• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Harrier (1 Viewer)

JamesA

Crap Birder
Hi all

Had a brief glimpse of this ringtail harrier this afternoon in deepest eastern Norfolk. I've got it down as either a late hen harrier or an early monties. I observed for about twenty seconds then snapped a few shots as it departed. The flight was relatively bouncy, yet purposeful - not the drifty/floppy style of marsh harriers, yet neither as light as straight and strong as I associate with hen or as bouyant as monties. Having said that, neither hen or monties are species I have vast amounts of experience with so I could be wrong...

The bird was slim in wing and body, but then both monties and hen feel slim to me.

Apologies for the photos. These are cropped but not zoomed, and judging by the quality and the heat haze I don't think there's enough to go on here. But it's worth a try... :p

Thanks.

Attachments

• harrier.jpg
    harrier.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 259
  • harrier2.jpg
    harrier2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 175
  • harrier3.jpg
    harrier3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 175
I'm getting an overall female Hen feel to the 1st photo.

Wide white rump, deeper arm than I'd expect on a Monty's, and, with a bit of imagination, I reckon you could claim 5 fingers to the primaries.

IMHO.

Although the ID is unlikely to be resolved with any conviction, I would put my money on Hen. I would have thought the dark mark on the secondaries of a Montys would show up in pic 1.

Last edited:
I've got it down as either a late hen harrier or an early monties.

Can't comment on the ID based on these photos, but I'd point out that early April isn't especially late for spring migrant Hen Harriers in Norfolk whereas it would be very early for Monty's. In late April the tables are turned - although last year I saw Hen Harriers in May (and this remained at least into June) and another in August.

fingered wingtips which alone seems enough for a Hen in my experience (albeit fairly limited!) though I have found a Monty's on my local patch which definitely had falcon like wings without fingers

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back