• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North America mammal book recommendation (1 Viewer)

nicklittlewood

Off to California in a few weeks, birding and general bodging about. Was looking also into getting a North America mammal field guide. A search on Amazon throws up a Peterson Guide (2006), a Kaufman Guide (2007) and a Princetown Guide (2009). Does anyone have a recommendation from among these (or others)?

Thanks

Nick Littlewood

I made a spontaneous purchase of the Kaufman guide in a park shop about a month ago, and so far it looks fine to me. It is good enough that I could id a cottontail to species from an area with several competing possibilities.

No experience with the alternatives

Niels

I can recommend the Peterson guide which I've owned for several years. Good species accounts & maps & well-illustrated with both paintings & photos.

Just to sow utter confusion, I have the Princeton guide (2nd edition) which I served me well last year. Anyone out there got all three so that they can give a balaned judgement?

I have all three:

IMHO, Kaufman and Peterson are roughly equivalent as far as value goes. Both are pretty up to date (although Peterson may slightly edge out Kaufman).

Petersen is the most comprehensive guide available, and has excellent illustrations, but the separation of plates and text make the guide annoying as hell to use (and really, for most mammals, range information and habitat preference is key, so having to flip back and forth is a pain in the ass)

Kaufman is smaller and easy to carry, and range maps, photos, and text are all on one page. This is usually my field guide of choice. Some of the pictures however may be less useful for some mammal groups, especially small rodents, shrews, etc. And the Peterson generally has more descriptive text, which can come in handy for tough ideas.

I actually loath the Princeton guide with every shred of my being. It has a similar format to Kaufman, but uses illustrations, not edited photos. However some of the illustrations are completely abysmal. The woodrats, rabbits, and shrews all are drawn strangely, and have a vaguely "overly muscular" look about them. Others just look off in weird ways hard to describe such as the otters plate. My edition, although not a thick or large book, was given a hardbound cover, which also makes it hard to stuff in a pocket comfortably, unless you want to risk screwing up the covers.

So yeah, I would go with Kaufman, or Peterson. If you are really hardcore into mammals and are expecting to try to see various mice or whatnot, I would probably suggest getting both. I might give the slight edge to Kaufman if I had to choose one or the other.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back