• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Sea Shearwater/Skua? (1 Viewer)

Gander

I saw a couple of dark brown birds sitting in amongst a flock of GBBGs, this morning. I assumed they would be Great Skua, as we have had a few about. Now looking at the photos, I'm not so sure. Beak looks slim, chests appear pale.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• DSCF4447 RSZ.JPG
    DSCF4447 RSZ.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCF4449 Crop RSZ.jpg
    DSCF4449 Crop RSZ.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCF4452 crop RSZ.jpg
    DSCF4452 crop RSZ.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 141
Be aware Balearic Shearwater is extremely rare that far north (i think one record for Shetland for example). I would still tend to go for Sooty with the pale areas a lighting effect. There have also been large numbers of Sooty recently nearby . However i don't think you can be entirely sure on those pics.

On plumage - lighting or no - I don't see how these could be sooty shearwater. If I believe Collins/Svensson, they look just fine for Balearic shearwater.

Be aware Balearic Shearwater is extremely rare that far north (i think one record for Shetland for example). I would still tend to go for Sooty with the pale areas a lighting effect. There have also been large numbers of Sooty recently nearby . However i don't think you can be entirely sure on those pics.

On plumage - lighting or no - I don't see how these could be sooty shearwater. If I believe Collins/Svensson, they look just fine for Balearic shearwater.
I should probably explain that I am on an offshore oil platform. A few years ago, I had a Shearwater at close quarters that I am 100% sure was a Balearic, although it was not accepted by the NSBC rare birds committee on description only.

I've no experience of either species seen resting on the sea, but if we consider structure when in flight, both species are relatively short-tailed, but Balearic is much shorter-winged than Sooty, even taking into account shorter body length.

Howell & Zufelt have photos of both species on the sea, and this difference in relative dimensions seems apparent in that Balearic wing primaries don't extend much or at all beyond the tail, whereas Sooty wings extend well beyond. To me the second picture in particular seems to show more of a Balearic wing length in the resting birds.

If the pale areas are not a lighting effect (were they visible through optics, as well as in the photos?) this obviously strongly supports Balearic too. The only other species to rule out is then short-tailed :), recorded off Brittany with Balearic shearwaters and washed up on a beach in Ireland in recent years!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back