• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk: other insects (1 Viewer)

here are a few from my garden/house... I think that the first one is Palloptera muliebris I haven't noticed one before. No idea what the second one is so would be very interested if anyone does know. My attempts to get a hoverfly flight shot continue, this is the best so far, I'll keep trying.

Your second shot appears to be an adult Froghopper; it's what the tiny yellowish creatures that live within 'cuckoo spit' transform into. This unfortunate one has mites attached...

James

Your second shot appears to be an adult Froghopper; it's what the tiny yellowish creatures that live within 'cuckoo spit' transform into. This unfortunate one has mites attached...

James

hi James

thanks for the info, I will look in the garden later and try and find a healthy one.

This blue-eyed fly was in my kitchen yesterday. Having done a quick search, I believe it to be Chrysops relictus, but if anyone knows any different, please let me know!

Attachments

• DSCF3788.JPG
    DSCF3788.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 73
here are a few from my garden/house... I think that the first one is Palloptera muliebris I haven't noticed one before. No idea what the second one is so would be very interested if anyone does know. My attempts to get a hoverfly flight shot continue, this is the best so far, I'll keep trying.

FYI
Your hoverfly is Episyrphus balteatus (marmalade hoverfly)

First glance suggests not I'm afraid Chris.

Pat

No worries, although it looks very similar, allowing for different lighting effects (but I'm barely a novice lol). Can anyone help with an id? It was the biggest hoverfly I've ever seen! (unless it's not a hoverfly at all!).

The first 2 photos were taken in my garden yesterday, the other photo at Queen's Hills today. Anyone able to id them, particularly the third one?

Attachments

• DSCF3876.JPG
    DSCF3876.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF3877.JPG
    DSCF3877.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF3915.JPG
    DSCF3915.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 50
Heliophilus pendulus
Episyphus balteus
Volucella pellucens

(apologies if I get the spelling wrong on any of those - my latin's rusty)

Two very large representatives of different families of flies seen today. A Vollucella zonaria hover-fly was in Gt Yarmouth cemetery and a Tabanus sudeticus horse-fly was at Cantley BF.

Can anyone identify this 'hopper for me, which I nearly trod on in my garden today? I had a look online and found a couple of pics of Slender Groundhopper which seemed pretty close but I'm not convinced...

Attachments

• 20130902_170356_resized (1).jpg
    20130902_170356_resized (1).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 88
It certainly looks like one of the groundhoppers (either Common or Slender). Could the pale bits be parts of shed skin?

Can anyone identify this 'hopper for me, which I nearly trod on in my garden today? I had a look online and found a couple of pics of Slender Groundhopper which seemed pretty close but I'm not convinced...

It certainly looks like one of the groundhoppers (either Common or Slender). Could the pale bits be parts of shed skin?

Hi James,

I guess it could be shed skin but I would've thought the pattern was too symmetrical for this, as this view from above shows. I don't know much about 'hoppers though, skin shedding or otherwise!

Chris

Attachments

• Groundhopper.jpg
    Groundhopper.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 71
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back