• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Mallorca (1 Viewer)

Ian Bell

Supporter
Scotland
I have just returned from a holiday In Puerto Pollenca,In Mallorca
Before I go Into detail,I should point out,I was with my non birding Wife,so most of my birding,was done early In the morning,therefore,not taking away any family holiday time and also,I do not drive,so walking and local Bus/Taxi was my way of getting around.
I have visited the north of Mallorca many times,over the last 12 years,so I knew about most of the prime sites to visit but my travel was restricted,due to the above mentioned reasons.I shall mention the sites I visited and what I seen from memory.Finally,many thanks to two Birdforum Members,Mike Montier for his fantastic help over the years and his regular posting on the Mallorca thread and also to Geordie Dave,who gave me some great up to date Information,while I was over.

S'Albufera Reserve; I visited the Reserve twice,while I was there and what a fantastic place It Is.First birds seen,were a pair of female Red crested Pochard,sleeping on a Pool,to the left as you enter the Reserve.On the way up the road to the Visitor Centre a Hoopoe was In the Pines and a brief view of a Cettis Warbler was had.There was a constant fly over of Little Egrets and numerous Glossy Ibis.Balearic Flycatchers were my constant companion on the straight road up.A couple of Night Heron were on the trees,on the opposite side of the canal.
I visited the Sa Roca Hides and the first bird I seen,sheltering In vegetation was a Woodcock.The water levels were understandably very low but the birds around,were a single Green Sandpiper,Black winged Stilts,Little Ringed Plover,Kentish Plover and Purple Gallinule.Zitting Cisticola and a family of young Stonechat's were busy In front of the Hide's.A Marsh Harrier was hunting over the back of the reeds,which started the alarm calls of the species mentioned.
After spending time In the Sa Roca Hides,I made the journey past the Visitor Centre to the Es Cibollar Hides and I watched a Little Bittern In the reeds from the small bridge over a canal and a calling Great reed Warbler was heard but kept out of sight.I also heard but could not see a singing Nightingale off the path to the Hides.
Once at the Es Cibollar Hides there was a constant "fall out" between a pair of Avocet with young and a pair of Black winged Stilts with young near the water edge.There were also Common Tern with young here as well as numerous Little Egret roosting on the Islands.Again,the area was very dry.Lovely early morning walks but It was getting very hot and It was time to return to the Apartment,after visiting.I'm glad I made the effort and It felt harder walking on flat paths In the heat,than It does walking In the hills of the Cairngorms !
S'Albufereta Reserve; Being closer to my Apartment,I made a few trips to this gem of a little Reserve.From the path along from the row of houses,the birdlife was very quickly In view.A Stonechat family were just off the path and I also seen Serin,Balearic Flycatcher,Greenfinch,Collared Dove and Sardinian Warbler as I made my way to the Sa Barcassa Hide.In the small ploughed field to the left of the path,were a couple of Hoopoe.Frome the Hide I was able to watch Kentish Plover,Black winged Stilt and Common Tern at close quarters.A Great white Egret was fishing to the left of the Hide and a Stone Curlew was sitting low on one of the Islands.Little Egrets were constantly passing the Hide.As I made my way to the small Viewing Platform,I came across a couple of Woodchat Shrike.In the fields to the left,were a couple of Stone Curlew,who on seeing me,let out their eerie calls.I also visited the larger Platform and on the open water,were Black winged Stilts,Purple Heron and Little Egrets.An Osprey was sitting on a perch and a Kestrel came In and landed on a tree nearbye.A later visit produced lots of Common Swift and I managed to pick out a single Pallid Swift among them.As I made my way back to get the bus,I had a lovely view of a Serin.
Boquer Valley; Another early start,seen me head up the Boquer Valley and as expected at this time of year,It was very quiet.First bird of note,was a Blue rock Thrush,high on top of a rock,followed by Crag Martins.The walk on the path revealed several Balearic Flycatcher and Stonechats.Near the end of the path,before It heads down to the sea,I sat on a rock and waited,then waited some more,as I felt the sun hit the back of my neck.Then eventually my patience was rewarded,when a female Balearic Warbler appeared on top of a small bush,followed by a juvenile.They flitted about the bushes In front of me,disappearing,then showing themselves again.I waited a bit longer,getting some strange looks from Joggers/Walkers In the hope of seeing a male bird but It was not to be.
La Gola/Puerto Pollenca; These area's were used more for walking than birding but I always carried my bins with me,just In case.La Gola Itself Is a lovely little place and birds seen here,Included Little Egret,Red crested Pochard plenty Balearic Flycatcher,a pair of Green Sandpiper,a couple of Hoopoe,Sardinian Warbler,Moorhen and Mallard.On the overhead wires,were many House Martin and Barn Swallows.One late evening walk In Gotmar,produced a quick view of a Barn Owl.
On the beach at Puerto Pollenca,I came across Audoins Gulls and Yellow legged Gulls.A sunrise Boat Trip to see Dolphins,8 nautical miles from the Port,allowed close up views of several Scopolis Shearwater.I had a nice surprise one morning,returning from a walk,to find a Woodchat Shrike sitting on a fence,overlooking the allotments near my Apartment.
Puerto Pollenca Back Roads/Cami Volantina; I enjoyed walking this area when the sun was rising.This allowed me close views of Cattle Egret,with several birds on top of the local Sheep.I also came across what I thought was a rather confiding Red legged Partridge,however on watching the bird,I noticed several youngsters running around It's feet.My only sightings of Booted Eagle and Red Kite came along this road.Two Raven were on Electricity Pylons opposite the road up to the Llenaire Hotel.The Pines at the side of the Cami Volantina road had quite a few Firecrest feeding youngsters,with Hoopoe,Zitting Cisticola and Stonechat along the way.

