time and was going almost completely on colour and the fact that the lip showed nothing in the way of markings, not even partial spotting. I am used to seeing very, very pale Common Spots with almost no markings on them, but nothing this colour.

Thanks again, buddy.

Have a couple more plants for ID, will pop them up soon.

Kieran

Beeston Common

Some pics from 3.9.13

Grass of Parnassus, Dodder, Old Man's Beard and Goldenrod.

Attachments

• Beeston Common 3.9.13 1248.jpg
    Beeston Common 3.9.13 1248.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Beeston Common 3.9.13 1256.jpg
    Beeston Common 3.9.13 1256.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 65
Wild Garlic aka Ramsons

Please look out for this and the rare/scarce/under-recorded hoverfly on which it is dependent: Portevinia maculata.

Black abdomen, with squarish grey markings and orange antennae.

Report patches of the Garlic to Stuart Paston (stuartpaston AT yahoo.co.uk) or Tony Irwin (tony.irwin AT btinternet.com).

Even better, spot one of the hovers: see http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2983823&postcount=85

It’s best to visit when the sun shines !

It's been a great year for some of the more difficult to see Norfolk Orchids. Several spikes of Lesser-butterfly Orchid in the county included this 'well-watched' spike on the north coast and at least 23 spikes of Green-flowered Helleborine are at one site (perhaps a county record), although unfortunately largely unreachable now due to surrounding vegetation!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 32
  • 3gfh.jpg
    3gfh.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 6gfh.jpg
    6gfh.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 55
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back