• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Carolina Blackbird (1 Viewer)

sfcmikej

United States
Hello all,

I am trying to identify a black bird frequenting my back yard. About the size of a Cardinal. The color is a grayish black with no significant other markings. Small head, black eyes, black long narrow beak, short tail feathers. Groups of them like to drink and splash in the bird bath. Looking through some of my books no typical black bird has these characteristics. At first I thought it may be a Grackle but the short tail and black eyes seem to indicate it is not. Thanks.

Mike

Perhaps an immature Blackbird?

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

There are bunches of them. I have seen at least 8 in the bird bath at the same time. Would there be that many juveniles in an area? They are too small to be crows and don't have their distinctive call. I will try to get a picture of them but don't really have the equipment for great bird pics.

Mike

Forresttwicher,

Your link to that picture is pretty close. I thought about it being a Starling but all the pics and info I found seemed to have yellow beaks and a speckled coloring. I am very much a novice at this, thanks for the help. I am going out to try and get a decent pic. Thanks for the link.

Mike

Last edited:
...Starling but all the pics and info I found seemed to have yellow beaks and a speckled coloring
That's what fresh-plumaged adult starlings look like. Adults in early summer and (even more so) juveniles look entirely different. Juvenile starling fits your original description just fine 👍🏻

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back