I have probably missed a few species but I type this from memory,as I go along.Perhaps not the most exciting birds to be seen on the Island but for someone from the north east of Scotland,It was a pleasure to go out and see what was about locally to where I was staying and many species I would never see at home,In probably the least exciting time of the birding year In Mallorca and hopefully,I shall be back for more next year again.

You say you might have missed some off. Thekla Lark or Nightingale? They were numerous in south east Mallorca but maybe not where you were.

I plan to travel to Mallorca in October or November. Maybe some of insectivores aren't there then but some goodies and endemics would be. What about Eleanora's Falcon, is it doable?
Have you been there in that time of year, what I can expect?

I have just returned from a holiday In Puerto Pollenca,In Mallorca
Before I go Into detail,I should point out,I was with my non birding Wife,so most of my birding,was done early In the morning,therefore,not taking away any family holiday time and also,I do not drive,so walking and local Bus/Taxi was my way of getting around.
I have visited the north of Mallorca many times,over the last 12 years,so I knew about most of the prime sites to visit but my travel was restricted,due to the above mentioned reasons.I shall mention the sites I visited and what I seen from memory.Finally,many thanks to two Birdforum Members,Mike Montier for his fantastic help over the years and his regular posting on the Mallorca thread and also to Geordie Dave,who gave me some great up to date Information,while I was over.

S'Albufera Reserve; I visited the Reserve twice,while I was there and what a fantastic place It Is.First birds seen,were a pair of female Red crested Pochard,sleeping on a Pool,to the left as you enter the Reserve.On the way up the road to the Visitor Centre a Hoopoe was In the Pines and a brief view of a Cettis Warbler was had.There was a constant fly over of Little Egrets and numerous Glossy Ibis.Balearic Flycatchers were my constant companion on the straight road up.A couple of Night Heron were on the trees,on the opposite side of the canal.
I visited the Sa Roca Hides and the first bird I seen,sheltering In vegetation was a Woodcock.The water levels were understandably very low but the birds around,were a single Green Sandpiper,Black winged Stilts,Little Ringed Plover,Kentish Plover and Purple Gallinule.Zitting Cisticola and a family of young Stonechat's were busy In front of the Hide's.A Marsh Harrier was hunting over the back of the reeds,which started the alarm calls of the species mentioned.
After spending time In the Sa Roca Hides,I made the journey past the Visitor Centre to the Es Cibollar Hides and I watched a Little Bittern In the reeds from the small bridge over a canal and a calling Great reed Warbler was heard but kept out of sight.I also heard but could not see a singing Nightingale off the path to the Hides.
Once at the Es Cibollar Hides there was a constant "fall out" between a pair of Avocet with young and a pair of Black winged Stilts with young near the water edge.There were also Common Tern with young here as well as numerous Little Egret roosting on the Islands.Again,the area was very dry.Lovely early morning walks but It was getting very hot and It was time to return to the Apartment,after visiting.I'm glad I made the effort and It felt harder walking on flat paths In the heat,than It does walking In the hills of the Cairngorms !
S'Albufereta Reserve; Being closer to my Apartment,I made a few trips to this gem of a little Reserve.From the path along from the row of houses,the birdlife was very quickly In view.A Stonechat family were just off the path and I also seen Serin,Balearic Flycatcher,Greenfinch,Collared Dove and Sardinian Warbler as I made my way to the Sa Barcassa Hide.In the small ploughed field to the left of the path,were a couple of Hoopoe.Frome the Hide I was able to watch Kentish Plover,Black winged Stilt and Common Tern at close quarters.A Great white Egret was fishing to the left of the Hide and a Stone Curlew was sitting low on one of the Islands.Little Egrets were constantly passing the Hide.As I made my way to the small Viewing Platform,I came across a couple of Woodchat Shrike.In the fields to the left,were a couple of Stone Curlew,who on seeing me,let out their eerie calls.I also visited the larger Platform and on the open water,were Black winged Stilts,Purple Heron and Little Egrets.An Osprey was sitting on a perch and a Kestrel came In and landed on a tree nearbye.A later visit produced lots of Common Swift and I managed to pick out a single Pallid Swift among them.As I made my way back to get the bus,I had a lovely view of a Serin.
Boquer Valley; Another early start,seen me head up the Boquer Valley and as expected at this time of year,It was very quiet.First bird of note,was a Blue rock Thrush,high on top of a rock,followed by Crag Martins.The walk on the path revealed several Balearic Flycatcher and Stonechats.Near the end of the path,before It heads down to the sea,I sat on a rock and waited,then waited some more,as I felt the sun hit the back of my neck.Then eventually my patience was rewarded,when a female Balearic Warbler appeared on top of a small bush,followed by a juvenile.They flitted about the bushes In front of me,disappearing,then showing themselves again.I waited a bit longer,getting some strange looks from Joggers/Walkers In the hope of seeing a male bird but It was not to be.
La Gola/Puerto Pollenca; These area's were used more for walking than birding but I always carried my bins with me,just In case.La Gola Itself Is a lovely little place and birds seen here,Included Little Egret,Red crested Pochard plenty Balearic Flycatcher,a pair of Green Sandpiper,a couple of Hoopoe,Sardinian Warbler,Moorhen and Mallard.On the overhead wires,were many House Martin and Barn Swallows.One late evening walk In Gotmar,produced a quick view of a Barn Owl.
On the beach at Puerto Pollenca,I came across Audoins Gulls and Yellow legged Gulls.A sunrise Boat Trip to see Dolphins,8 nautical miles from the Port,allowed close up views of several Scopolis Shearwater.I had a nice surprise one morning,returning from a walk,to find a Woodchat Shrike sitting on a fence,overlooking the allotments near my Apartment.
Puerto Pollenca Back Roads/Cami Volantina; I enjoyed walking this area when the sun was rising.This allowed me close views of Cattle Egret,with several birds on top of the local Sheep.I also came across what I thought was a rather confiding Red legged Partridge,however on watching the bird,I noticed several youngsters running around It's feet.My only sightings of Booted Eagle and Red Kite came along this road.Two Raven were on Electricity Pylons opposite the road up to the Llenaire Hotel.The Pines at the side of the Cami Volantina road had quite a few Firecrest feeding youngsters,with Hoopoe,Zitting Cisticola and Stonechat along the way.

I have probably missed a few species but I type this from memory,as I go along.Perhaps not the most exciting birds to be seen on the Island but for someone from the north east of Scotland,It was a pleasure to go out and see what was about locally to where I was staying and many species I would never see at home,In probably the least exciting time of the birding year In Mallorca and hopefully,I shall be back for more next year again.
Sounds like a cracking trip Mr Nevis 👍👍👍

I plan to travel to Mallorca in October or November. Maybe some of insectivores aren't there then but some goodies and endemics would be. What about Eleanora's Falcon, is it doable?
Have you been there in that time of year, what I can expect?
As far as I am aware Eleonora's Falcons depart for Africa late-October into early November, so you could be lucky at S'Albufera or more likely along Formentor Peninsula.

In October migration should be in full swing, ok some will have departed but winter visitors will be coming in, so there is always something to see, November will be quieter than October though I'd expect.

As far as I am aware Eleonora's Falcons depart for Africa late-October into early November, so you could be lucky at S'Albufera or more likely along Formentor Peninsula.

In October migration should be in full swing, ok some will have departed but winter visitors will be coming in, so there is always something to see, November will be quieter than October though I'd expect.
Thanks Nick.

I have some lovely birding memories of Mallorca, I love it to be honest.
Thank you for helping to bring those memories flooding back.
Only been there once and that was this year. We stayed in Cala D' Or a typically over developed resort but I was really impressed with the farmland habitats within walking distance of it, and the interior which, around the south east at least was a world away from the grotspot coastal resorts. We walked for hours along the narrow gravel tracks which are linked to the main roads and seldom saw anyone else but found a great number of birds in the fields and hedges.

Great area.

Public transport is cheap and frequent down the coast road to the marshes. Worth noting that cycle hire is cheap (I borrowed one for free from 0600-1000 and from 1700> as nobody hired them at those times). Due to heavy cycle visitor use from Nov>Feb there are now laws that require any vehicle driver involved in an accident with a cycle to prove that they were not to blame! I wondered why cars kept their distance.....A bike also allowed coverage of the back roads and tracks that would be both time-consuming and tiring when I went in June about 4 years ago - it enabled me to find a singing Baillon's Crake that I would not have come across had I been just walking.

Good birding -

Laurie -

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back