• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

North American Raptors (1 Viewer)

Mickster1000

Mickster1000
Is there a good illustrated guide to North American raptors.

I should be honest and state that it's the artwork I really like and have no real intention to use such a book in the field - I'd use my Sibleys for that.

I guess that I really like illustrated guides and own Gensbol, Naoroji and Ferguson- Lee (albeit the Helm paperback and not the full guide). I await Clark's African Raptors next year and I'm interested in John Cantelo's review of the Olsen/Tofte Danish book.

Alderfer's Nat. Geo. Birds of North America sites proudly on my bookshelves and the artwork is great. However, I would like to own a more in-depth illustrated North American raptor guide.

Any helpful suggestions would be very much appreciated

Mickster1000

Mickster1000
Thank you very much for the info.

I might get a copy of the Peterson. Amazon "market place" are offering a v. good copy for less than £8.00, inc. P&P.

It looks like there's a gap in the market. Not just for people like me; but for the whole N. American birding community.

jedigrant

I've either read or heard (can't remember now) that Brian Wheeler was working on another raptor guide, but this one using his illustrations, not photos. I don't even know if that's still in the works, but if so it certainly isn't close to publication.

I know it's not paintings, and the approach doesn't work for everyone, but at least check out Crossley's raptor guide. I think it's not only great helping you learn ID, but very aesthetically pleasing as well.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread